Pod Your Reef

I feel like a noob

jeremai

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

inorite? For some reason I prefer my reef tanks dirty and disheveled but the rest of my life clean and organized. Go figure.

Well, it is related to the Mystery wrasse... ;)

Some more pichers of my new corals from LiveAquaria.com. All five frags are or were green - I say were because the protopalythoas have bleached completely white. :( Oh yeah, the Discosoma carlgreni's are from dshnarw.

Also a somewhat better photo of the wrasse. Lalani, you have the same camera - do you notice the banding across the image when shooting JPG? I've never seen it before, but then I almost always shoot RAW. :unsure:

eleven.jpg

fourteen.jpg

thirteen.jpg

twelve.jpg

wrasse1.jpg

Maybe the LA worker was colorblind?

Purdy wrasse, but no, I've never seen that banding before. :wacko:

Is that the only shot it appears on?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Reformatted the CF card, still there. Tried two different cards, still there. Gotta be a sensor issue. But, since it doesn't show up on RAW files, I'm not going to stress about it too much.

Ok guys, I'm getting ready to do my second water change ever on this tank, four gallons. :scarry:

:mellow:

not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing at this point...

lol, inorite? We'll see what happens. I can't even tell where the seagrass is anymore, so when I vacuum all the cyano off the sand I doubt I'll have any seagrass left. :(

ok, water change is done. whew, that was stressful. also, some of the halodule definitely took root, it was strong enough to not get sucked up. woo hoo!

• 2 weeks later...

A mushroom died. Tank is covered top to bottom with cyano, no end in sight. This tank is getting torn down as soon as I get water in the 56g.

le sigh. :tears:

slippy steve

oh man, that sucks. sorry to hear. It is crazy how this hobby can take intense swings. I am soo jealous of you being able to set up a 56!

any idea what killed the mushroom?

No idea. There's nothing in the tank but a wrasse and a snail, and everything was doing fine until a couple days ago. I noticed my thomases were all shriveled up and started snooping around, only to find one of the red Carlgreni shrooms all fuzzed up and stringy. I took it out and did a water change but I think it was just enough to put things over the edge; I siphoned all the cyano out yesterday, and today it is back nearly as strong.

pfft.

Nick's Reef

Jer, suck all the cyano out then do a three day black out with a trash bag over the tank. I used to get nasty cyano blooms about every 3 months in my ap24 until i started rinsing the frozen mysis and this took care of it, might have to do multiple blackouts but normaly one does the trick. Hope you can beat this stuff, i feel your pain I hated that crap and still do. Dosing vodka will help too.

What a noob.

Sorry, had to. :flower:

Sorry about the mushroom, and the cyano trouble.. Hopefully the larger tank will be easier to maintain.

Jer, suck all the cyano out then do a three day black out with a trash bag over the tank. I used to get nasty cyano blooms about every 3 months in my ap24 until i started rinsing the frozen mysis and this took care of it, might have to do multiple blackouts but normaly one does the trick. Hope you can beat this stuff, i feel your pain I hated that crap and still do. Dosing vodka will help too.

I've done three blackouts since I started the tank. By the time the photoperiod is over the first day with the lights back on the cyano has popped back up, and by the end of the second day it's as if the blackout never happened.

What a noob.

Sorry, had to. :flower:

Sorry about the mushroom, and the cyano trouble.. Hopefully the larger tank will be easier to maintain.

Hopefully. I'm more worried about the thomases than anything else.

Archived