SaltCritters.com

Gerber's 5.5 Pico

Gerber77

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nor_Cal_Cuber

Great start. What a deal on the AC70, that is CHEAP! I love Aquaclear. . .so quite, only back pack I'd put in my bedroom. I took the beads and carbon out and filled it with lr/dead coral and it filtered my old 34 quite nicely.

I would consider some power compacts with a bit more power if your reffing the tank, Catalina will retro fit a nice hood for cheap for that tank, complete with electric ballast and all, or just buy:

T-5 reflector, $5

Power compact Socket: $8

Clip for bulb: $1

External ballast: $10 (good for Picos that get hot in summer)

PC Bulb: $8 for 34w maybe $15 for 65w.

I made a PC light out of those parts for my sump.

thank you for the suggestions I really appreciate it. I'm running the carbon in the tank now and I think I'll switch over to chemipure elite. I have some cheato coming in so the three levels will be chemipure, filter floss then the chaeto.

Definitely looks better with the new rock, I approve!

Reading this thread prompted me to finally update my 5.5g thread, go check out the new pics!

Thanks Weetie, Youre tank looks awesome. I have some updates today. I added 6 more pounds of live sand, took out the ceramic rings in the filter and added lr rubble and filter floss. Rearranged the rocks a little and toop some pictures.

New sand, I like it much better!

IMG_2232.jpg

FTS

IMG_2233.jpg

Another angle

IMG_2234.jpg

View from my bed

IMG_2235.jpg

The branch is from the lfs tank but the other rock is from my 20. I bought the branch labeled as "cycled" but I dont want to take chances on this tank. I will test the water tonight, Im in no hurry so I dont plan on adding a CUC for another 2 weeks.

Love the tank I will be following along. I am setting up a 5.5 also but started with the light first then got the tank. Found a Coralife 12 in. 36w. for a steal someone was cleaning out there garage and it was still in the box.. Will be robbing rock and sand form my 20 also.

Man I love the look of Tonga Branching Live Rock. It always looks so awesome once it gets growth on it. I can't wait to see some corals in there.

:)

Thanks man, Im thinking of going back and getting a couple more pieces, then making the tank with all tongan branch. I plan on covering the rock with zoas and have another piece with ricordeas.

Yea, I think it'd look cool with another tonga branch arching from the left side to the right high-point. LoL, makes me wanna yank out all my LR and go with tonga, but that'd be counter-productive :happy: .

Haha, I'd be in trouble then. As it is, right now I'm dismantling two of my tanks and just keeping my larger tank :P

I took youre advice and got another arch, well a few more. I added a few more pounds and redid the scape. I like it now. Pics will be up soon.

I like it. What r ur stocking plans I dont know if I read it or not...

Thanks.

Stocking Plan:

Fish- green banded goby

Inverts- 3 sexy shrimp

coral- zoas/palys, xenia, mushrooms, ricordea, and other soft corals

Ricordea and mushrooms might be hard to get attached to it, well I guess you could always superglue them. I can say I've never seen a ricordea arch lol.

The ricordea I want to put on the arch have a little rubble attached to them so I was going to superglue the rubble to the arch. Pics are uploading now

FTS

IMG_2237.jpg

Closer look

IMG_2240.jpg

Side View

IMG_2241.jpg

Right side arch

IMG_2242.jpg

Turquoise and purple coraline growing

IMG_2245.jpg

ID Gurus help needed, I think its piece of coraline......it doesnt move

IMG_2247.jpg

looks AMAZING with the tonga.

yeah so i cant order the lights right now :( but im just gunna stick with fowlr check my thread out i have some questions on it and PICS :) please lol thanks

Archived