Cultivated Reef

Gerber's 5.5 Pico

Gerber77

Nothing new with the tank as of right now. I haven't seen the tank with it's lights on in weeks due to school and work. I do wish I had more movement in the tank in terms of fish of shrimp, I'm thinking about Adding a tiny damsel possibly. What do you all think?

I have been getting very good growth lately.

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing new with the tank as of right now. I haven't seen the tank with it's lights on in weeks due to school and work. I do wish I had more movement in the tank in terms of fish of shrimp, I'm thinking about Adding a tiny damsel possibly. What do you all think?

I found when i introduced the fish the zoa's got annoyed and closed quite a bit but i think that was because the fish tried to host everything in the tank. It not hosts a mushroom and the mushroom is open all the time and about 3inches across so i'm well happy. I'd deff add some cheato if you don't use it to mop up the unwanted nitrate. I'm sure you have enough rock for filtration...Get a juvi yellow tail damsel, they are immensely patterned.

A damsel will rapidly out grow the tank

I vote for a small goby of some sort

cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are really cool too

Work and school and lifting have been working my ass over lol. The tank is just growing like crazy but its in need of a solid cleaning.

Any spare time I have is being dedicated to the freshwater tank right now, I had 3 cherry barbs spawn, and some cory cats have laid eggs as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude, lets have some pics. I used to love checking out your zoas. This forum seems to have lost all the interest from the winter. All the cool kids have stopped updating or torn down. Did you ever see if kev got his 40g up and running?

Buds is right. I had to take this tank down, with school, work and football I was just neglecting the tank too much. The corals just weren't popping as much as they used to so I moved the livestock to my parents tank. I really miss having a tank and I have that itch to start a new one everyday but it's just not possible today. I have 2 more years left of school so I'll

probably be twnkless for 2-3 years but I would love to have a huge reef later down the road but maybe in a year or two I'll start another pico.

• 2 months later...
I'll probably be twnkless for 2-3 years but I would love to have a huge reef later down the road but maybe in a year or two I'll start another pico.

I can totally relate. I was tankless the four years I was in college.

look who's back from the dead!it's nice seeing you back :) dude,where you've been?

how's the tank? :)

I have been so busy with school and football. College ball is extremely demanding physically and mentally along with school I havent had much free time. But its nice coming on and seeing how great everybodys tank looks.

I moved all the livestock from my 5.5 to my parents tank and from what I hear everything is growing really well.

I can totally relate. I was tankless the four years I was in college.

I have 2 years left and there is no way I could maintain a reef. Possibly a freshwater tank in the off season but I really dont wanna hassle with it. But I am planning a huge reef once I get my career going.

• 8 months later...

A few people have asked if I still have pictures from this tank, I have found a couple scattered through photobucket. These are from the beginning of the tank, maybe 3 months old. I added more rock about a month after these pics.

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

I really miss it my friend. I miss fragging the most though, more than anything in the hobby. I was getting halfway decent at it too until football took me away.

Needreefunds
I really miss it my friend. I miss fragging the most though, more than anything in the hobby. I was getting halfway decent at it too until football took me away.

I'm sure you do. Cutting and propping corals is as addicting as the hobby itself.

But we both know what usually happens when we don't have the time to properly care for our tanks -_-

Hopefully you will have the time to play again in the near future. Until then keep hanging around here :happy:

Definitely! I miss the thrill of trying to acquire a bad @ss zoa/paly collection. Cutting, growing and trading was a ton of fun over that year. I would be extremely happy if I could keep a tank during the season with a couple frags and let them grow out until Im free to prop and trade again to obtain another sweet collection. The right deal and perfect plan would have to fall into place in order for that to work but we all will see. Hopefully it does.

Archived