RP after two weeks on the SB starting to color up (hurray!):

RPLargeFrag011813.jpg~original

RPLargeFragTopdown011813.jpg~original

1/4" RP frag before:

TinyRPFrag1010713.jpg~original

1/4" RP frag after 2 weeks and 7-8 'XMAS Tree' Acro polyps under 160 PAR:

RPTinyFragCyanoAcro011813.jpg~original

RPTinyTopdown.jpg~original

Can't believe how fast the little fella is encrusting...

• Like 2

Wow, your tank is truly an inspiration. The Ricordea garden is spectacular, I hope my tank looks one tenth as nice as this in three years. I'm going to have to copy you...

Thank you.

I'm sure your Ric garden will do great. Just feed 'em regularly and they should split every now and then. Doesn't take long before there's no more room.

• 4 weeks later...

'Acros are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get'

RP on the left 'lightening up' (likely needs higher nutrients), but growth is quite good...XMAS Tree Acro on the right coloring up with purple tipped/blue base polyps. This is an interesting color shift from the near total cyan it shows at lower light levels.

RPXMASTreeAcroFrags021113_zps5312db0a.jp

Added a couple spotlight blue LEDs from Hydor to brighten up the front a bit.

12gNanoSpotLights021613_zpsd2b6bc15.jpg~

...and the new King of the Tank, a Black Ocellarus 'Misbar' Clownfish. The fish is actually jet-black with a hint of deep orange on the snout. Reminds me of a mini-Orca:

BlackMisbarOcellarusClownfish021613_zps3

• Like 1

I'd love to, but it took 50 shots to get just this one semi-decent one! Trying to photograph a nearly black fish on a black background, without flash glare, was a real challenge.

The little Orca has a bit of swimming issue, most likely from gulping a bit too much air during the transfer. He spends almost all his time near the surface at a 30 degree downward angle, but at least he eats well. I'm hopeful that the excess gas will eventually dissipate and he'll regain a more normal swimming posture.

I've had a wild Ocellaris before, maybe 20 years back, and I remember it was a pushy, greedy glutton. This one, in contrast, has very refined table manners and takes food very gently. Totally cool little fish!

incarcerated flatus. There is homeopathic remedy for that.

You could take a side shot of the fish.

LOL...

This was a nearly side shot, but just enough angle to get a black background. Straight-on just wasn't working.

How'd the tank move go? There was so much other stuff going on in your tank thread I tend to get lost in there. :)

oh I haven't moved it yet. The handman has to install new kitchen lights also, in addition to my GFCI outlet for the tank. I got the wrong lights, so I have to get the right ones (hopefully today). When I move it, I will hopefully have a chance to document the move which will make for the thread having a moving party. :P

oh I haven't moved it yet. The handman has to install new kitchen lights also, in addition to my GFCI outlet for the tank. I got the wrong lights, so I have to get the right ones (hopefully today). When I move it, I will hopefully have a chance to document the move which will make for the thread having a moving party. :P

Well, hoping it all goes smoothly!

• Like 1

Nice clown man!

Thanks! Looks like it will likely stay small (1-1/2") which is perfect for the Nano. According to my LFS, it was originally housed for quite some time in a 100g tank, but it never got any larger (probably due to being a subordinate male).

'Mini-me Orca' :)

'Orca Mini-Me' Update:

He is slowly settling in and seems to be swimming a bit straighter. Still likes the back, top 1/3 of the tank, but feeds from my fingers, now. Feeding him heavily with 5 different foods and he's doing his best to feed the corals :)

Now I just need to train him to jump through a hoop... ;)

• Like 1

LOL...

If a Goldfish can do that, imagine what an Orca Clownfish can be taught to do! I can just see my wife shaking her head side-to-side as I try to train this fish :wacko:

I had African Cichlids back in the day that used to jump through a 'finger-hoop' (thumb and middle finger tips touching) for food.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Just saw a double monti 'nuking' and took a quick pic:

MilliUndataChemWarfare030813_zps4164085a

Looks like a Milli's range to detect downstream neighbors is around 1/4".

• Like 1
albertthiel

RP before:

RP after two weeks on the SB starting to color up (hurray!):

1/4" RP frag before:

1/4" RP frag after 2 weeks and 7-8 'XMAS Tree' Acro polyps under 160 PAR:

Can't believe how fast the little fella is encrusting...

Looking great ... keep feeding that good "oily stuff" you are using :-)

And on that Goldfish you commented on and the jumping through the fingers hoop one ... that is great in both cases.

Years ago when I had OOP, the Clown Trigger, on which I wrote daily blog entries on my ex-website (sold in 1996) he used to eat out of my palm and not even try to bite me, of course it took a while before that happened as in the beginning he did take a nip at my finger and those toosies do make a good "bite :-)

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert - Check back in a week or two as I might have some photos that are a bit 'special' :)

A bit "special" ... that sounds intriguing ... I'll have to check indeed :-)

Nano sapiens

Here's my latest attempt at a full tank shot with just the blue spectrum lights on. This shot was actually taken with a proper yellow filter lens designed to block 'blue' light and thereby enhance viewing of other color spectra, but it looks like my Royal Blues are putting out a fair amount of violet/near UV and my Hydor blue LED spotlights are putting out a little Cyan, too (frontal area):

12gFlorescence1_zps0676f956.jpg

• Like 2
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic