inTank Media Baskets

I feel like a noob

jeremai

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5.5g tank with one large 10lb rock. The flow is from a Mag5 moving through a chiller. You can see the outlet in the pic. It creates a gyre around the rock - so far, the flow patterns are awesome. there's a 32w lamp over it while it cycles until I can figure out how to make my Aqualight Advanced fit.

Tell me, oh Sarcophyton King: what are the req's for a yellow leather?
wine and soft muzak. do some research, nooblet!

:P

elegans, right? intermittent flow/wavemaker, high-intensity lighting (mh) in the lower range is my prefs (no higher than 10000K for main lighting), actinic supps are nice but not necessary imo, carbon, periodic cleaning for 'dust' buildup, good alk but not high alk.

correct flow is needed imo. not strong or directed, more periodic indirect/buffeting.

also, make sure it's elegans we're talking about. there's two similar types that have slightly different requirements imo. serenei and some latum-hyrbrids are more leathery and irregular in polyp spacings. elegans is very regular in polyp spacings and golden coloration when healthy/happy.

make sure there's nothing else (especially other po'd sarcos) around to bother it. i.e. if some one starts crying or b!tching & moaning, chances are they will b!tch & moan even louder (severe allelopathy) and drown everything out.

wine and soft muzak. do some research, nooblet!

:P

elegans, right? intermittent flow/wavemaker, high-intensity lighting (mh) in the lower range is my prefs (no higher than 10000K for main lighting), actinic supps are nice but not necessary imo, carbon, periodic cleaning for 'dust' buildup, good alk but not high alk.

correct flow is needed imo. not strong or directed, more periodic indirect/buffeting.

also, make sure it's elegans we're talking about. there's two similar types that have slightly different requirements imo. serenei and some latum-hyrbrids are more leathery and irregular in polyp spacings. elegans is very regular in polyp spacings and golden coloration when healthy/happy.

make sure there's nothing else (especially other po'd sarcos) around to bother it. i.e. if some one starts crying or b!tching & moaning, chances are they will b!tch & moan even louder (severe allelopathy) and drown everything out.

I am doing research - you're the one with all the info, so I asked you! And yes, elegans is what I'm thinking. Maybe coming off the side of the rock, with assorted shrooms and polyps in the 'shade'. Although, the flow is constant and laminar from the gyre - not sure how the leather would respond to that.

Or maybe I'll stick the Rio Nano skimmer on there and put some Montiporas up top to create the shade. Not really sure yet.

I like the one big rock. It this gonna be softy dominated?

Probably.

I think it looks nice!

thanks. :)

And yes, elegans is what I'm thinking. Maybe coming off the side of the rock, with assorted shrooms and polyps in the 'shade'. Although, the flow is constant and laminar from the gyre - not sure how the leather would respond to that.
well, if it's off the 'surface' flow (not hitting the rock) there could be a lower zone hugging the rockwork that it could be happy with. as it grows into the higher flow zone it'll change and shift/move accordingly.

also depends on the size of the frag/coral, of course.

a bigger tank affords more possibilities though.

for that 5.5g, i dunno. unless you're talking about a super tiny frag (5~10 polyps) you might have to plop it in the open water area anyways. not sure how the flow works in that tank. i.e. where's low-flow/hi-flow, rocks getting any direct blasts, etc.?

The outlet is pointed down behind the rock. The right side of the tank where the water whips around is fairly high flow, but the empty side of the tank on the left is med-low.

idk, maybe the Montis would be a better idea. :)

Archived