Coral Vue Hydros

Gerber's 5.5 Pico

Gerber77

Well for the new year Ive decided to start a new tank. Its gonna be a pico and I will be taking it with me to college next year. Feel free to leave all the comments and criticisms you want. Ill start off with a running total of how much it was.

5.5 gallon AGA w/ CF light fixture- 18.99

20 watt Coralife 50/50 bulb- 16.99

5 lbs Caribbean Live Sand- 9.99

50 Watt heater-12.00

Aquaclear 70- 35.00

Catalina 20 Powerhead- 5.00

3 pounds Tonga Branch LR- 15.13

6 pounds live sand- 9.00

Filter floss- 2.90

TOTAL- 125.00

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

-planned purchases/additions

5 lbs live rock-free

Stocking Plans-

1 green banded goby

small CUC

Zoas/Palys

Ricordea

Xenia

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PERFECT THREAD FOR ME

i have this exact tank laying around and wanna do the same exact thing! I plan to do very similar setup just with sexy shrimp , pom pom and small goby

Where did you get the light from?

I bought the light from the lfs, its just a screw in bulb fixture. The tank, light and glass hood came as a package from the lfs. I'm sure petco will have a similar hood.

Thanks nanoty, I took some pictures from today. I painted the back and added everything. Its nice to see it up and running.

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

Thats what I was thinking too, Im gonna take two more medium pieces from the 20.

Well that's cool then.

I was surprised to see you doing a pico, and I'm interested to see what you come up with for this.

My little 5.5g that I originally started for the tank contest is doing awesome right now, I really need to post some updates.

Anyway, GL with this.

nice little tank!

the only thing, my heater, that was just like yours got really hot like boiling water temps, so just keep an eye out on that.

or maybe mine was a defect :P

Right on. I must say that the Aquaclear 70 is the quietest filter Ive had so far. This tank is on my bed stand and I can barely hear it

yeah those things are pretty nice, i have a crappy version of the aquaclear 110, its so loud!

i cant wait to see those bigger rocks in there

The rocks should be going in today or tomorrow, but idk I kinda like the open look right now. We'll see how it goes. Here is my side view from when Im laying in my bed.

bedtime.jpg

If you get a medium-size house socket and an electrical cord, you could put in a second 20w/10w bulb on the other side so the light is more even. It would only cost you about $10 or so for the 10w so it would really make a difference for not that much money.

Following along buddy. Nice start.

That's a nice idea Trav has there too.

Any possibility of fitting the heater in the AC70?

Just a thought. :)

edit, meh, nvmnd.

After further review....looks like the heater is too long, and not of the submersible variety.

thanks Richie and trav- I'll look into that extra light. As far as the heater, it's doesn't fit in the 70 but I'm still looking for a fully submersible heater that I can fit inthe filter.

Archived