SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

That's surprising! I figured he was too small to be aggressive like that. Spunky fish!

He's an adult 2-3/4" male...the Rics are nearly 6" across :)

• Like 1

He's an adult 2-3/4" male..the Rics are nearly 6" across :)

Oh! Wow, he looks deceptively small because the rics are so big. :) makes the rics that much more impressive!

Wow! Now I know not to let mine grow indefinitely in my 4g :) Yours are beautiful!
Nano sapiens

Wow! Now I know not to let mine grow indefinitely in my 4g :) Yours are beautiful!

Not to worry. It's safe to say that most people's Rics stay quite a bit smaller (and thus more manageable). This is likely due to the higher flow typically used these days.

• Like 3

Thanks! The only flow in my 4g is from the return pump, but hopefully they won't get too big. I don't think I could stand to try and cut them back.

Nano sapiens

Thanks! The only flow in my 4g is from the return pump, but hopefully they won't get too big. I don't think I could stand to try and cut them back.

I trim the larger ones when I want more light to reach the smaller ones. Never had an issue doing this. Not recommended for Rics that aren't in the best of health, though.

Nano sapiens

By trimming, like cutting a piece of it off (that has no mouth?)

Sure. On occasion ive takne the whole mantle off leaving just the mouth and around 1 - 1/2" diameter. In ~2-3 months it grows back in again.

Red_Blenny

Sure. On occasion ive takne the whole mantle off leaving just the mouth and around 1 - 1/2" diameter. In ~2-3 months it grows back in again.

This is my face right now:

W4QaF64.gif

I'm impressed, I would never ever thought about trimming a florida. I figured that if they get big, I'll let them stay big but I've noticed that some of my floridas are overlapping my other smaller floridas.

Nano sapiens

That clownfish video is adorable. :wub:

:) It was a spur-of-the-moment thing that I couldn't pass up capturing on video

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Picked up (literally) a couple nice pieces this weekend. Fragged the encrusters into tiny mini-colonies and placed them all over the place to see how they do in different lighting and flow areas of the tank, so pics will have to wait until they grow out. The technique works great with encrusting corals like Pavona and Leptoseris and I've been successful growing colonies, some from pin-head size clumps of tissue. Should be interesting when they all get bigger and start encroaching on each other ('Coral Wars', part deux!).

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Picked up (literally) a couple nice pieces this weekend. Fragged the encrusters into tiny mini-colonies and placed them all over the place to see how they do in different lighting and flow areas of the tank, so pics will have to wait until they grow out. The technique works great with encrusting corals like Pavona and Leptoseris and I've been successful growing colonies from pin-head size clumps of tissue. Should be interesting when they all get bigger and start encroaching on each other ('Coral Wars', part deux!).

Pictures! :)

Cool strategy on the encrusting corals- I bet that'll cover more surface area in less time.

Nano sapiens

Pictures! :)

Cool strategy on the encrusting corals- I bet that'll cover more surface area in less time.

Absolutely :)

It's also a great way to drastically lesson the chance of lossing a coral type since multiples are growing in different locations (assuming that the tank doesn't crash, of course).

HarryPotter

Absolutely :)

It's also a great way to drastically lesson the chance of lossing a coral type since multiples are growing in different locations (assuming that the tank doesn't crash, of course).

Nice!

I WANT PICTURESSSSSSS (Sorry for being so demanding :P )

Speaking of stirring...and balance...

I just came back from a 5 day vacation and my tank walls were so full of brown algae I could hardly see into the tank. The tank was not fed in my absence.

What makes this so unusual is that normally I can go 4-5 days until I start to see a small dusting of algae. I feed twice daily (dry food for the fish in the morning, frozen for the fish and aminos/coral food in the afternoon)...plus daily stirring of the sand bed. I speculate that the bacteria in the sand bed were deprived of the daily nutrition source they were using to denitrify and stirring distributed some bacteria into the water column for consumption while the remainder naturally repopulated (phosphate usage/sequestering). With both processes interrupted, nitrate and phosphate were then abundantly available for the algae to utilize, hence the algae bloom.

A good example of how a tank 'gets used to' a certain routine...and what can happen when the routine is interrupted. Consistency in regards to tank feeding and maintenance practices are often overlooked, but they rank right behind water parameter stability, IMO.

So interesting!

I had no idea...he looks so tiny but your ricordeas are giants :wub:.
  • Like 1
Nano sapiens

I had no idea...he looks so tiny but your ricordeas are giants :wub:.

Big fluffy pillowy things they are. I think they saw a Carpet Anemone on my monitor and decided that's what they wanted to be when they grew up :)

The all-green one (Haitian Ric) I measured at nearly 10" across when it had 3 mouths...then it split into large separate polyps. The tissue is so puffy on this one, in particular, that it could almost float!

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

Over the weekend someone asked for a pic of a Ric with a ruler for reference. This is a single mouth Ric (I have a bigger one, but it has three mouths)

Stainless 6" ruler with one side down by the lower tentacles and the other at the top, so around 5-1/2" (somewhat squished) :):

Ric Measurement_060915.jpg

• Like 11

Damn, it makes me want to lower the flow but my other corals (especially a few floridas) gets pissed/unhappy when the flow is too low...

Over the weekend someone asked for a pic of a Ric with a ruler for reference. This is a single mouth Ric (I have a bigger one, but it has three mouths)

Stainless 6" ruler with one side down by the lower tentacles and the other at the top, so around 5-1/2" (somewhat squished) :):

Ric%20Measurement_060915_zpshj2xwq1z.jpg

Show off! :P
Nano sapiens

Damn, it makes me want to lower the flow but my other corals (especially a few floridas) gets pissed/unhappy when the flow is too low...

It's certainly a balancing act in these mixed-reef tanks.

Show off! :P

:D

At least you now know that I'm not 'blowing smoke' when I say they are close to 6" :)

• Like 1
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic