Top Shelf Aquatics

I feel like a noob

jeremai

So, I've been doing some digging around regarding the coral in the above post, Phyllangia americana. One source puts it in Caryophylliidae, the same family as Euphyllia spp. and Catalaphyllia. Interesting. I would have guessed Dendrophyllidae, but then looks are often deceiving in this hobby.

Anyway, thanks to John at reefcleaners.com for the frag - or I guess the mother colony, as it turned out. :)

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

First picture makes me think of a baby plate. Second picture though makes me hesitent to label them as such because they look more like what is refered to as a cup coral that is normally found on florida live rock. Although the fleshy first picture makes me doubt this as well as the fact that they have some color. Which puts me back at baby plate for an id (are there even fungid that are native to the Atlantic since I'm assuming John found this locallly?). Question when they are annoyed can you see a skeleton? Could you take a picture of them when annoyed and post it for me please? And then theres the tiny one down on the bottom of the rock that well makes me question everything a little bit more. Good luck getting an id and when you do please let me know. :) Whatever it is is purty. :)

:mellow:

So, I've been doing some digging around regarding the coral in the above post, Phyllangia americana. One source puts it in Caryophylliidae, the same family as Euphyllia spp. and Catalaphyllia. Interesting. I would have guessed Dendrophyllidae, but then looks are often deceiving in this hobby.:)

:unsure:

:mellow:

:unsure:

Sorry I missed that. :blush: I was kinda stressed out yesterday and rather incoherent in my thoughts as you can see :blush: So please just ignore me. :):flower:

http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=t...s&id=346430

Add "worms" to your google search

So, who's to be believed - WoRMS or CITES? ITIS? GBIF? The URMO information (on WoRMS) is unaccepted as a replacement for Milne-Edwards and Haime, 1849 because the Cairns, Hoeksema & van der Land study was about European species, not Western Atlantic species. I've never referred to WoRMS for this very reason. They contradict themselves too much - for example, at the bottom of the page you linked to it cites the Milne-Edwards and Haime, 1849 paper as its source, which is clearly not what they referenced. Also, elsewhere on the site this page is found, lol.

;)

Sorry I missed that. :blush: I was kinda stressed out yesterday and rather incoherent in my thoughts as you can see :blush: So please just ignore me. :):flower:

aww, no worries. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

thanks. :)

I added some frags from the 56g, a little sarcophyton and some zoanthids. the caulerpa is taking over but I'll probably trim that back today. still no change in the codium. :(

yeah, it's not growing, but it's not dying either. I was hoping it would fill out that corner of the tank so I didn't have to buy anything else to put there. paying cash for my new car kinda quashed my coral budget, lol. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

ok, an update on the most boring tank in the world...

some purdy zoanthids that are growing fairly quickly:

growth.JPG

and three shots of my Phyllangia feeding:

phy1.JPG

phy2.JPG

phy3.JPG

and a video of said feeding time:

Awesome video. And nice choice of music. ;)

thanks. I heart me some mraz, lol.

nom nom nom :happy:

Oh, and I recently bought some zoas just like those!

I love em. I think they came in a frag pack from live aquaria.

nice pics and i like the zoas too. can we get a FTS?!

as soon as I get around to scraping coralline off the glass. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived