Cultivated Reef

coralcor's RSM with new tunze and in tank stuff! new fish soon i hope

coralcor

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love google:

"This type of algae outbreak typically occurs when a tank is just completing or has finished the nitrogen cycling process, new live rock is introduced, as the curing process can add nutrients when some organisms on the rock dies off, or tank maintenance has been neglected. It is a normal occurrence, as diatoms are one of the first to appear in the chain when the tank conditions are conducive for algae growth, and is usually a precursor to other forms of desirable and undesirable nuisance type green macroalgae."

Read more here:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa091100.htm

You did not had the big green algae right?I had,it was a big jungle as you could see in my aquarium thread,it's a normal procedure...

I think your algae grow is just starting,there is nothing you can do about it,it's all part of starting up a salt water aquarium with live rock.This is also why i did not add the substrate for the bottom,allot of dirt from the stones lands on it and the algae grows on it wildly.Here is how mine looked:

post-41579-1233796288_thumb.jpg

Gotta love google:

"This type of algae outbreak typically occurs when a tank is just completing or has finished the nitrogen cycling process, new live rock is introduced, as the curing process can add nutrients when some organisms on the rock dies off, or tank maintenance has been neglected. It is a normal occurrence, as diatoms are one of the first to appear in the chain when the tank conditions are conducive for algae growth, and is usually a precursor to other forms of desirable and undesirable nuisance type green macroalgae."

Read more here:

You did not had the big green algae right?I had,it was a big jungle as you could see in my aquarium thread,it's a normal procedure...

i remember reading that. lol nope never had hair algea. because it was a move (1:30 hours) so i had small die off and the dead yellow monti cap witch i kept in there and i shouldent have.

ok i just found 2 aptasia lets say 1/2 an inch each these things suck! how did i not see them yesterday?

Gotta love google:

Read more here:

I think your algae grow is just starting,there is nothing you can do about it,it's all part of starting up a salt water aquarium with live rock.This is also why i did not add the substrate for the bottom,allot of dirt from the stones lands on it and the algae grows on it wildly.Here is how mine looked:

see now that would piss me off. but not much mroe than the damn aptasia

what is this?

DSC_0212-1.jpg

heres the original pic

DSC_0212.jpg

ok im deff thinking thats a ric. it looks kinda red. but red rics... do they exist? but we will have to wate and see watch it grow out its kinda cool!

and i think theres sumin wrong with my xenia....

DSC_0048-1.jpg

full shot

DSC_0048.jpg

its all jacked up..... its still pulsing so...... looks like sumin bent him... but i havent been in the tank at all today so idk

what is this?

DSC_0212-1.jpg

heres the original pic

DSC_0212.jpg

These are pseudocorynactis aka ball anemones.

They are a relative of mushrooms/Callimorphs.

These are pseudocorynactis aka ball anemones.

They are a relative of mushrooms/Callimorphs.

RELY? im gona have to look up some pics! how big do they get?

thanks

corey

edit: thats what i is i thin look here!

cool i was sayin a few days a go that in teh future i wanted an anemone

RELY? im gona have to look up some pics! how big do they get?

thanks

corey

edit: thats what i is i thin look here!

cool i was sayin a few days a go that in teh future i wanted an anemone

They usually don't get any bigger than a dime. I have had one for over a year.

I would chill with the aipX and Joes. I tried joes and it messed my water up. I would put two pepps in there and have them compete for the aip. I tried the pepps and they took care of it in about 3 days.

About the brown and yellow algae.....it's part of a cycle just relax and let it be. Also try to limit your light to no more than 10 hrs a day going forward. Congrats on the RSM and take it slowly.

If you want an anemone be ready to have your hands in the tank quite a bit until he finds a resting place for a few months then starts over. During his treks he will sting all your corals and try to get into your powerheads. That was my experience at least.

They usually don't get any bigger than a dime. I have had one for over a year.

I would chill with the aipX and Joes. I tried joes and it messed my water up. I would put two pepps in there and have them compete for the aip. I tried the pepps and they took care of it in about 3 days.

About the brown and yellow algae.....it's part of a cycle just relax and let it be. Also try to limit your light to no more than 10 hrs a day going forward. Congrats on the RSM and take it slowly.

If you want an anemone be ready to have your hands in the tank quite a bit until he finds a resting place for a few months then starts over. During his treks he will sting all your corals and try to get into your powerheads. That was my experience at least.

yea... i gota make my lights come one later but say on till i go to bed so i can still watch them...

and i wasnt planing on getting an anemone for a year or 2. was gona up grade stock lights to LED but gota save up some $$

thanks

corey

ok so today we when serchign and found another LFS not so great crappy lights on the corals only 2 tanks had MH on them the rest were like 2 bulb T5... diddnt look like T5-HO. but othre than that it was pritty clean and i got this

DSC_0038-2-1.jpg

and some snails... no pics....

and i think beleave it or not i might be bleaching my monti cap.....

before

DSC_0005.jpg

after

(top bown)

DSC_0031.jpg

normal

DSC_0028.jpg

its about 1/2 way up the tank... i might have to re scape to make it lower...

any one think other wise..

Do you actually read what people are saying?It has been said allot of times,just let it BE!

what are you talking about? im just sayin i think the coral is to high up... so i might need to move it to get it lower.....

i believe it's just getting to his normal color..

oooooooo ok i see what you are sayin... now.... sorry for being so defencive.... that makes good sence.... not gona move it lol

thanks

corey

"Montipora capricornis are known for their spiraling vase shape and are usually uniform in color. A specimen which is brown in the wild may change to various colors including pink, purple and green when kept under the lighting in our reef tanks."

"Montipora capricornis are known for their spiraling vase shape and are usually uniform in color. A specimen which is brown in the wild may change to various colors including pink, purple and green when kept under the lighting in our reef tanks."

o i c... thanks..... i think its gona stay an orange light buy the way it looks now.

Archived