Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

6 years. wow. Milestones are to be celebrated, any little gifts planned for the tank?

Funny you should ask...

I made a rare local LFS hunting trip last week and came back with some interesting (to me, at least) corals that are chilling out on the right side of the tank. I'll give them a week or so to start looking better before I snap a few pics.

Hardware wise, it's all good at this point.

• Like 1

Such a beautifull tank, or awe inspiring might be a better description.

I took a few days to read through the entire thread and it was very informative for a beginner like myself, even tho my plans are far less ambitious I was able to take away a lot of good info and tips, so thank you :)

I also noticed I'm not alone in the use of the age old 'photo through the magnifying glass' trick :P

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Thank you and glad that you found the tank thread helpful. As you likely gathered, the system relies on simple principles applied appropriately along with a good dose of patience :)

Nano sapiens

Many of the corals have been in the tank for 5 years or more. All the Montis are old timers grown from tiny frags, but the Acros are newer. The Acans I've had 4 years or so. Most of the Rics are from a Coralmorphologic 10-pack which I purchased 4-5 years ago.

Some of the Rics plus a Purple Discosoma have been with me for over 15 years.

The ones that didn't make it from the beginnning are the original Palys/Zoas due to Amphipod predation, mostly. I lost a few original Acans/Blastos to a Brown Jelly infection.

• Like 1

Six Years...

This is a testament to good husbandry skills and knowledge of reefing. Glad to see it is going strong and looking wonderful :)

• Like 3

Some of the Rics plus a Purple Discosoma have been with me for over 15 years.

Wow - extremely impressive. What is the "lifespan" on a Ricordia!? At some point, do our corals just die of old age? This seems like a ridiculous questions but I have never honestly read anything about it or heard anyone talk about it since I have been in the hobby.

Nano sapiens

Six Years...

This is a testament to good husbandry skills and knowledge of reefing. Glad to see it is going strong and looking wonderful :)

Also have to add a dash of 'luck' to the recipe. Thanks.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Wow - extremely impressive. What is the "lifespan" on a Ricordia!? At some point, do our corals just die of old age? This seems like a ridiculous questions but I have never honestly read anything about it or heard anyone talk about it since I have been in the hobby.

You are not alone. I am unaware of any studies done to determine the lifespan of Ricordia, but I have seen a report of a cold water anemone surviving well over 100 years in a glass bowl (anemones were kept this way back in England during the late 1800's). Some very large brain corals are thought to be over 900 years old.

Primitive organisms, such as corals and anemones, have the biological potential to live for a very long time. Mortality comes mostly from the environment (storms, predation, climate change, man-made destruction, etc.).

In an aquarium free of major disturbances, I'd expect 'Shrooms (or their clones) to easily outlive the aquarist.

• Like 4

That's wild NS. Very cool and something I had never spent much time thinking about. When I think about the oldest living things, I'm thinking tortoises or trees - not corals. Yet another reason I love the ocean.

Tank has been running for 6 years now (started beginning of July, 2008): No changes, same old 'unfiltered' setup, two fish, a gaggle of coral...and a wing and a prayer :)

12g6Years_062914_zps4b26bf13.jpg

Still has a bit of growing in to do around the sides and back where I recently added some Rhodactis (yup, more 'shrooms!) and a few different Palys/Zoas. When I set this up I remember telling myself, "5 years aught to do it" and now I'm thinking "Ok, 10 years and it *should* finally be 'mature'". Funny how that works...

6 years and so, so, clean!!!!! It's amazing :). Congrats on the success!!!!
Nano sapiens

That's wild NS. Very cool and something I had never spent much time thinking about. When I think about the oldest living things, I'm thinking tortoises or trees - not corals. Yet another reason I love the ocean.

Since we are terrestrial, we tend to think in terms of what's on land. It is very possible (and quite likely IMO) that the oldest living organisms on earth will be discovered somewhere in the ocean depths

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

6 years and so, so, clean!!!!! It's amazing :). Congrats on the success!!!!

Thanks, Gena. Something about a nano just brings out the 'clean freak' in me, but truth be told it isn't always quite so spick'n'span.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Amusing. Last night I decided to post a pic of the tank on a German website (German is my second language) just to see what they would make of it. Per many of the replies, the tank could not be considered 'good' because it has two Clownfish in it that need a much larger tank and a few human centered examples and extrapolations were included. I'm not sure if the anthropomorphizing is unique to the particular site, or widespread in Germany. I guess we have the 'Tang Police'...and they have the 'Clownfish Police' :)

Anyway, this morning I found that I am 'unregistered' so I can't comment on my own thread. Not sure what that is all about, but enjoy the relative freedom of Nano-reef.com.

• Like 2

Amusing. Last night I decided to post a pic of the tank on a German website (German is my second language) just to see what they would make of it. Per many of the replies, the tank could not be considered 'good' because it has two Clownfish in it that need a much larger tank and a few human centered examples and extrapolations were included. I'm not sure if the anthropomorphizing is unique to the particular site, or widespread in Germany. I guess we have the 'Tang Police'...and they have the 'Clownfish Police' :)

Anyway, this morning I found that I am 'unregistered' so I can't comment on my own thread. Not sure what that is all about, but enjoy the relative freedom of Nano-reef.com.

That's crazy! Maybe they didn't realize it's a 12g tank. It does look smaller for some reason. Probably because you have giant healthy corals in there :).
Nano sapiens

That's crazy! Maybe they didn't realize it's a 12g tank. It does look smaller for some reason. Probably because you have giant healthy corals in there :).

Yeah, it was 'interesting'. The title I used said '45 liters', so they do know the size :)

I'll keep it on a polite level and just say that it's not totally unexpected :)

• Like 2

Tank has been running for 6 years now (started beginning of July, 2008): No changes, same old 'unfiltered' setup, two fish, a gaggle of coral...and a wing and a prayer :)

12g6Years_062914_zps4b26bf13.jpg

Still has a bit of growing in to do around the sides and back where I recently added some Rhodactis (yup, more 'shrooms!) and a few different Palys/Zoas. When I set this up I remember telling myself, "5 years aught to do it" and now I'm thinking "Ok, 10 years and it *should* finally be 'mature'". Funny how that works...

Congrats man......thats quite the accomplishment especially in the nano community. Very few reefers meet that milestone period! One of my all time favorites

Nano sapiens

Update: Right side view with a few new additions. I'm on a Rhodactis 'Shroom kick :). The 'Purple Tonga' (aka 'Tonga Blue') are one of the the first Rhodactis cf. inchoata brought into the hobby, but this one I always seemed to miss out on. Now I have two and, no surprise, they blend in completely with my purple coralline algae :rolleyes:. They are also the only coral I have that has absolutely no florescence whatsoever under Royal Blues (I will call them my 'Stealth 'Shrooms' from now on). The 'green with orange fringe' R. inchoata is a bit unusual and the red one has some really bright yellow fringe tentacles. I find that the Rhodactis take a good bit longer to adjust to new lighting and flow than Rics do, so it'll be a while until they feel at home and open up more. I also got 'Sunny D's and a few polyps of 'Sparkling Cider' Zoas/Palys.

12gRightSideView_070414_zpsd2759a6a.jpg~

In other news, the small round polyps (below) that looked a lot like small Fungia babies actually turned out to be Pavona varians. The polyps grew into each other and then assumed the non-differentiated look. At least now I know that this amorphous looking P. varians coral actually starts early development as round polyps.

12gFungia_041314_zpsc369c9ba.jpg~origina

• Like 5
Nano sapiens

Thank you, Gena, I did see this today in Morgan's advertising thread. It certainly is unique and the bid price is very reasonable (right now), but I'm literally out of space :(

• Like 1

Thank you, Gena, I did see this today in Morgan's advertising thread. It certainly is unique and the bid price is very reasonable (right now), but I'm literally out of space.

Bummer! I ordered one :).
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic