Cultivated Reef

I feel like a noob

jeremai

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see that rock from another angle.......................

:lol:

So I have this idea of stocking the tank with corals in all shades of green, top to bottom, a couple green gobies, and an emerald crab. I like green, and I'm in this artistic monochromatic kick currently.

:huh:

That's what I'm thinking - the green corals will act as camo. With my algae experience I'll need it, lol.

But yeah, all green corals (including a bright green Moseleya if I can find the damned thing), an emerald crab, and a mated pair of rusty gobies for contrast. Sounds like a sweet tank to me.

Well, a lot of green corals have other warmer colers mixed in, but hopefully it won't end up too Christmas-y, lol. That would get old kinda quick.

I don't want to be too noobish and rush things. I can wait a couple more weeks.

I popped my Taam Rio nano skimmer dealio on there. That thing works like a charm, I don't know why everyone complains.

Also, I'm still trying to decide if I just want to keep the 32w PC on there or rip apart and DIY something with my 150w MH. My stocking list doesn't include anything that needs MH (the Moseleya and Duncans would be the closest thing to light-hungry, and even then...), but I kinda just want the thrill of telling the idiots at the LFS that I have a 150w MH over a 5g tank.

150w halides, I love telling the idiot at one of the crappy LFSs they're wrong. He told me aiptasia is a coral and think all SPS are acros! Oh also said that a pink-tail trigger was reef-safe. I don't buy anything from them anymore. I istick to the one that I know the owners of and who give me free corals! :D

150w halides, I love telling the idiot at one of the crappy LFSs they're wrong. He told me aiptasia is a coral and think all SPS are acros! Oh also said that a pink-tail trigger was reef-safe. I don't buy anything from them anymore. I istick to the one that I know the owners of and who give me free corals! :D

Well I think the idiot is right. Aiptasia is a nem, which is a type of coral, so................. :huh:

But maybe I'm mistaken?????

Well I think the idiot is right. Aiptasia is a nem, which is a type of coral, so................. :huh:

You're joking.... right?

You're joking.... right?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Aiptasia

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Cnidaria

Class: Anthozoa

Order: Actiniaria

Family: Aiptasiidae

Genus: Aiptasia

Aiptasia is a genus of a symbiotic cnidarian belonging to the class Anthozoa (sea anemones, corals). Other well known cnidarian groups include the jellyfish (Class Scyphozoa), the hydroids (fire coral, and the genus Hydra), and the box jellyfish (Class Cubozoa). Aiptasia is widely distributed tropical sea anemone of benthic lifestyle typically found living on mangrove roots and nearby hard substrates. Interestingly, this anemone as well as many other cnidarian species is found to contain symbiotic dinoflagellate unicellular algae of the genus Symbiodinium living inside nutritive cells. The symbionts provide food mainly in the form of lipids and sugars produced from photosynthesis to the host while the hosts provides inorganic nutrients and a constant and protective environment to the algae. Species of Aiptasia are relatively weedy anemones able to withstand a relatively wide range of salinities and other water quality conditions. In the case of A. pallida and A. pulchella, their hardiness coupled with their ability to reproduce very quickly and out-compete other species in culture gives these anemones the status of pest from the perspective of coral reef aquarium hobbyists. Ironically, these characteristics make it easy to grow in the laboratory and thus it is extensively used as model system for scientific study. In this respect, Aiptasia has contributed a significant amount of knowledge regarding cnidarian biology, especially our understanding of cnidarian-algal symbioses, a biological phenomenon crucial to the survival of corals and coral reef ecosystems. The dependence of coral reefs on the health of the symbiosis is dramatically illustrated by the devastating effects experienced by corals due to the loss of algal symbionts in response to environmental stress, a phenomenon known as coral bleaching.

Nems are inverts......................

Nems are inverts......................

There is the same order as corals, which contains multiple families all of whom you consider "corals"..................

I don't want to be too noobish and rush things. I can wait a couple more weeks.

I popped my Taam Rio nano skimmer dealio on there. That thing works like a charm, I don't know why everyone complains.

Also, I'm still trying to decide if I just want to keep the 32w PC on there or rip apart and DIY something with my 150w MH. My stocking list doesn't include anything that needs MH (the Moseleya and Duncans would be the closest thing to light-hungry, and even then...), but I kinda just want the thrill of telling the idiots at the LFS that I have a 150w MH over a 5g tank.

Why go through the hassle of dealing with that extra heat? Let me know how it works out with the pcs though, I have 3x32 on my next project and I am wondering if I should cull it down to 2.

The chiller's already hooked up, heat isn't a factor.

You know, it's been a while since I've had a tank this small - I have no idea if a single 32w 50/50 will be enough for softies and a couple LPS corals in a 5.5g tank. But then, a lot of other people are using a 2x18w fixture, so...

You know, it's been a while since I've had a tank this small...
*gasp!* so you're not really one of us!?!?!!

you're...you're one of them!!!

sutherland.jpg

I got bored so I modded the Aqualight so the arm would face the opposite direction (and fit the tank).

IMG_3908.jpg

150w MH it is, lol. I gotta replace the bulb though - icky.

Archived