Innovative Marine Aquariums

PSYS 3-Gal. Picotope

PSYS

What size CUC did you put in there?

It's a decent mixture of snails + two hermit crabs. I can't say anything bad about any of them thus far. They all have their own little responsibility and job to do... and they do it well. My tank looks really good and I'm very happy with it thus far.

Half the joy is looking forward to going home after work to just watch my tank and what little inhabitants I have thus far. :)

Thanks for stopping by!!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe everyone complimented you on the CUC. No offense is meant, but the Margarita snail is cold water, and will die if left in your tank. The bumblebee snail is a predator on sand fauna, and doesn't really do anything to clean up the thank.

Besides that, looking good though.

Fuge light = the the light that came with the pico when you get the current light for the tank. That is if you still think you might upgrade the light in the future.

Good point. Yeah, I definitely plan on upgrading the light in the future... got the chaeto in the mail today from Needreefunds. Looks great! Nice and green and smells very fresh... :)

I can't believe everyone complimented you on the CUC. No offense is meant, but the Margarita snail is cold water, and will die if left in your tank. The bumblebee snail is a predator on sand fauna, and doesn't really do anything to clean up the thank.

Besides that, looking good though.

:o

My Margarita Snail is doing good... if anyone is the most active in the tank, it's the Margarita. At my LFS (not that this means anything) but the Margarita Snails were in the same tank as all of the other CUC species. I did a search and did find that they're usually able to be acclimated to higher water temps.

For the BumbleBee Snail... he's never even been on my sand. He stays on the rockwork and grazes on algae. I did find the carnivorous part but the few articles I found did say they're able to graze on algae, as well... so they must be omnivorous to some extent...? Hmm...Regardless... the tank is clean and looks good. :) Hahaha.

Heh yeah... working at an LFS I understand how confusing it can be for a customer to see the wrong kind of critters in reef tanks... Unfortunately it can't be helped (we have the same situation at our store, and no matter how many times i bring it up, it doesnt seem to make a difference) ... I guess the point is that a margarita may survive in warmer tank, but might not thrive... and I have read where bumble bees are not reef safe :( I really wanted some, actually had them bagged up when a co-worker brought me an invertebrates book and gave me the DL on em... I guess the best advice is to keep an eye on them and make sure they are doing well and not munching your coral or your good stuff lol... good luck with em!

cant wait to see where it goes from here!

Heh yeah... working at an LFS I understand how confusing it can be for a customer to see the wrong kind of critters in reef tanks... Unfortunately it can't be helped (we have the same situation at our store, and no matter how many times i bring it up, it doesnt seem to make a difference) ... I guess the point is that a margarita may survive in warmer tank, but might not thrive... and I have read where bumble bees are not reef safe :( I really wanted some, actually had them bagged up when a co-worker brought me an invertebrates book and gave me the DL on em... I guess the best advice is to keep an eye on them and make sure they are doing well and not munching your coral or your good stuff lol... good luck with em!

cant wait to see where it goes from here!

That's definitely going to be my plan. So far, so good... but I definitely will not hesitate to bring either of them back. I'm not as concerned about the Margarita because it honestly does seem to be doing okay. Aside from that, if the Bumblebee is an actual predator... I will be more apt to watch him more closely... and I will.

I really appreciate the heads up to you and eschaton! Thanks...

Great setup you got there! Where did you get your rocks from and is it uncure? why so much purple coraline. what dose you using?

Thanks! :)

I got my rock from my LFS. It was in his holding tanks for upwards of 5-6 weeks... so not really "uncured", per se.

As for the coralline... I was actually thinking I wish there were more on the rocks! :o haha. I'm not dosing anything. Just doing regular water changes and maintenance. Nothing else. My salt mix is Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

Thanks for stopping by...

...did a water change this morning and everything looks good. I ordered the submersible LED's from In-Tank yesterday. They're backordered and Steve is on vacation... so he said they should ship sometime next week.

...picked these up this afternoon from my LFS. Not sure what they are but I got a frag of 13 polyps or so. If anyone can ID them, let me know your thoughts! :)

Here they are shortly after acclimating them and placing them in the tank... they're slowly beginning to open.

003-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

some type of zoanthid, i dont know a common name for it

I know it's a zoa. ;)

Just wondering if they had any kind of fancy pants name.

Like 'Lemon Yellow Gumdrops'... the new hot craze of all things coral. :lol:

Ha ha! That's a good name. I tried looking up the zoa directory for you but couldn't find a match. Personally I'm not too keen on all these insane zoa names. As long as it looks good and you like them, that's all that matters. Congrats on your first coral! :happy:

Ha ha! That's a good name. I tried looking up the zoa directory for you but couldn't find a match. Personally I'm not too keen on all these insane zoa names. As long as it looks good and you like them, that's all that matters. Congrats on your first coral! :happy:

I looked, too. Couldn't find anything even close... so, who knows?! :mellow:

But yeah, I like the coloring and I think they're cool. They're opening up more and it's pretty exciting to see.

*yay!*

Thanks for the replies! :)

Yeah, I saw those, too... I think that's a really good estimate. I'm gonna try and take a better photo tomorrow once they've been in the tank for a day or so. Maybe I can get the whole cluster open at once. I'll shoot the photo and post it up.

Woo pretty!! Congrats on the first zoas! B)

Thanks!!

Here's a couple of other better photos I took just before lights out.

One of the guys on the local forum at RC advised it may be a variation of "The Green Bay Packers" zoas...

005-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Nice zoas! They kinda look like sour apple zoas but have more blue in them. Whatever they are, they look great! :)

Nice zoas! They kinda look like sour apple zoas but have more blue in them. Whatever they are, they look great! :)

Hey! Thanks a lot for checking them out... I really appreciate it. Yeah, the coloring is awesome. I like 'em.

Archived