Pod Your Reef

GirlGoneAqua's BC14 (NEW PICTURES Actinic 2/10)

GIRLGONEAQUA

GIRLGONEAQUA

the tank is completely stock no upgrades! the only thing i suggest is taking out the bioballs and sponge in the back chamber. then you should be a-ok. I also dont use the stock filter pad, try using real cut-out-yourself carbon pads

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chironerd21
the tank is completely stock no upgrades! the only thing i suggest is taking out the bioballs and sponge in the back chamber. then you should be a-ok. I also dont use the stock filter pad, try using real cut-out-yourself carbon pads

Thx!! .... So i was wondering how did you make a refugium? The middle chamber only has half filled with water? What did you use for lights?

Yea we took out everything so its empty right now....

Oh by the way... I was wondering do you spot feed your brain coral and w/ what? I got a red open brain and elegance coral... wondering should i spot feed them also?

GIRLGONEAQUA
Thx!! .... So i was wondering how did you make a refugium? The middle chamber only has half filled with water? What did you use for lights?

Yea we took out everything so its empty right now....

Oh by the way... I was wondering do you spot feed your brain coral and w/ what? I got a red open brain and elegance coral... wondering should i spot feed them also?

ok to anwser the first question, when reading the manual it going to tell you that you should fill it half way or the designated spot, but go ahead and fill till all 3 chambers are filled to the top before overflowing to the front view of the tank. maybe leave an inch or two below top overflow.

I dont have lights for the refugium but i put my Cheato into a net bag and placed it in chamber 2 and took the bottom tray and put it on top instead of using the orginal top tray.

I do not spot feed my brain, he rarely opens his mouth. I use phytoplankton and put two drops in my tank every week.

GIRLGONEAQUA
Lookin Good GGA!!! So when we gonna trade for some of those teal looking zoas.. ;)

whatcha got to trade?

:P

chironerd21
ok to anwser the first question, when reading the manual it going to tell you that you should fill it half way or the designated spot, but go ahead and fill till all 3 chambers are filled to the top before overflowing to the front view of the tank. maybe leave an inch or two below top overflow.

I dont have lights for the refugium but i put my Cheato into a net bag and placed it in chamber 2 and took the bottom tray and put it on top instead of using the orginal top tray.

I do not spot feed my brain, he rarely opens his mouth. I use phytoplankton and put two drops in my tank every week.

Oh! We just filled the whole tank full of water, then once the pump started the middle and last chamber dropped the water level to 'Maximum" line on the side... is this okie?

As for you cheato... if you don't use light, would they die off? I thought you needed light for them to grow?

Oh i m using phytoplankton as well, just wondering would the brains like a meaty meal also?

• 3 weeks later...
GIRLGONEAQUA

First off I have a few questions

1. I looked into my back sump today and saw a MILLION pineapple sponges! are they harmful, what should i do?!

2. My Goniopora does not want to open up anymore, since MARCH its been closed up, do they prefer more flow or less? I cant get it to be normal again :(

Heres a cool picture I took of my plate, much better after its fight with the killer peppermint shrimp from hell!

post-35118-1240200264_thumb.jpg

1. Pineapple sponges are harmless, leave them alone.

2. Gonies are one of the more difficult corals to keep alive... didn't someone tell you this a while back?

GIRLGONEAQUA

I knew they were one of the hardest corals to keep alive but all i did was move it 2 inches from its orginal spot and it freaked out, so i moved it back over, and now it NEVER opens.

GIRLGONEAQUA

this isnt the first time its done this, when i first bought the damn thing it didnt open up for the first month. i know it eats and is still alive because it puffs up all day/night, just doesnt show its polyps

GGA:

Tank is looking superb! Makes me want to get a biocube 8. but i know my wife would kill me.

Enlighten us with a FTS please.

Paleoreef103
IMG_5489.jpg

Crab in the Grass LOL.

Nice porcelain crab. I dig it. BTW my badly damaged Acan is doing much better. I'd say about 8 of the ten polyps it had at it's peak are dead, but the last two are puffing up again. Something it hadn't done in a long time. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
davidncbrown
killer peppermint shrimp from hell!

I had one of those... almost killed my entire birdsnest over night. He also would pick on my clam's mantle :angry:

Oh btw sorry about your brain.. It really sucks to loose a coral like that. I've had some close calls with my blastomussa and my KH dropping to like 5. It just randomly happens sometimes I wish I could explain it.

GIRLGONEAQUA

I am sorry to say everyone my tank crashed last week and i lost my brain coral and double headed torch.

my alk was at a 4 and i had no idea that this was going on due to the fact i was buying premade water high in calcium. iv gone back to making my own SW and the levels are at 9 right now.

corals are making a comeback once again :tears: I plan to buy a new brain in the future because my poor baby clown has made a bed out of sand and sleeps on that where the brain used to be. he really loved that brain...

Sorry to hear about your tank crash and loss of corals.

I lost all my fish when the power went out for 3 days while I was on a business trip in November :(

Hope you find a new brain that you like. I think mine is one of the coolest pieces I have in the tank.

Archived