Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Awesome shot nano....Im glad you were able to contain the outbreak and the rest of your system is healthy

Thanks, Rehype. I was surprised that the macro came out as well as it did (it was shot through a 1" diameter 4X eyeloop and required minimal processing)

Yeah, the tank itself and the corals (other than Yuma) had no issues. It's hard to say if these Yuma infections are species specific or whether the Yuma are just super sensitive and succumb to a common pathogen (assuming it is a pathogen that causes the intial condition).

Being relatively new, you haven't haven't seen this litle fella yet :)

Typcially, it becomes my Avatar

yes, this is my first christmas here. and what

a fun tradition! how big is your dendro? so cute!

OMG :lol::wub:

merry christmas santa dendro and NANOS!!

Being relatively new, you haven't haven't seen this litle fella yet. Typically, it becomes my Avatar :)

yes, this is my first christmas here. and what

a fun tradition! how big is your dendro? so cute!

It's not actually mine, at all :) I saw this photo from a fellow reefer a few years ago and asked If I could 'enhance' it a bit...and that's the story :)

• Like 3

haha!! i love it! imagine the things you

could do with my dendro. he is a show off! :lol:

Yes, he most certainly is! Kind of looks like a party sombrero, perhaps hiding a Speedy Gonzalez underneath :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

FTS - Jan 01, 2015:

a3796636-70ac-4f23-83a0-7d91a1b2753a_zps

12g RP Acro Top Down_010115.jpg

Very difficult to photograph due to my large canopy (please excuse the fuzziness), my difficult to please Red Planet Acro that started off as a 3/8" frag and now is 4" across. After lots of experimentation I found the 'magic sauce' to get this RP variant to grow and color up: uber stable alk (any fast alk swings over 0.5 dKh and it gets pissy for weeks). One of my New Years resolution is to attempt to keep alk swings to no more than 0.2 dKh and check/adjust salinity 3x/wk. I'm also very slowly increasing light intensity and duration to try and encourage a bit more pink/red pigmentation.

And just for kicks, a top down shot with just the camera flash (no way to use my canopy lighting for this). Crowded much? :)

12g Top Down Flash_010115.jpg

• Like 13

Thank you...and Happy New Year!

and to you! did all your rics come on plugs?

mine are so unslightly. ASD said they could trim

them for me though. i might do that for the ones

that that'll work for.

Nano sapiens

and to you! did all your rics come on plugs?

mine are so unslightly. ASD said they could trim

them for me though. i might do that for the ones

that that'll work for.

Since most came directly from Florida they were attached to 1" or less live rock rubble. One or two came on plugs from a LFS. One thing I do with plugs is get a strong cutter and plier and chip/grind/mutilate them down to the size of the Ric foot (more or less), then glue that onto the live rock without the plug's 'stem'. A few months and you can't even see the plug remnant as it'll get covered by coralline :)

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

That looks outstanding nano....so clean. What settings are you running with the LED's?

Thanks. This last FTS is actually a day before my weekly tank cleaning (note the tiny juvenile white Collonista snails muching on the back wall algae).

I'm currently running 50% with the DIY strip up front and 75% for the DIY strip in the rear. Since I like to do things simply/differently, I don't have dimmable white and blue/violet channels since each dimmable DIY strip has the appropriate type and number of emitters. Makes for ~250 PAR directly in the middle of the tank. Not sure how much higher I can go before I start frying the Acans, though :o. DLI (Daily Light Integer) is nearly 8 which seems to be just about right for a mid depth reef.

Thanks. This last FTS is actually a day before my weekly tank cleaning (note the tiny juvenile white Collonista snails muching on the back wall algae).

I'm currently running 50% with the DIY strip up front and 75% for the DIY strip in the rear. Since I like to do things differently, I don't have dimmable white and blue/violet channels since each dimmable DIY strip has the appropriate type and number of emitters. Makes for ~250 PAR directly in the middle of the tank. Not sure how much higher I can go before I start frying the Acans, though :o. DLI (Daily Light Integer) is nearly 8 which seems to be just about right for a mid depth reef.

Everything looks really happy with your current settings. I wouldnt go much higher for fear of upsetting the rics/yumas. The acans can take alot more lot IME.

Nano sapiens

Everything looks really happy with your current settings. I wouldnt go much higher for fear of upsetting the rics/yumas. The acans can take alot more lot IME.

Yeah, I hear you on that. It's so easy to get over zealous and push a parameter just a little too far...and/or too fast :eek:

I'm planning to stabilize all parameters as much as is possible in such a small system and let things progress for a few months. Any intensity increases will be really slow, though.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

The coral warfare you have going is pretty neat.

It's been quite an education observing the various strategies that corals use to survive on a reef...and some real surprises.

For example, I have a Reefkoi 'Superhero' Montipora that gets routinely clobbered by a Pavona maldivensis, but can somehow suppress Pavona varians from sending out it's potent sweepers and can even cause this Pavona damage. The same Pavona varians clobbers a Sunset Montipora, though. Strange...

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Love your tank. Your rics are awesome, any tips for a newb like me?

Thanks. Rics and other 'Shrooms tend to do well in systems that are minimally filtered (or not all, as in my case). Ricordia florida can handle a good amount of light, but need to be slowly aclimated to it. Some Ricordia yuma can too, but they tend to be much more fussy and many just do better in lower light. Feeding 1 - 2x per week will help all Rics grow/divide and may be essential for survival in very low nutrient systems.

I'd suggest sticking with R. florida first until you have found out what makes them happy long term. If you try a R. yuma, definitely get one that is from 'captive' stock since wild ones are renowed for 'melting' issues.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Haha that dendro is the best! Where is it in the tank? I don't see it in the FTS.

The FTS looks amazing btw!

The Dendro is not mine. I bummed it off of a fellow reefer years ago to make a 'Santa Dendro' :)

Thanks.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Nice update - loving how each coral on the pillar portion changes over the years as they grow, especially the minty green one on the right side. Kinda looks like it has paddles. What is it?

Nano sapiens

Nice update - loving how each coral on the pillar portion changes over the years as they grow, especially the minty green one on the right side. Kinda looks like it has paddles. What is it?

One of the advantages to having a tank run for a long time :)

The mint green coral is either Pavona varians ('Corrugated Coral') or possibly Pavona decussata ('Lettuce Leaf Coral', 'Potato-chip Coral', 'Cactus Coral'...take your pick). The more I look at it in larger colony size the more I'm leaning towards P. decussata:

Pavonavarians_010215_zpsa23e240a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic