Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PSYS 3-Gal. Picotope

PSYS

OK. Aimed the powerhead nozzle towards the surface of the water for better/more surface agitation. Man, I thought the same thing yesterday when I put that Rio50 in the tank. I was, like, - ugh. That label is hideous. I knew I should've removed it. But then I started aquascaping and got distracted. Haha. I'll have to get it out of there.

When I'm changing the filter floss... should I actually shut off the AC70? Or just yank out the filter floss? I would think the sediment and other crap should be intertwined in the filter floss... in a perfect world, I guess.

Aiming the powerhead toward the surface definitely helped. I'm looking at the pico right now and the water looks sweet. The little waves are cool. B) Haha.

Thanks, you guys.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you dont haveta shut off the AC

Yeah, I figured as much. I removed the filter floss I had in there and just shoved in a bunch of new stuff. There was some sediment on the old filter floss when I removed it. It wasn't terribly bad... but it was there.

I checked out my tank last night when all the lights had been off for a little while. I saw a Bristle Worm approx. 1-inch long or so crawling around on one of my rocks. :) He was a bit too small for a photograph. But he was red in coloring and looked like a little centipede... so I'm assuming it was a bristle worm of some kind.

I checked out my tank last night when all the lights had been off for a little while. I saw a Bristle Worm approx. 1-inch long or so crawling around on one of my rocks. :) He was a bit too small for a photograph. But he was red in coloring and looked like a little centipede... so I'm assuming it was a bristle worm of some kind.

Yep, bristle worm. I have a little pinkish red one in my tank too! Yay for hitchhickers! :D

Came home from work tonight and tested my water just for the heck of it. You guys be the judge.

My temp at the moment is 79.3F

It will dip down to approx. 78.6F in the middle of the night.

During the day, it seems to peak at approx. 80.4F

My apartment stays relatively cool for the most part, even during the worst summer months.

I have an API Saltwater Master Test Kit... so after checking out the little color cards that come with the test kit, here's what I can gather:

My pH is at 8.0

My ammonia level is at 0.

My nitrite level is at 0.

My nitrate level is at 20.

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt mix and my salinity is at 1.024

The tank was born a mere four days ago.

Is my tank near the end of the cycle due to the live rock I obtained from my LFS? I confirmed with the gentleman who owns the LFS again this evening over the phone that the Bali live rock has been in the tank in his store for the better part of 5-6 weeks since his last shipment.

My intentions are to do a water change this weekend and change the filter floss in the back of my AC70.

What are your thoughts?

It seems too soon for your cycle to be up but it's possible. Check your levels again tomorrow and if it's the same or if nitrate is still high, do a 20% water change. Check regularly after that (like every other day or so) to see where your nitrates are at. If your levels are at zero then your cycle is done for the most part but you could get another spike especially when diatoms start to show up so don't get any corals just yet. Continue with regular maintenance and test your levels. Even if your tank cycles sooner than expected I would still recommend waiting a whole month before adding anything. But so far everything sounds good. :)

It seems too soon for your cycle to be up but it's possible. Check your levels again tomorrow and if it's the same or if nitrate is still high, do a 20% water change. Check regularly after that (like every other day or so) to see where your nitrates are at. If your levels are at zero then your cycle is done for the most part but you could get another spike especially when diatoms start to show up so don't get any corals just yet. Continue with regular maintenance and test your levels. Even if your tank cycles sooner than expected I would still recommend waiting a whole month before adding anything. But so far everything sounds good. :)

Sounds good! B) I think I'd be too leery of going out and spending cash on some corals only to have them die on me. It doesn't seem possible that my cycle could have even begun... much less finished? I've not seen any algae in my tank at all except for the little specks of coralline on the rocks. Other than that... no diatoms or anything. I'm definitely not complaining but the only spike I saw last night on my test kit was the nitrate.

I'll plan on doing a water change and keep you guys posted. :)

...been a few days since I posted some pics and made a real update so here goes:

This Saturday (tomorrow) will mark the one-week anniversary that my pico has been up and cycling. Even within the last six days or so, my girlfriend and I have noticed changes in the tank... and more specifically, with our pet rocks. :)

Almost overnight, it seems like we may be getting some algae. Nothing extravagant or unruly... but you can clearly see in the photos below that the rocks are more brown in color. I've been leaving the lights on for approx. nine hours daily. And in lieu of the brown growing all over the rocks, I have noticed some other growth, as well. The coralline algae does seem to be getting more prolific throughout the tank... or at the very least, growing back where it once used to be.

Certain sections of the rock on the far left are very purple and deep red. There are a few small purple things on the rock (eloquent, I know)... they almost appear to be very small polyps of some kind? It sppears "squishy" for lack of better terms... so I don't think it is coralline, but perhaps it is.

See photos below.

My intent this evening after work is to go to the LFS and buy more RO/DI water. I'm going to deem Saturdays as "My Pico Maintenance Day" and do a 20% water change tomorrow. Probably a little more than 0.5 gallons of water as best as I can tell. I'll check the water parameters shortly thereafter and see how I'm doing after that. I'm under the impression that I may not have had as large of a cycle as I was initially anticipating based on the live rock I purchased. Not that I think it is "super duper premium uber-quality" live rock... but because, it was sitting in a large tank being blasted by several powerheads for the last 5-6 weeks at the LFS I purchased it from. But also, I do like the quality of my live rock. B) It's amazing the little things you notice everyday. It seems between my girlfriend and I... we notice something new every day.

