Just ran all parameter tests @ 6 pm (main lights off at 4:30 pm):

79F - Temp

8.3 - pH

8.8 dKh - Alk (Salifert)

430 ppm - Ca (Salifert)

1.026 - SG

0 - PO4 (Salifert)

<1 - Nitrate (Elos)

Hit the 7 year mark on this little nano. Still put-putting away with just LR and LS :)

12g%20FTS%207th%20Year_071815_zpswjfypkj

Taking good pics is one of the hardest parts of this hobby! Here's a corner shot of some Sunny D's, Speckled Apple Cider and Mohawks I added to the tank many months ago as single polyps (heavily manipulated to try and get true-to-life color, but just can't get the blues right...)

12g%20Zoa%20Corner_071815_zpskoljin2m.jp

And a little RR 'Ironman' unknown LPS (probably a Lithophyllon sp., which is basically a Plate Coral (Fungia) that stays attached to an object). Very cool little coral that grows like crazy when fed daily:

12g%20RR%20Ironman_071815_zpsdmc9k4pm.jp

I've got quite a few Leptoseris mini-frags growing out as well as some single polyp Zoas/Palys, but I'm going to let them grow for a few months more before I take pics.

For anyone who's been following this tank thread for 7 years I hope it's been of value.

Congratulations on 7 years!! Wow this tank still looks great :) I really like the Setosa (looks like fire!) and that Lithophyllon is so beautiful! I've only seen the green-blue ones!

• Like 1

your sunny Ds are so pretty! mine lost a bit of colors since i got them. i wonder if it's too much light...

but congrats on 7 years! is this the longest running TOTM????? or even longest running nano on NR????

HarryPotter

your sunny Ds are so pretty! mine lost a bit of colors since i got them. i wonder if it's too much light...

but congrats on 7 years! is this the longest running TOTM????? or even longest running nano on NR????

Haha I think the pico vase is 11+?

Nano sapiens

Seven years?!?? That's crazy

Congratulations on hitting that milestone- you're an inspiration for your fellow nano reefers!

Thank you :)

Nano sapiens

I find the Sunny D's to be quite light sensitive. If I increase my violet/blue channel even a little, they tend to expel Zooxanthellae right away. I used to run more white light and they were even brighter then, so considering the orange/yellow they emit they likely require more of the warmer colors than the typical 20K blue can generate to show their brightest coloration. The 'Speckled Apple Cider' paly in the center is a very vibrant and unusual blue color, but impossible to accurately show in a pic. For size reference, the SAC in the center is the size of a quarter and the largest Sunny D about the size of a nickel. Some of these corals seem to get abnormally large in this tank...

Definitely not the longest running tank on NR, but possibly the longest running not using any chemical or mechanical filtration (?).

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Congratulations on 7 years!! Wow this tank still looks great :) I really like the Setosa (looks like fire!) and that Lithophyllon is so beautiful! I've only seen the green-blue ones!

Thanks! Should rename this setosa to: 'LE Raging Inferno Burning Up Da House Setosa' ;)

The Ironman is the only coral in the tank that actually became more red under LEDs (most red corals go more orange-ish for me). The tentacle tips are bright yellow in real life, which contrasts nicely with the rest of the coral when they wave around in the current. If you look closely at the pic you'll see the original frag size as a round impression slightly off to the top-right with a single mouth in the center. All the surrounding tissue has been added in maybe 1-1/2 months, so definitely a super grower :)

• Like 2

I find the Sunny D's to be quite light sensitive. If I increase my violet/blue channel even a little, they tend to expel Zooxanthellae right away. I used to run more white light and they were even brighter then, so considering the orange/yellow they emit they likely require more of the warmer colors than the typical 20K blue can generate to show their brightest coloration. The 'Speckled Apple Cider' paly in the center is a very vibrant and unusual blue color, but impossible to accurately show in a pic. For size reference, the SAC in the center is the size of a quarter and the largest Sunny D about the size of a nickel. Some of these corals seem to get abnormally large in this tank...

Definitely not the longest running tank on NR, but possibly the longest running not using any chemical or mechanical filtration (?).

is there a thread with a list of the longest running active nano?? I know when I looked through all the past TOTM articles, most of them have been taken down or the OP has not been active for awhile now.

Nano sapiens

is there a thread with a list of the longest running active nano?? I know when I looked through all the past TOTM articles, most of them have been taken down or the OP has not been active for awhile now.

Not to my knowledge. Brandon's Pico Vase is still going and I think it's around 9-1/2 years old if I remember correctly.

Pretty amazing tank you've created! How old is that setosa- great growth pattern

Thanks. The setosa was one of the earliest stony coral additions to the tank, so it's been in there for around 6 - 1/2 years. I got this one at a local club meeting from member 'Purpleup'.

• Like 1

Congratulations on 7 years! That is such a huge achievement! Loved the most recent photos, especially that shot of the zoanthids. Lovely colors on those!

Congrats on 7 years! I can't figure out the SunnyD's. Most of mine are faded but growing well, the ones in the shade have more color but seem less healthy. :)

Nano sapiens

Congratulations on 7 years! That is such a huge achievement! Loved the most recent photos, especially that shot of the zoanthids. Lovely colors on those!

Thanks, Felicia. Tank is still young ;)

Congrats on 7 years! I can't figure out the SunnyD's. Most of mine are faded but growing well, the ones in the shade have more color but seem less healthy. :)

Thanks. As for the Sunny D's, these get a bit more white light than most tanks get these days, so that may be a factor. They also get fed daily, which may also be a factor. The 'Specled Apple Cider' were much more difficult. They looked awful for a few months until I started the daily feeding program and then they perked right up within a week or two.

• Like 2

Hit the 7 year mark on this little nano. Still put-putting away with just LR and LS :)

For anyone who's been following this tank thread for 7 years I hope it's been of value.

Congratulations on the anniversary! Your tank is looking lovely and lush as always.
Nano sapiens

Having removed a large Red Planet type Acro and a bunch of Oxide Zoas earlier, I've found some space to go crazy adding mini-fraggies :).

For the record (to be re-photographed in maybe half a year to see the changes):

12g%20Right%20Side%20Rear3_072115_zpsbqa

1. BOP Birdsnest

2. Unknown Browned-out Birdsnest

3. Sunset Monitpora

4. Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseris (barely visible)

5. Rasta

6. AOL Molten Lava Leptoseris

7. Gold Maul

8. Petroglyph

9. Blue Hornet

10. AOL Molten Lava Leptoseris

11. Utter Chaos

12. Strawberry & Cream Leptoseris

13. Ponape Birdsnest

I did a good job of browning out the Birdsnests, but they are slowly coming back. Fluctuating alkalinity while on vacation as well as keeping them out of the water too long to glue frags to their rock... :(

'Leptoseris Row' (all started from tiny mini-me frags):

12g Leptoseris x3_2_072115.jpg

Close up of the RR Fallen Horizon and Jack'o'Lantern Leptoseris showing the interesting colors and textures:

12g%20Leptoseris%20x2_2_072115_zpslqwicg

• Like 7
Nano sapiens

Such a condensed area with minimal aggression?? Looks very natural like a real reef

These guys will start competing for space, but it'll take a while to grow out. Growing corals from mini-frags has the advantage that the corals tend to develop more tolerance vs. adding larger frags/colonies that will often wage war right away. They also will develop growth forms that are based on the tank conditions which tends to make for a more natural look IMO. Just takes a lot more patience/time...

The Zoas and Montis/Leptoseris will spread outwards and the Birdsnests will grow upwards. I anticipate that I will eventually have to keep the fastest growing Zoas in check like I do with the Oxides.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

These guys will start competing for space, but it'll take a while to grow out. Growing corals from mini-frags has the advantage that the corals tend to develop more tolerance vs. adding larger frags/colonies that will often wage war right away. Just takes a lot more patience...

The Zoas and Montis/Leptoseris will spread outwards and the Birdsnests will grow upwards. I anticipate that I will eventually have to keep the fastest growing Zoas in check like I do with the Oxides.

Well planned out - do you have a lfs you trade. I am heading out to NorCal for work 1st week in Aug. I think. I am going to Daly City and Walnut Creek- is that near your area- any lfs I should visit?

Nano sapiens

Well planned out - do you have a lfs you trade. I am heading out to NorCal for work 1st week in Aug. I think. I am going to Daly City and Walnut Creek- is that near your area- any lfs I should visit?

Not too far from Walnut Creek, actually. Diablo Corals is the closest to WC. The Fremont/Hayward/San Jose area is the motherload. Off the top of my head: Aquatic Collection, California Reef Co., Neptune Aquatics.

I tend to spread my business around to many different stores as I'd like to see them all do well.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Love the new mini frags :)

You said you feed daily, what foods do you use? Did you have to do more frequent water changes after you started?

I feed the clownfish flakes and pellets in the morning and also broadcast feed by pinching some of this food between my fingers in the water to make a slurry. In the evening I feed the clowns frozen, either brine enriched with spirulina, mysid or LRF (no rinsing). Once a week I feed them newly hatched earthworms from the compost bin...yummy :) . The corals then get target fed a mixture of AAs, OysterFeast and ReefRoids/or ground flakes/pellets every evening.

I haven't had to change my 5%/2x week WC's, even with the increased feeding. PO4 and NO3 consistently stay low. I aerate the SB daily and remove detritus/mineralized particles weekly. Both process, along with regular WCs, have kept the system very stable.

Sk8n Reefer

Not too far from Walnut Creek, actually. Diablo Corals is the closest to WC. The Fremont/Hayward/San Jose area is the motherload. Off the top of my head: Aquatic Collection, California Reef Co., Neptune Aquatics.

I tend to spread my business around to many different stores as I'd like to see them all do well.

Great, thank you, I was able to visit Neptunes in San Jose about 2 months ago after they moved to their new location- nice store- lots of new tanks and hard goods and an impressive sps collection of frags.

Nano sapiens

Great, thank you, I was able to visit Neptunes in San Jose about 2 months ago after they moved to their new location- nice store- lots of new tanks and hard goods and an impressive sps collection of frags.

Yes, Robert's new store is quite nice and a lot less cramped.

• Like 2
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic