Innovative Marine Aquariums

PSYS 3-Gal. Picotope

PSYS

First, I did find that thread the other day about the possible disadvantages of painting the back of an aquarium. I can't discredit all of the data that has been researched thus far... but as for being unsightly, I can't imagine trying to keep a tank of any caliber without having a background behind it. I think the vinyl applications that you can find at your local petstore look cheap. I think over time, it may be possible to start seeing fraying at the edges and then I'd have the worry about a big fat air bubble being trapped behind it. I figure, to eliminate those headaches... I'd just paint it. To each their own, I suppose. I still think it was an interesting article, nonetheless.

I don't like vinyl applications or fake backgrounds either which is why I don't keep one at all. They're tacky, they look dirty and they look really bad once salt creep starts to build up under them. I can barely see through the back of my tank now that it's covered with coralline algae so your black background won't stay black for very long unless you intend to scrape off the coralline from the back wall regularly. lol I just wanted to make sure you were aware of any effects with painting the back (negative or otherwise) considering it's an irreversible process.

Thanks again for the quick reply... I don't take it lightly and I certainly appreciate all the input. The thread where you've documented the build of your 3-gal. pico was definitely a big inspiration to me beginning mine.

You're welcome! I'm glad I can help. :happy:

1.) For live rock curing, what kind of lighting period does everyone seem to utilize over their pico/nano tanks?

Photoperiod isn't that important during the cycle unless there are visible photosynthetic hitchhikers on your live rock that you want to preserve (e.g. macroalgae, corals, polyps, etc). Running a full photoperiod will only encourage the growth of undesirable algae. You should be able to find a good balance by running a 4–5 hour photoperiod in order to observe your rocks. Otherwise, lighting isn't all that important at this point.

I couldn't find any specifics when I did a search. Is any harm done to the rock when you break it? I didn't know what, if any, damage could be done as far as life on the rock is concerned. If that's the case, I may go *back* to those same LFS stores and see if a chunk of rock strikes my fancy.

This is definitely an option if you're having a difficult time finding rocks that are the right size. And there's no need to worry with breaking the rocks, they'll be fine.

I honestly did forget about the additional live rock I'd be picking up once I begin obtaining corals... oops. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Yes this important! Be sure have several small pieces instead of a few large pieces. Once you start stocking your tank you'll find that a lot of the corals come attached to rocks, some of which may be to too big for your tank so may end up swapping out some of the live rock in your tank as you start adding stuff in.

I want to find the most accurate, yet smallest sized heater available. And I think the Hydor brand fits the bill. I think on DRS' website, it says it's only, like, 7.5" tall. Will this adequately fit in an AC70 when I decide to make a fuge?

The Hydor Theo is what I use and it's the perfect size to put in the AC70.

Random note: I'm really liking the various color morphs that zoas seem to come in. I had no idea. And I know GSP is threatening to take over the world... but dammit, I really like the way it looks as a coral.

Zoas come in a ridiculous array of colors and you're gonna wanna collect them all! :lol: GSP can take over your tank but they can also add a lot of vibrancy and movemet to your tank so it's all worth it IMO. Just be sure to isolate them from other rocks and to watch where they're growing. They grow fast but not fast enough for you to control them if they start taking over.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zoas come in a ridiculous array of colors and you're gonna wanna collect them all! :lol: GSP can take over your tank but they can also add a lot of vibrancy and movemet to your tank so it's all worth it IMO. Just be sure to isolate them from other rocks and to watch where they're growing. They grow fast but not fast enough for you to control them if they start taking over.

How would you go about "controlling" the GSP?

Look, you guys... the tank will be here today:

"Feb 3, 2009 3:16 AM Departed FedEx locationMADISON, WI

Feb 3, 2009 2:02 AM Arrived at FedEx locationMADISON, WI

Feb 2, 2009 5:32 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx"

:)

*yay!* Madison, WI is only 90 min. or so from Oshkosh... so barring an unforseen circumstances, I should have it delivered this afternoon according to their website.

Fab: Thanks a ton for all the info. I'm definitely going to keep the live rock issue in the back of my mind as this project gets underway. Like I said, I think when the time comes I may end up just going back to a couple of different LFS stores to see what they have. I was simply looking for some sweet smaller pieces I know for a fact would fit into the pico when the time comes. I may have a different "eye" if I'm looking for one or two chunks that I intend to break up into a couple of smaller pieces to fit.

I really appreciate your input in my thread!

gsp will not take over as long as you trim it, and I agree it is a beautiful piece of coral. You may also wanto look into lps and sps as they make picos look great if done carefully.

I completely agree. I think the coloring and movement it creates as a coral is interesting enough to watch. :) I just know I've read through a few different threads where people are hatin' on GSP! And I'm sick of it! :lol: Totally joking.

I just got finished looking at several different pics in the "Members Aquarium" section... and some threads show individuals with aquascaping pressed right up against the back wall of the tank.

I thought you wanted the rock in the middle leaving all four sides of the tank open for water flow?? Which is the correct way?

I just want to warn people who put their heaters in the HOB filters. If the filter stops running your tank temp is gonna plummet fast, especially in these small tanks. I came home from Christmas vacation to find my filter not running and my tank temp at 65 degrees. If you are going to be away I would recommend putting the heater in the display until you get back. Just a word of caution!

:angry:

Dammit. I've been checking my FedEx tracking number religiously throughout the day and it was finally updated with a fricken exception. Bleh. I specifically indicated on the special pack instructions when I placed the order - LEAVE AT FRONT DOOR STEP. The driver refused for whatever reason. So now I have to sign their exception card and leave him a note on my front door saying it is okay to leave it on the front door step. Dammit!

No tank today for me. Not that I have anything to put in it... but still! :angry:

How would you go about "controlling" the GSP?

They grow at a glacial pace which is how they sneak up on you. An easy way to prevent them from growing everywhere is to isolate the rock they're attached to on the sand bed. They won't grow on sand. If you have them on rocks just be sure to trim them regularly before they get a hold on any of the neighboring rocks.

I completely agree. I think the coloring and movement it creates as a coral is interesting enough to watch. :) I just know I've read through a few different threads where people are hatin' on GSP! And I'm sick of it! :lol: Totally joking.

You'll start hating them too once you get your hands on them. Actually you'll find the same level of frustration with most soft corals. As sessile creatures you tend to forget that they're living organisms with a mind of their own and they won't always stay where you want them to stay and that can get frustrating especially when they go against your plans. That's why I ended up tossing out my Xenia wall idea because for some reason they didn't want to go on the wall and preferred to go on the rocks instead. At the end of the day you just learn to let go and let them do their own thing and you'll be surprise to see how they move around and interact with one another.

I just got finished looking at several different pics in the "Members Aquarium" section... and some threads show individuals with aquascaping pressed right up against the back wall of the tank.

I thought you wanted the rock in the middle leaving all four sides of the tank open for water flow?? Which is the correct way?

You can have rocks pressed against the back wall as long as there are enough open spaces between the rocks for water to flow through. Just make sure you don't have the weight of the rocks leaning on the glass.

I just want to warn people who put their heaters in the HOB filters. If the filter stops running your tank temp is gonna plummet fast, especially in these small tanks. I came home from Christmas vacation to find my filter not running and my tank temp at 65 degrees. If you are going to be away I would recommend putting the heater in the display until you get back. Just a word of caution!

:o That's a very good point.

Good point. :)

Sooo bummed fedEx didn't leave that damn package on my front door step. Bleh. Oh well. Photos tomorrow of the tank, I guess. I stuck a big sign on my front door. Leave my box on my front door step. *grr* I didn't write the "*grr*" though. I thought I'd leave that out.

Random photo I took at the Milwaukee Zoo last summer of their stingray exhibit.

027.jpg

I hope everyone's having a good night!

Well you picked a good tank there. I have that same water jug. Actually two of them. One is for Ro , the other for nsw. If you are this impatient already , you might want to reconsider ! :o J\k . Things are going to take some time. This site is loaded with pico owners especially the 3 gallon jbj. So you have found the right place. Imo your best bet for good quality Lr is a local reef club. There has to be some one with some coraline covered lr willing to part with 4-5 pounds. Did you check Craig's list? ;) Some one in my area is always selling reefing stuff in my area on there. Gl ! Keep us posted !

Well you picked a good tank there. I have that same water jug. Actually two of them. One is for Ro , the other for nsw. If you are this impatient already , you might want to reconsider ! :o J\k . Things are going to take some time. This site is loaded with pico owners especially the 3 gallon jbj. So you have found the right place. Imo your best bet for good quality Lr is a local reef club. There has to be some one with some coraline covered lr willing to part with 4-5 pounds. Did you check Craig's list? ;) Some one in my area is always selling reefing stuff in my area on there. Gl ! Keep us posted !

LOL. Good point. I think I'm just fed up with FedEx. They nearly ruined my Christmas... okay, not really. I just prefer UPS. I think they're much more customer service friendly. :)

I have thought about Craigslist... and when the time comes, I'll definitely check them out, too.

I signed off on my door tag last night when I got home from work so that the FedEx guy would be kind enough to leave it on my doorstep today. So voila! :happy:

The packaging from Drs. Foster & Smith was really good. Tons of packaging peanuts (all biodegradeable) and the box it came in was very sturdy and heavy duty.

See?

002-1.jpg

So I took it out and everything was very self-explanatory. Honestly, there's not much to it. The 9W light that comes with it was already assembled. Plug it in and you're ready to go. Same thing with the power filter it comes with... put on the cover, plug it in and you're ready to start.... ummm... filtering?

Here it is out of the box and in the spot I'm going to have it.

004.jpg

My Coralife Digital Thermometer and analog thermometer are both on the way. :)

Next on the agenda are more basic essentials:

- Heater (Visi-Stealth or Hydor-Theo)

- Maxi-Jet 404 Powerhead

- Refractometer

- Saltwater Master Kit

- Water + Salt Mix

I think unless I've missed something, this should more or less get me started with getting the tank full of water. :) ...anyone know some good places online to get cheap dry goods? Like the stuff off the list I need? i.e., heater, powerhead, refractometer.

1.) When I initially get some live rock in my tank... what should I do with the power filter that came with the pico? Should I remove all the media? Or leave it in there? Or not use the filter at all? Same question, I guess... once the live rock is all cured, what should be done with the stock power filter or rather the media that came with it? ...in due time, I'll be building an AC70 fuge mod.

2.) Is there any benefit at all with curing the live rock in the tank? Can't I cure whatever rock I obtain in a 5-gal. bucket with the heater and powerhead? And just do weekly water changes? Just seems like it would be a way to keep things clean. Let whatever die-off occurs happen in a bucket rather than the display tank.

Just thought I'd check.

I hope everyone is having a great night!

p.s. Tomorrow I'm going out to my LFS to buy a Naso Tang, two Mandarin Fish, a Seahorse and a Picasso Trigger. They will all be babies so I'm sure they will be fine.

:lol:

I'm totally kidding... I'm only going to buy one Mandarin Fish, not two.

:lol:

Totally joking.

The tank looks awesome. Are you going to paint the back of the tank? Congrats on the tank

Yeah, I'll paint the back of it this weekend. I'm using a flat black spray paint that works on glass. :)

cool tank. nice and clean right out of the box lol. is the JBJ glass? i know one of the 3 gallon is acrylic right?

i like the shape of that tank. later on after i doo good with my 5.5 i'll get that put everything into that and make a 5 gallon sump great idea. not now though :) great tank, nice shape

cool tank. nice and clean right out of the box lol. is the JBJ glass? i know one of the 3 gallon is acrylic right?

i like the shape of that tank. later on after i doo good with my 5.5 i'll get that put everything into that and make a 5 gallon sump great idea. not now though :) great tank, nice shape

Thanks!

Yup, it's glass! Very clean lines. Really contemporary looking. I think it's the Deco Kit pico that's acrylic. But yeah, the JBJ is glass. I was really surprised by the build quality. It's a sweet looking tank... :)

Thanks!

Yup, it's glass! Very clean lines. Really contemporary looking. I think it's the Deco Kit pico that's acrylic. But yeah, the JBJ is glass. I was really surprised by the build quality. It's a sweet looking tank... :)

sweet it looks amazing cant wait to c it stocked :) yeah rite now im going with fowlr bc no good lights but i'll place an order on the lights sometime :) have a 5.5 chek it out

I'll be following very closely. I was pretty set on a 20-30 gal tank a while back but put it off because I couldn't find the right spot in the house. I've been lurking for a week and have decided to try a pico on my home office desk. I will be getting the same tank as you with the fuge AC70. I don't think I'll paint mine as I expect to have plenty of growth on the back wall that will block that panel anyway. For lighting I will be getting Current 2x18 I think but that's some time from now. Please take lots of pics and update often. I'm feeling like you felt a week ago (just planning it out).

Congrats on the Tank!! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :ninja:

Thanks! I'm pretty excited! :) It's a really cool little tank.

I'll be following very closely. I was pretty set on a 20-30 gal tank a while back but put it off because I couldn't find the right spot in the house. I've been lurking for a week and have decided to try a pico on my home office desk. I will be getting the same tank as you with the fuge AC70. I don't think I'll paint mine as I expect to have plenty of growth on the back wall that will block that panel anyway. For lighting I will be getting Current 2x18 I think but that's some time from now. Please take lots of pics and update often. I'm feeling like you felt a week ago (just planning it out).

Thanks for watching the update... I really appreciate that. Hopefully, people with the same tank who have the same and/or similar questions will be able to get the same knowledge and info I'm looking for.

The CurrentUSA Dual Satellite fixture seems to be a pretty common lighting upgrade with the pico. I'll eventually go that route but for now, I know it isn't necessary just to get some water in the tank.

The AC70 fuge mod is also something I plan on doing... but again, I know it isn't a requirement in getting started.

I think you'll be pleased with the JBJ 3-gal. pico set-up. It would be perfect for a home office, office space or just a little tank in a commonly used work area... the lines are really clean and the tank itself honestly looks like a piece of furniture. I think my girlfriend and I were equally surprised when I took it out of the box. I guess for $39... I was expecting something fairly cheap looking. Like a toy. Far from it though. It is a very contemporary looking aquarium that will look even better when it's stocked with corals. :)

Good luck on your journey!

Glad you like the Picotope! It really is a nice tank right out of the box. Anywho, I've updated my Pico Guide and you might find Part 5 relevant and helpful to where you're at right now.

I know a couple of people were a little lost with the fuge mod tutorial (not just you) so I will go back and try to clarify it more. Good luck with the new tank and happy reefing! :)

Awesome.... thanks, Fab! :)

Not sure if anyone saw my questions on the previous page of my thread that I posted last night...

1.) For dry goods... anyone know of a cheaper (and reputable) place online to get them? I think right now, from what I can... Big Al's Online seem to have the most competitive pricing for most dry goods. I'm referring to the heater, powerhead, test kit, etc, etc. Even with a $5 coupon code I've found online for Drs. Foster & Smith... they still can't touch Big Al's. Not a huge savings... but a savings, nonetheless.

2.) Is there any real benefit to curing live rock in the display tank? I guess I'm thinking in terms of keeping things on the clean side. It just seems like tossing the rock in a 5-gal bucket with pre-made saltwater, a heater and a powerhead would allow any die-off to occur in the bucket rather than in the display tank. Check the water parameters and when it's all good... arrange the rocks in the display tank however you like eliminating die off and making things dirty in the display tank. Thoughts?

Welp, I'm off to work pretty soon...

Have a good day, you guys! :)

You only need to cure live rock separately if you have an established tank otherwise if you're just setting up you can cure the rock in your tank just fine and will only make your cycle even juicier. Any debris from die-off will get thrown out when you do the big water change at the end of your cycle.

As for dry goods, I usually buy from Drs. F&S, Big Al's and Marine Depot, depending on who's cheaper for that particular item I'm buying. I usually make a list of things I need and buy them all at once to save money on shipping.

Archived