Also, I really don't think the evaporation rate on my pico is that big of a deal. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not jet-setting out of the country for months at a time. And if I wanted a hobby that was completely self-sufficient, I certainly wouldn't have purchased or planned on setting up a mere 3-gal. reef tank. If you want a pet that is self-sufficient, go buy a cat.

I probably had two gallons of water remaining in my 7-gal. blue jug as of last week Saturday when I set the pico up. I've been topping off with fresh RO/DI water since then. And I know I still have at least 0.5 gallons left. Maybe a tad more but I doubt much more... at any rate, dumping a cup or two of fresh RO/DI water in the tank when I come home from work at night isn't that big of an ordeal to me. Again, if it were... I wouldn't have even begun this project.

Enough with the blabber. Photos?? ...you bet.

*most of these are with the tank lights off*

001-6.jpg

* in the center of this photo, you'll see that piece of purple whateveryouwannacallit. I've no idea what it is. But it is definitely growing. It looks like a polyp of some sort but I could be wrong. But again, it is growing at an alarming rate! :o *

002-5.jpg

* here is another shot of it from a different point of view. It's in the upper/center portion of this photo. See those little "things" that sort of stick out. Almost like tentacles? ...it's very bizarre. *

003-2.jpg

* more photos of our rocks turning brown. lovely. one other thing I wanted to point out... look over in the cave on the far left hand side of this photo. See that weird gray looking thing?? ...almost looks like a starfish with a couple of legs propped up inside of that little hole? ...that thing moves, too. I don't know what it is. But it is definitely "alive". I'm scared. :scarry: *

004-4.jpg

* I suppose you could call this my FTS. I just call it "brown rocks". *

005-1.jpg

* ...and finally, here's a photo with the lights on. *

007-2.jpg

Those rocks are browning out really well and yes, it's highly possible that you had a short cycle. Cycling is such an exciting process because you never know what's gonna crop up in your tank. The red squishy things you're talking about are forminiferans, think of them as amoebas with a calcareous armor. They're completely harmless and are a good indication that all is well in your tank. :)

Your thread has been a huge help to me as i just got my pico started last night. With Fab's help i modified an AC70 and just got it running this morning... i orignally was using the stock filter over night but now that i have the AC70 going there’s some pretty substantial flow happening. I hope not too much... the thing is also making quite the noise, is that norma, any tips on things i could try to minimize the noisel? Also, conerning the flow – I clipped that tab inside the filter but I don’t think that is enough, I might have to trim down those impeller blades.

Curious if you trimmed your blades down at all? But again, this thread has been a huge help... looking forward to Fab's next post on cycling because i'm not sure what i should be doing next? :huh:

Those rocks are browning out really well and yes, it's highly possible that you had a short cycle. Cycling is such an exciting process because you never know what's gonna crop up in your tank. The red squishy things you're talking about are forminiferans, think of them as amoebas with a calcareous armor. They're completely harmless and are a good indication that all is well in your tank. :)

Glad to hear things are doing well in my tank. I'm actually looking forward to buying water tonight. It must be some kinda sickness I'm developing. LMAO!! :lol:

Your thread has been a huge help to me as i just got my pico started last night. With Fab's help i modified an AC70 and just got it running this morning... i orignally was using the stock filter over night but now that i have the AC70 going there’s some pretty substantial flow happening. I hope not too much... the thing is also making quite the noise, is that norma, any tips on things i could try to minimize the noisel? Also, conerning the flow – I clipped that tab inside the filter but I don’t think that is enough, I might have to trim down those impeller blades.

Curious if you trimmed your blades down at all? But again, this thread has been a huge help... looking forward to Fab's next post on cycling because i'm not sure what i should be doing next? :huh:

Glad to hear you're taggin' along!! :)

I'm trying to payn it forward. I've had a lot of help from Fab and everyone else who has chimed in on my thread. So really, if my thread has been of help... it's because I've had a lot of help myself. But I really appreciate the kind words. Thanks!!

To answer your question, no... I didn't trim the impeller at all. I "turned" the intake tube over to the right as far as it will go to reduce flow through the AC70... but combined with that and the Rio 50 in the tank, it seems fine to me. Granted, I don't have any livestock right now... but at least there's no dead spots in my tank. :lol:

I have been reading your thread but have not repied since the begining. I saw El Fab was keeping track and that is about as good as it gets.

Congradulations on the water, sand, very nice rock and hitchickers. Out side of pods I did not get any hitchers on my pico rock. I did get lucky with some star fish finding their way in there when I got a couple of my corals. Isn't amazing how much time you can sit there looking at rock? Glad thing are going so well for you.

Hmm sounds like you had a really soft cycle... awesome, that means most (if not all) of your hitchikers will make the first couple weeks in the tank. Good to hear! ...tagging along...

The noisy AC 70 is normal- I couldn't stand it at first, but after about 2 weeks mine has quieted down, i suppose they have to break in a bit... I have a 5g minibow and i did dremel down the impeller blades by about 2 mm each.. it helped ALOT with the extreme flow... I could probably even trim them down a bit more if i wanted but i'll see how the corals like it. if you dont wanna mess with the impeller itself you could always go to your lfs and get a smaller impeller, say for a AC 50, which will cut back on the flow as well.

PSYS, I am sooooooooooo jealous of your LR!!! I have NO hitchhikers :( Your pico really makes me want a picotope- and I'm not even done with the minibow!!! lol

It's normal for a brand new AC filter to be noisy but it should quiet down once it's broken in. Same goes for the flow. When brand new, the flow will blow the sand out of the water but over time, and once it's filled with stuff (chaeto, filter floss, carbon, etc.) it will slow down and will get bogged down a lot over time.

Archived