Cultivated Reef

just got a 2g for 3 buxx!... its a sad day today...

pismo_reefer

Protein skimmer may not help that much in such a small tank. It might do more harm than good actually.

Less food and more often water changes will be for effective in clearing up your algae problem.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have a 3 gallon JBJ and I do them once every 2 days. Everyday if I have time.

If you're feeding so much then you definitely need to pick up on the water changes.

ohhhh....thats alotta wc's...

is everyday really okay? i know its a small space and the bacteria repopulate the water column quickly, but i's jus wundren?

hom much evryday?

Actually, there should'nt be much bacteria in the water column to begin with. At least that's what they taught me at marine biology class...

So everyday water changes should'nt hurt.

The amount of bacteria in the tank also corresponds to the amount of nutrients for them to consume. If the nutrients are removed mechanically the bacteria wont be needed to such a large extent.

Best of luck

Yea, removing water has a very minimal effect on the bacteria population.

I make sure to match the salinity and temp. just right, and then it's basically like nothing happened to the tank, it just got cleaner.

You don't have to do them everyday by any means, I'm just letting you know what I think would help and what works for me.

i just finished doing a 60% WC....i cleaned my glass w/ a razor and sucked up all the cyano.

im thinkin 60% every 2 days from now on... overfeeding wont happen again, as i only have sexy's in here now...(and they eat pellets).

any suggestion on CUC? atm i only have an astrea, a baby nassarius, and a boatload of stomatella's....and the 4 sexy's.

I think your CUC is fine. Actually, the most effective CUC member is yourself, especially if you siphon out detritus and unwanted algae during your water changes.

I think your CUC is fine. Actually, the most effective CUC member is yourself, especially if you siphon out detritus and unwanted algae during your water changes.

i never thot about it, but i guess thats pretty true.:D

so...i did a massive algae scraping and a 60% WC, and all appears to be well. no more fish, and no more overfeeding for this guy! no sir. i learned that lesson.just sexy's and WC's every 2days from now on...heres some nice, clean, happy pics of the pico....

hey look...its a sexy!

DSC00845.jpg

someone's turning blue... :) (if its not already named, im calling it a 'texas blizzard')

DSC00853.jpg

lookin great!

DSC00838.jpg

these amaze me right now.

DSC00851.jpg

macro-ish

DSC00851-1.jpg

tanks shots

from the right side.

DSC00841.jpg

FTS!

DSC00858.jpg

so waddya think?

damn that is definately a sweet looking zoa.

thanks. im gonna grow these into a huge mother colony and frag em out locally cuz no one else hs em round here.

edit: woot! 1000th post!!! omgomgomg:lockdown::haha::naughtydance::owned:omgomgomg:happydance:

I think your 60% water change plan might be a little overkill. There was mention on these forums a while back that some people noticed a decline in coral growth and health from such frequent water changes. Stick to 20-25% once a week, and stop over feeding (which it seems you are now doing).

wheres lalani when you need her?

You rang? I have no idea about IDing polyps.. I just call them zoas and palys, sorries!

edit: woot! 1000th post!!!

Noob. :P

Noob. :P

:unsure:

:happy:

I think your 60% water change plan might be a little overkill. There was mention on these forums a while back that some people noticed a decline in coral growth and health from such frequent water changes. Stick to 20-25% once a week, and stop over feeding (which it seems you are now doing).

ya...i just wasnt sure.

i think im stickin with about 50% weekly. (and pellet foods only)

Good job cleaning up the tank. I have never done daily WC but it seems like overkill unless you are still having a problem.

thanks, only tooko me abut 15 minutes start to finish.

and for real...im a lil tooo lazy for daily WC's...and it just seems a little wrong.

i added chemi pure today...and a kenya tree frag.

DSC00872.jpg

DSC00859.jpg

sexy's...

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

sexy fight!

DSC00871.jpg

tank shots...

left

DSC00864.jpg

center

DSC00867.jpg

right

DSC00865.jpg

FTS!

DSC00862.jpg

any opinions?

Looking good Pismo. I think when the time is right, I am totally going sexie. Do you feed pellets everyday to keep them from picking at corals?

Archived