SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Hey! Great FTS - your tank looks so crisp and clean! Great shot

Thanks! My old camera is not bad at auto-fucusing, but I'm still working on that magic set of camera settings/conditions that would give more accurate color rendition. The colors down on the sand bed, especially, are washed out.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Thanks! My old camera is not bad at auto-fucusing, but I'm still working on that magic set of camera settings/conditions that would give more accurate color rendition. The colors down on the sand bed, especially, are washed out.

I like the dark clown- maroon? More shots of the digi though- hiding in the back- so much life on that main rock ?

Nano sapiens

I like the dark clown- maroon? More shots of the digi though- hiding in the back- so my life on that main rock

One is a Misbar Black and the other is regular Ocellaris. I tend to break my Digi branches often, but I'm trying not to with the Purple one to see if it'll make i to the surface. The Bubblegum Digi is fine, but still adjusting to the new surroundings.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Do the zoos/polyps bother the setosa- I edited my other post- I meant to say so MUCH life on the rock

The Oxide Zoas bother everything, but the Setosa reacted by growing straight up. Setosa could be the poster-child coral for 'passive-aggressive' as it will try various non-confrontational strategies to survive including over-topping whatever is encroaching on it. It was in the process of overtopping the Pavona maldivensis, so I had to cut it back recently. Much respect for this milktoast's bag-of-tricks.

One of the most interesting parts of having an older, mature tank is observing the different corals' strategies in dealing with itheir neighbors once everything grows together. All the stony corals you see on the rocks were started from 3/4" or less frags which eventually results in the 'grown together' look that I think suits a small nano well.

Next FTS I plan to take some pics all around the tank, including the corals in the back. It's a whole lot more difficult due to where the tank sits and the way the canopy covers most of the tank top (no easy way to raise it up).

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

The Oxide Zoas bother everything, but the Setosa reacted by growing straight up. Setosa could be the poster-child coral for 'passive-aggressive' as it will try various non-confrontational strategies to survive including over-topping whatever is encroaching on it. It was in the process of overtopping the Pavona maldivensis, so I had to cut it back recently. Much respect for this milktoast's bag-of-tricks.

One of the most interesting parts of having an older, mature tank is observing the different corals' strategies in dealing with itheir neighbors once everything grows together. All the stony corals you see on the rocks were started from 3/4" or less frags which eventually results in the 'grown together' look that I think suits a small nano well.

Next FTS I plan to take some pics all around the tank, including the corals in the back. It's a whole lot more difficult due to where the tank sits and the way the canopy covers most of the tank top (no easy way to raise it up).

Nice , so do you trade in your frags to a lfs? Looking forward to more pics- the longevity of your tank is just one of the impressive aspects. What is that you here about "old tank syndrome" doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Nano sapiens

"Old Tank Syndrome'...now there's an interesting topic. IMO, OTS is intimately tied to the sequestering of nutrients within the system. Large tanks can hide the effects for a long time due to the large water volume and substrate area, but in a small tank time is not on one's side. Small tanks typically lack the larger animals that can assist in liberating detritus for mechanical removal, too.

Lesson learned from my time with this nano tank is to keep detritus levels in check wherever it occurs and not to neglect cleaning under the LR once in a while, too.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

"Old Tank Syndrome'...now there's an interesting topic. IMO, OTS is intimately tied to the sequestering of nutrients within the system. Large tanks can hide the effects for a long time due to the large water volume and substrate area, but in a small tank time is not on one's side. Small tanks typically lack the larger animals that can assist in liberating detritus for mechanical removal, too.

Lesson learned from my time with this nano tank is to keep detritus levels in check wherever it occurs and not to neglect cleaning under the LR once in a while, too.

Ya that's one of my concerns- with the large volume of rock I have it's difficult to clean close to most rocks. I did move things around a few months ago after I completely rescaped but there are 3 larger rocks that I have never moved. Have you ever ran BB or starboard? I find the concept to be more favorable to a high flow sps system but it's hard for me to change my ways when it comes to sand

Nano sapiens

Ya that's one of my concerns- with the large volume of rock I have it's difficult to clean close to most rocks. I did move things around a few months ago after I completely rescaped but there are 3 larger rocks that I have never moved. Have you ever ran BB or starboard? I find the concept to be more favorable to a high flow sps system but it's hard for me to change my ways when it comes to sand

I'm familiar with the different concepts people have come up with, but I have always used substrate and always will. I don't see substrate as an 'evil', but as a very important organism in the tank that needs to be cared for. Besides the biological aspect, the look of a nice sand bed is a part of what makes a reef tank...a reef tank, for me. :)

If you can vacuum under some of the smaller rocks ever month or two, that will go a long way to helping. How long the tank can go without cleaning under the larger pieces is unknown since each tank is different.

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

I like your take on the sand and just knowing that you have to take steps and measures to keep it effective ?. Sorry for all the questions tonight - one more for the night though- what about black sand? Have you ever kept a tank with any? The look can be beautiful but I have also heard it is difficult to keep the black looking good from some people and other have no issue at all- guess it boils down to husbandry - as it does with most items in our tanks. Just trying to plan out my new 50g- I am all over the place when it comes to ideas right now

Nano sapiens

I like your take on the sand and just knowing that you have to take steps and measures to keep it effective . Sorry for all the questions tonight - one more for the night though- what about black sand? Have you ever kept a tank with any? The look can be beautiful but I have also heard it is difficult to keep the black looking good from some people and other have no issue at all- guess it boils down to husbandry - as it does with most items in our tanks. Just trying to plan out my new 50g- I am all over the place when it comes to ideas right now

No worries, it's all good to ask questions.

I had a 55g before the nano which was up for nearly 10 years. Simple SSB with a sump, but nothing in it except a heater and pump...yes, there's a theme going on here :) Had it crash around the two year mark (full of exquisite Euphyllias and Bubble corals...still bummed when I think about it) while I was on vacation due, I believe, to a large sea cucumber passing away. Got complacent and nearly lost it at around the five year mark due to neglect, but got it back with aggressive detrius/cyano mat removal and lots of WCs. Got to deal with extensive mats of every cyano color imaginable, which was interesting from a scientific point of view, but lesson learned the hard way that a tank loaded with too many nutrients is a disaster in the making.

I don't have experience with black sand, but I have read about certain sands 'rusting' (oxidation). Presumably, this is from a high iron content. If you go that route, find someone who has been successful with this type of sand long term and then find out the sand source.

Looking good!

Thank you!

lqKlotB.png

Thanks, too!

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

I love how informational this thread. It's got a KISS theme but without looking drab or cheap :)

Nice that you found it interesting :)

The idea was not 'cheap for cheap's sake', but rather avoidance of unnecessary equipment, complexity and energy usage. The minimal amount of equipment that I have in this tank is some of the best quality (Tunze pump, Rena heater, etc.). Some of my testing equipment is archaic, but as long as it's reliable and simple I'll keep on using it :)

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Subtle Updates:

1. Split my two DIY strips into 'White' and 'Blue' channels (running 50/50%). Although I won't be able to adjust intensity front-to-back, I can now more easily alter the hue (had to change out emitters before to get a particular color rendition). White channel has OCW, NW, B, C...Blue channel has RB, HV. I anticipate settling on maybe 40% white, 60% blue. Since I'm using a few LEDGroupBuy Bridglux NWs, reducing the white channel will also help reduce the amount of heat buildup.

2. Slowly built up NO3 to 1 ppm by feeding more/cleaning a bit less. Plan to hit the 2 ppm mark and keep it there for a few months. Corals look great with the slightly elevated NO3 and daily broadcast and target feeding. So far, no additional nuisance algae.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Beautiful setup!

I really liked looking through all the pictures and seeing everything progress. Keep up the good work!

Thank you and glad you enjoyed the near seven year thread journey :)

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic