inTank Media Baskets

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Thanks. I must say it was quite the adventure since I'm much more used to mechanical stuff vs. electrical.

There won't be all that much difference from the pic I took since I am only going to be adding 30-40 total PAR (shooting for around 200 PAR mid-depth). Any more intensity and the Rics will be running for cover in this shallow tank. What I am after here, more than anything else, is recovering lost/changed coloration and I'll be posting 'before and after' pics of various corals.

Nano sapiens

A couple days with the DIY 'full spectrum' lighting and, even with the lower intensity settings, things are looking promising. Since I started the lighting at around 10% lower PAR than what I had originally (and have been very slowly ramping up each day) all the corals appear totally unaffected. The reason I like to start off with a bit lower PAR is that it is very easy to underestimate new LEDs. The typical PAR meter is not very sensitive to the lower light wavelengths (such as Hyper Violets) and the PUR value is higher with full spectrum lighting.

I can already see some coloration improvement in the Rics, LPS and SPS. The Red Planet mini-frag, in particular, is responding the fastest changing from a 'blah' light green to a bright florescent metallic green :)

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Red planets. Notoriously high maintenance.

Yup, they sure are. I've been messing around with this SPS for going on a year and it was obvious that it just wasn't all that thrilled with the lighting from my all Stunner setup. On the plus side, one of the frags did grow 4-5x it's original size and has developed two white 'buds' from the edges which are likely to develop into branches. Should do even better now with the new lighting.

Pics will be 'proof positive', so let's see how this all goes in the next few weeks.

Nano sapiens

Today the DIY light strip has been pumped up to 25% intensity, which is roughly equivalent to my previous max setting (~165 PAR mid depth). No adverse coral reactions (as expected). The plan is to slowly bump this up within the next 2-3 weeks to ~200 PAR mid depth and see what happens.

Yup, they sure are. I've been messing around with this SPS for going on a year and it was obvious that it just wasn't all that thrilled with the lighting from my all Stunner setup. On the plus side, one of the frags did grow 4-5x it's original size and has developed two white 'buds' from the edges which are likely to develop into branches. Should do even better now with the new lighting.

Pics will be 'proof positive', so let's see how this all goes in the next few weeks.

I moved my red planet higher when I got my T5s and it looks rather pretty now. Has not grown too much but I like the polyps and the color change. Previously it was one or the other.

Nano sapiens

I moved my red planet higher when I got my T5s and it looks rather pretty now. Has not grown too much but I like the polyps and the color change. Previously it was one or the other.

Good to hear the move worked out for the RP. The fuller spectrum from the T5s is undoubtedly making a big difference, too.

I'm amazing at just how finicky these things are. Of the two min-frags I made, the one has grown a lot under only 75 PAR, looks quite healthy and is starting to bud branches. The other is just 6" away in higher flow plus nearly double the light intensity and it has just sulked for months with little growth.

On a side note, the Blastos and Acans are now starting the shift towards red. Even my wife mentioned it out of the blue and she usually doesn't have much to say about the corals. The Setosa is getting a wonderful deep, rich orange-red that I've never seen before in this coral. I could go on and on about the color transitions and enhancement I'm starting to see...so interesting to watch unfold :)

I had to create an aluminum 'shield' in the front of the canopy to block the direct view to the new LEDs. They are blindly bright if looked at accidentally straight on!

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Updates: DIY LED strip is currently at 35% which is giving 175 PAR (15% correction factor for blue/violet) mid-depth/center of the tank.

The tank is starting to look a lot brighter...more like what I would see at say 10-15 ft down on a pristine reef. Overall, I'd describe the coloration as '12k'.

All the corals are looking very, very good at this point and growth (especially the SPS) has accelerated. Heat coming off the top of the hood is getting warmer to the touch as I slowly increase power, but not yet hot.

• Like 1

Been thinking about going DIY for a while now. I wonder if that one piece will turn back to red from orange now that you have a better color spectrum.

Nano sapiens

Been thinking about going DIY for a while now. I wonder if that one piece will turn back to red from orange now that you have a better color spectrum.

I wasn't so sure that the DIY LEDs would make much of a difference, but even just this small strip with these LEDs is really impressive.

So far, the Acans and Blastos I have in the corner on the SB have turned a deeper shade of orange. Since I only have a single NW (Neutral White) I doubt that they'll make it back to full red again in their current position. Other Acans up on the rocks and closer to the new LEDs are showing a deeper red. From what I have read, it's the yellow/orange in the NW that is particularly helpful in producing red coloration in these LPS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Just a quick lighting update. Currently at 50% of the DIY LED strip. PAR is at 190 mid-depth/center now. Par at an outer corner on the SB is 125.

I've been chasing cal/alk since the increased lighting is driving more calcification in the tank. The tank is using about 30% more Kalkwasser now as compared to pre-DIY LEDs.

And since a post is much more fun with pics:

BlastosFront_071813_zpsdf1513d0.jpg~orig

BlastosSide_071813_zpsd169fa28.jpg~origi

ReefKoiSupermanMonti_071813_zps56c95add.

The Blastos are doing great at 125 PAR so far and the polyps expand to about 2" across (see 1" hermit crab for size reference). The last pic is of a ReefKoi 'Superhero' Monti frag (small, bright red polyps) that had previous done, well...not much, actually, in this location. It's clear to see the white growth expansion area which has taken place in the last month or so. The orange M. setosa is just growing...everywhere, but the Superhero Monti will overpower it when they meet up here. After the green A. millepora finishes running over the M. undata (remnants of the M. undata can be seen extreme left) it will nuke the Setosa big time from the left and then the Leptastrea will sting 'em all back into submission. And so it goes...

• Like 6
Nano sapiens

Your new pictures are amazing!!!! The colors and the corals look vibrant and healthy, popping for sure.

Any chance I can steal your Hamster bottle ATO base plate?

Thank you. I'd hate to jinx myself, but things haven't looked better. The richness in coloration is what is really nice to see. However, I'm now faced with some hard decisions as to what to prune and how much, what to eliminate (ok, that's easier since the Blue-stripped Mushrooms have got to go). Most of the battles I'm just going to let happen while making sure that I don't loose a species/type in the process.

Sorry, the base plate is glued down. PM me with you Hamster bottle plans and I might be able to help you out :)

Nice little Ric garden

Thanks!

Those blastos are awesome!

Yes, they are 'Mahvelous' (Billy Crystal voice). Actually, I haven't met a Blasto that I didn't like. Something about the pillowy-puffyness just makes one so calm and sleepy ;)

I'm just wondering how big the individual polyps can get. I have read that some types of Blastomussa wellsi can get up to 4" across! The Superman Blasto I got from Buddythelion is the bigger of two, so it's living up to it's name that way (just needs a bit more red and blue).

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

I can't grow welsii, they wither away. I see a pico in my future with just puffy blastos.

That would be cool :)

I've had my trouble with them in the past. Most of the specimens I bought had some minor or major issues and those didn't make it. They seem to be prone to shipping damage as well as bacterial infections. These two I have were received in top shape, so I think getting good ones to start with is most important.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM. Your recent Blastomussa pic :wub: made me run out and buy one myself.

5 years is a testament to your dedication to this hobby, well done!

Christine

Nano sapiens

Thanks for the kind words, Christine :flower:

Speaking of Blastos, I've been having these visions of a second Blasto dominated tank (must resist...must resist...) :)

• Like 1
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic