SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

There is one other option I had considered a while back. Basically, one single complete full spectrum array that is mechanically moved from left to right in an arced canopy over the course of the day. Of course, spectrum and intensity would change as the day progresses. This would be a potenitally a less expensive way to go and I envision that it could be done either with a slow speed motor with a mechanism that would wind (and then rewind at night to return to a starting point) and the array on guided rails. Or, the array would have it's own slow-speed motor and a drive gear that would allow it to proceed slowly on matching toothed rails and then retrun back to a starting position at night.

jedimasterben

Wireless isn't really necessary, IMO (nice have, though). If I do this I'd first create an arced canopy to better approximate the natural light angles of penetration. The Stunners would likely have to go, though, unless I can figure out if it's possible to bend them to match the canopy arc.

This would be one crazy-a$$ build omgomgomg

Nah, not crazy :)

There is one other option I had considered a while back. Basically, one single complete full spectrum array that is mechanically moved from left to right in an arced canopy over the course of the day. Of course, spectrum and intensity would change as the day progresses. This would be a potenitally a less expensive way to go and I envision that it could be done either with a slow speed motor with a mechanism that would wind (and then rewind at night to return to a starting point) and the array on guided rails. Or, the array would have it's own slow-speed motor and a drive gear that would allow it to proceed slowly on matching toothed rails and then retrun back to a starting position at night.

Another thing I've considered lol

Great minds think alike! :D

Nano sapiens

One thing that is often not considered is the fishes environment once the lights go off at night. In large tanks it's not much of a concern since the fish have lots of nooks and crannies to hide in and are more distanced from movement and other disturbances outside of the quarium. But in a nano or pico tank, any movement, noise, etc. is much more 'in their face'. I noticed this when I had a few bottom dwelling fish carpet surf due to being startled and stressed. Thereafter, I created an acrylic lip for the front span of the tank and I would occasionally hear a fish whack itself (in the head, presumably) when it hit this barrier, which at least kept it in the tank.

My solution to the problem was impromtu, but has worked well for the last 1-1/2 years...file folders and a paper clip!:

12g Night Covers_010715.jpg

Every night that I am home, the hanging folders are put in place once all the tank lights are out. After employing these file folders, I noticed right away that my clownfish were more calm during the day and I have yet to hear a 'thump' or any other noise from the fish trying to jump out.

NS's tip for the day: "If your fish are jumpy and skittish, try giving them a true restful night" :)

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

:slap: What kind of a question is that and don't come back with you can get 60 yumas for a penny. :angry:

A single Yuma.

wat.gif

It's your money, but there is no way that it is 'worth' that much for just one of them.

LOL...you guys :)

What is a pink Yuma worth? Good question and I guess it depends on how much you really like the form and color. I'd pay more for one that is cultured since it has a better chance of doing well.

Having said that, I've got Yumas scattered over the sand bed now due to them loosing their footing and falling off the rocks. We'll see how many survive this bizarrre condition, but I don't plan on any more Yumas in the future for this tank.

Floridas...doing better than ever

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking. Tank and nearly all the inhabitants are doing good.

A couple of Yumas are floating around the sand bed since they lost their foot hold due to an unidentified affliction, but a few others are still attached well. Time will tell if the 'droppers' reattach to something...or not.

I've always found Pavonas cool as ithey have a very 'organ'o'morphic' way of growing. This specimen encrusts, plates, sends up vertical 'potato chips' and it has a nice minty-flourescent coloration, too.

Had to stop feeding the corals with Reef-Roids as it is a bit too nutrient dense for my system (increased nitrates and noticeable excess algae growth).

Experimenting with bringing parameters closer to NSW, better alkalinity stability and mixing in Red Sea blue bucket salt with my RC/IO mix. It's early, but so far noticeable improvement with stony coral coloration, especially.

I saw that you tank thread has been busy. Looks like all is going well :)

• Like 1

Thanks for asking. Tank and nearly all the inhabitants are doing good.

A couple of Yumas are floating around the sand bed since they lost their foot hold due to an unidentified affliction, but a few others are still attached well. Time will tell if the 'droppers' reattach to something...or not.

I've always found Pavonas cool as ithey have a very 'organ'o'morphic' way of growing. This specimen encrusts, plates, sends up vertical 'potato chips' and it has a nice minty-flourescent coloration, too.

Had to stop feeding the corals with Reef-Roids as it is a bit too nutrient dense for my system (increased nitrates and noticeable excess algae growth).

Experimenting with bringing parameters closer to NSW, better alkalinity stability and mixing in Red Sea blue bucket salt with my RC/IO mix. It's early, but so far noticeable improvement with stony coral coloration, especially.

I saw that you tank thread has been busy. Looks like all is going well :)

Wow- that's great you saw an improvment with mixing different salts ?. A hybrid salt! ya things are going well- had to do a little fragging and the frags aren't very colorful where they are placed- less light so I might have relocate them.

Shoot up another pic of the Pavona when ya can!

One thing that is often not considered is the fishes environment once the lights go off at night. In large tanks it's not much of a concern since the fish have lots of nooks and crannies to hide in and are more distanced from movement and other disturbances outside of the quarium. But in a nano or pico tank, any movement, noise, etc. is much more 'in their face'. I noticed this when I had a few bottom dwelling fish carpet surf due to being startled and stressed. Thereafter, I created an acrylic lip for the front span of the tank and I would occasionally hear a fish whack itself (in the head, presumably) when it hit this barrier, which at least kept it in the tank.

My solution to the problem was impromtu, but has worked well for the last 1-1/2 years...file folders and a paper clip!:

12gNightCovers_010715_zpsa93aa416.jpg

Every night that I am home, the hanging folders are put in place once all the tank lights are out. After employing these file folders, I noticed right away that my clownfish were more calm during the day and I have yet to hear a 'thump' or any other noise from the fish trying to jump out.

NS's tip for the day: "If your fish are jumpy and skittish, try giving them a true restful night" :)

Great tip! I had to do this for my betta when his tank used to be on my desk at work. With the emergency lights that stay on in the office at night, he was a skittish mess. I also used file folders as a screen :)

Wow- that's great you saw an improvment with mixing different salts . A hybrid salt! ya things are going well- had to do a little fragging and the frags aren't very colorful where they are placed- less light so I might have relocate them.

Shoot up another pic of the Pavona when ya can!

Everything is going 'Hybrid' these days :)

My RC/IO mix is not bad, but Triton testing showed some elevated and deficient elements in the tank. After looking at multiple salts on the maket, mixing 50/50 using the RS Blue Bucket should help to provide closer to NSW element parameters. It also helps reduce Alk swings that occur when I do my WCs with only the RC/IO blend since they both have quite high Alk.

• Like 2

Great tip! I had to do this for my betta when his tank used to be on my desk at work. With the emergency lights that stay on in the office at night, he was a skittish mess. I also used file folders as a screen :)

As they say, "Great minds think alike" :)

I believe that a lot of fish related issues (including deaths) could be prevented if covering the tank at night were more common place.

• Like 1

Took a pic of my 5 year old Pavona maldivensis to assist a fellow reefer identify their new frag, so I'll post it here, too:

Pavona maldivensis_020415.jpg

It might be common, but there aren't many corals that have such a unique metallic copper coloration (the camera doesn't do it justice) plus a pleasant growth form.

• Like 6

Took a pic of my 5 year old Pavona maldivensis to assist a fellow reefer identify their new frag, so I'll post it here, too:

Pavona%20maldivensis_020415_zpstmv6tls9.

It might be common, but there aren't many corals that have such a unique metallic copper coloration (the camera doesn't do it justice) plus a pleasant growth form.

The fact that you've kept it for 5 yrs. is impressive to me- great job and beautiful piece?
  • Like 1

Looking back in this thread, I found this entry on the 13th of May, 2009:

Well, here's what I started with LPS & SPS wise about two months ago:

1. Mini 3/4" frag of Pink Stylophora
2. Mini 3/8" polyp of an orange Acan Lord
3. Dime sized Pink Chalice
4. Neon-green Acropora millepora
5. Mini 1/2" frag of Gold Pavona
6. Red Goniopora colony (30+ polyps)

So, that actually makes this piece 6 years old, not 5 years :)

I stopped feeding it directly about 3 years ago since it was tearing up all my Montis. However, it still manages to grow and conquer, but at least it's now at a snail's pace..

Here's the first pic when it was a wee little nubb'in:

Gold Pavona 092809.jpg

• Like 5

Even better-6 yrs. congrats! What's the orange piece around it in the 1st pic?

That's good 'ol Montipora setosa. This one is the original 'LE Tyree Setosa' which went for big bucks back in the day. This is my favorite Monti so far. Even though it's a total cream-puff, it has an amazing knack for morphing and slow-motion get-aways from aggressors. It can also take lower light, no problem, as well as high light so it's very adaptable.

• Like 2

That's good 'ol Montipora setosa. This one is the original 'LE Tyree Setosa' which went for big bucks back in the day. This is my favorite Monti so far. Even though it's a total cream-puff, it has an amazing knack for morphing and slow-motion get-aways from aggressors

Has it fought with the Pavona? If so , who won?

Has it fought with the Pavona? If so , who won?

No contest, Pavona wins hands down. Pavona as a group are quite aggressive and can damage many other stony corals. They can't hold up to 'Shrooms, though.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The Rhodactis/Calgreni wall is filling out. I forgot how big some of these Rhodactis can get :)

Rhodactis Wall 021615.jpg

And an interesting study in color changing (maroon to steel blue) in a D. calgreni 'shroom:

Almost a year ago:

Discosoma calgreni_031514.JPG

...and today with it's little greenie baby slowly getting bigger. Main change was adding more 'Hyper Violet' to the LED array:

D calgreni 021615.jpg

Just goes to show that Rhodactis, just like any group, have their 'anomalies'. I had high hopes for this really nice red Rhodactis:

RedOddballRhodactis_080814_zps72e87ab0.j

...but it just couldn't get happy anywhere on this rock. So after shrinking to the size of a dime and detaching it's now been tucked away in a hole with low light and flow and it seems to be doing okay. Many of these red flourescent corals come from either deep water or heavily shaded areas in shallow water and that's what I think I've got here. Time will tell...

• Like 5
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic