Top Shelf Aquatics

PSYS 3-Gal. Picotope

PSYS

Got up bright and early this morning when my girlfriend had to go to work. Did my usual tank maintenance and ended up moving the rock a little further back in my tank to allow for more room up front for additional frags. :huh: Crazy, I know.

When I moved the live rock back, there were at least four Bristleworms that I counted that were probably an inch long or so. omgomgomg Damn, one second they're there... and the next, they're gone. It's scary!!

So... I was finally able to catch a photo of the little guy I added on Thursday evening. I split shipping with a guy in my local reef club and ended up getting a Blue Sapphire Damselfish a.k.a. Springer's Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) He is beyond adoprable. He has SO much personality, it's crazy. He's already got some spunk to him and an attitude to boot! B) He's out in the open a lot more and I can already say that my pod population has diminished severely. His coloring his simply beautiful... bright royal blue with a hint of purple and tiny black splotches of paint scattered around his head, dorsal fin and "upper" body. He's probably an inch long... maybe 1.25" if I pulled on him from end to end. :lol:

I took 20 photos this morning of him after I did my water change and tank maintenance... and this is about the best one that came out.

Without further adieu...

013-2.jpg

The other thing that I am super excited that I've already mentioned a couple of times is my local reef club meeting this afternoon. This is the first meeting I'll be attending and I've already met a couple of really nice guys in the process of joining this reef club. I'm actually bringing a couple of plastic bags to carry all of the frags I'll be getting today. :P hahaha.... yay!!

Pics will follow shortly.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...just got home from my local reef club meeting. wow. awesome experience. I got to meet so many cool people!! Plus?? I got a bunch of new frags. The tank is pretty grumpy, overall right now... but I did snap a few photos. More are coming, I promise. Just gotta give the tank a couple of days to settle down...

I also ordered the Coralife Dual Timer online this morning. I figure, I'll need it once I upgrade the lighting. AND I think the various timer settings will come in handy.

Here a few photos...

** fishy **

013-3.jpg

One of my Nasarrius Snails must've smelled something good earlier...

001-23.jpg

** another shot of my baby **

004-16.jpg

** this mushroom is really growing in this spot **

007-9.jpg

** new corals!! ultra blue cloves & unknown pink zoas with brownish/gray skirts **

016-2.jpg

** another shot of the blue cloves **

021.jpg

** better shot of the new zoas **

020.jpg

Again, more photos are forthcoming... but the rest of the frags are REALLY grumpy so photos would be worthless. I'll take some photos once they open up.

Dude those are some sweet new additions. Congrats.

Thanks, man!! I really appreciate it... I got a couple of other goodies but they're still looking really grumpy.

:( Hopefully, tomorrow they start looking a little better.

LOVE the fish...very pretty color. and love the new frags. great choices all around :)

Thanks for stopping by Gena!! I just checked out your thread for the first time today and love your tank!! :)

Oh yeah!! Me likes the new editions, lookin good man, lookin GOOD! :)

Thanks!! :)

I'm hoping to snap some better pics today and show off the rest of what I got. :D

So frustrated with my camera. It simply doesn't have the capability to take a decent close-up shot when we're talking about small frags to begin wtih... bleh. :( My camera is great for every day life but nano reef photography definitely isn't it's specialty. I can get a decent shot with it to save my life.

* green palys *

003-13.jpg

* no idea what these two tiny polyps are... they're so small, I can't even tell what color they are *

004-18.jpg

* zoa garden *

004-17.jpg

* crappy photo of yellow palys *

010-4.jpg

* no idea what these are but they're bright orange *

011-1.jpg

* super crappy FTS *

013-4.jpg

* another crappy shot of the bright orange zoas *

015-3.jpg

thats a great fish! is it a Saphire Damsel?

Yup!! Blue Sapphire Damsel... a.ka. Springers Damsel.

Great little fish (when he's the only one in the tank and not able to kick the crap out of other tank inhabitants) :P

WOW! the new additions look awesome Scott!

Thanks, Josh!!! :P

My camera does not do the new frags any justice whatsoever. I think the curved front glass of the picotope make it difficult, as well. Dammit!! Oh well... not a big deal. I'm happy with the new frags. :happy:

Did you get any new toys over the weekend for your pico?

Did you get any new toys over the weekend for your pico?

Yep :) hopefully you'll see a new pico [build] thread later in the week.... B)

My blue cloves are already beginning to grow. :scarry: They've got longer "stalks" on them and they're definitely more blue from the day I acclimated them. I have the frag they're on literally sitting in the middle of my sand bed away from my live rock. I know it'll only be a matter of time before they begin plotting to take over my little pico.

Everything else in my tank is growing. Not only growing... but thriving. My Green Bay Packer zoas are beginning to creep upwards onto the rock in back of them. The pinkies in the far left are beginning to inch their way downwards. My Goochsters are also inching their way upwards onto the rock.

I also defrosted a cube of mysis shrimp last night and "injected" a little into the water with my turkey baster and everyone seemed very happy. I only feed the tank once every 7-10 days because I'm paranoid about phosphate levels rising and horrific algae outbreaks. It seems to work well.

Damn, is it really only Tuesday?? :(

el fabuloso

This tank gets fabulous by the day! I have those orange zoas in my tank, they definitely add a lot of color. Looks like you'll have a nice zoa garden in no time! :)

Congrats on the damsel, good choice and a great addition! Beware of blue cloves, though they're really not as ominous as they appear. ;)

This tank is gonna grow in very nice :D

Thanks for looking!! :)

wow! i love your zoa collection. :happy:

Thanks!! Yeah, the zoa garden is coming along nicely...

I really like your aquascaping!

Thanks, Josh!! :) I got the aquascaping on my first try and I didn't fiddle around with it too much. I'm glad it worked out that way.

This tank gets fabulous by the day! I have those orange zoas in my tank, they definitely add a lot of color. Looks like you'll have a nice zoa garden in no time! :)

Congrats on the damsel, good choice and a great addition! Beware of blue cloves, though they're really not as ominous as they appear. ;)

Thanks for looking, Fab!! :) I really like the Damsel... he's really active and has some spunk to him. haha. Hopefully, the blue cloves don't go all renegade on my tank and start takin' over... :scarry:

** Evidently, while playing around with my camera today... I discovered 'underwater" mode takes better photos of my pico. :happy: I don't understand exactly what it is the underwater mode is doing to the camera from a technical standpoint. It's almost as though the cameras auto-focus system seems to work a lot better. I've always had the ISO set at the lowest setting... anyway, check out the shots I got today.

003-14.jpg

005-8.jpg

004-19.jpg

007-11.jpg

008-4.jpg

009-4.jpg

007-10.jpg

Archived