Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

I'll be interested to see how your planned changes work with the kalk needs. Dosing is inevitable at some point for me, but I'm trying to stave off figuring all that out for as long as possible. No SPS for me :D

How do you feed the rics that don't get target fed like the one yuma?

wow those Yuma are huge and it's so cool your clowns are hosting in them, do you target feed them? doing a rics/yuma garden in my tank

No target feeding for any of the Rics (other than the Pink one once a week) and even that isn't really necessary. In a well extablished unfiltered tank with a decent fish load there is enough nutrition in the water, even with only light fish feeding.

• Like 2

I'll be interested to see how your planned changes work with the kalk needs. Dosing is inevitable at some point for me, but I'm trying to stave off figuring all that out for as long as possible. No SPS for me :D

How do you feed the rics that don't get target fed like the one yuma?

Kalk useage went up again when I swapped out a neutral white LED for warm white. I was really surprised that it even made much of a difference, but sometimes subtle changes can have a bigger than expected outcome. I suspect the extra red is being used since it can be used for photosynthesis. I've now had to lower my main lighting duration by an hour just to slow things down.

Making Kalkwasser is a breeze, really. When you dose, think about the easisest, most foolproof way to do it.

Unfiltered tank, medium fish load, nutrients in the water are absorbed by the corals. 'Shrooms with their large surface area are real good at absorption and collection of small particles.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning to this:

Scolly Attack2 091314.jpg

Scolly Attack1 091314.jpg

'When Scollys Attack' seemed appropriate :) I've had the Scolly and the 'Shrooms in this configuration for over a month without issue, then one day 'BAM!!!'

The 'Shrooms are now recovering in a back corner and since they are quite tough, I expect them to recover.

• Like 12

Yeah, these Scolly's and Lobos are something else, and this Scolly beats the tar out of Lobos. It's kind of like having a pitbull in with a bunch of poodles :)

I've seen it spread it's filiments 5" away up the live rock when nothing was even there to kill...(these attacks are triggered by sensory ques in the water, so sometimes they don't quite get it right).

• Like 3

The after effects (8 hrs' later):

Yuma Victim2 091314.jpg

Interesting that at least a third of the orange Yuma still has color and all after all that. The purple Florida is tucked in the back underneath and is in worse shape. I'll be interesting to see if they can both make a comeback and how long it'll take to get back to normal.

• Like 4

Looks so sweet, packs a wallop! I wonder if the Yuma will do a color switcheroo like mine did.

Maybe?

Honestly, I'll just be happy if both the Yuma and Florida pull through.

That scoly is not messing around!

No, it's not. It's not the first time, either. I've got a tough call to make on this one...

• Like 1

Updates:

Sad day, but the Scolly (or Lobo?) has been moved on and hopefully will find a new home in a much larger tank. Just too much risk for the other inhabitants in such a small tank. Of the two 'Shrooms that were attacked, only 10% is left of the Purple Ric, but 80% of the Orange Yuma is still in one piece.

Tried out some 'Reef Roids' today and I am mighty impressed with the feeding response from the Acros and Zoas. I've never see my Red Planet Acro's polyps react so quickly and a few types of Zoas that have never reacted to food actually responded. Feeding a very small amount once a week.

• Like 5

Updates:

Sad day, but the Scolly (or Lobo?) has been moved on and hopefully will find a new home in a much larger tank. Just too much risk for the other inhabitants in such a small tank. Of the two 'Shrooms that were attacked, only 10% is left of the Purple Ric, but 80% of the Orange Yuma is still in one piece.

Tried out some 'Reef Roids' today and I am mighty impressed with the feeding response from the Acros and Zoas. I've never see my Red Planet Acro's polyps react so quickly and a few types of Zoas that have never reacted to food actually responded. Feeding a very small amount once a week.

nobody messes with the ric garden!

• Like 1

nobody messes with the ric garden!

Very true! :)

Dang I haven't seen a scoly do that from such a distance! Good call on finding it a new home.

This coral had a crazy long reach. I saw it once with it's filaments 4" up the side of a live rock that had a 60 degree incline. I still don't know how that works...

The quest to color up the Red Planet Acro saga continues:

The warm white emitter I added last week is working out quite well, so I added one more to the strip which replaced a neutral white. The coloration and growth f the RP has improved quite a bit with just this simple emitter swap (no other changes to the tank). The main difference between the NM and WW emitters is the higher red spike in the WW, so something in the WW appears to be beneficial in producing pigments in this particular coral. It's tempting to say it's the additional red wavelength intensity, but that might be jumping to an incorrect conclusion since there are other spectral differences between the two types of white emitters.

In this hobby, I find it facinating that subtle changes can often have such a noticable effect.

I love your tank, I feel that it is my favorite ever. I like the way you handle it, even at its worst it. Keep us posted on other photos.

Thanks. It's all just par for the course. The simpler the system the easier it is to deal with the hickups :)

Great picture of the "warfare" that was crazy looking. How far of a distance were they from each other? How long have they been in that same area- intense !

The filaments were stretching close to 4", but I suspect that the 'Shrooms had initially expanded to where they were maybe 1-1/2 -2" away. They were both in that position for over a month without issue then 'wham!'

• Like 1
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic