Pod Your Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Awesome pictures! What's the coral piece behind your Northern Lights Granulosa? The one that is super hairy, and has the yellow in it.

That's a knarly, hairy Golden Leptastrea. Very hardy coral that can take low as well as higher light. Grows well, too, especially if fed regularly.

The little purplish SPS to the right is a blue Montipora digitata (my camera sees it as purple).

Nice pics dude!

Thanks! Amazing what this little old 12 year old Cannon digital can still do.

Edited by Nano sapiens
What happened to the planet, I thought it was coloring up?

It went from pale orange to pale pink and then lost literally all florescent pigment. I added a 405nm Near UV strip for over two weeks and under that light it looked like it had gained some color back. This pic is from today, without the the 405nm strip (it bothered my eyes too much).

At this point I'm slowly lowering Alk from 10 to 9 to see if it helps. Other than that, there's not much else left except give it a few months of TLC and see what happens.

I see, well that is very interesting on the 405nm. I have been meaning to post but I moved the planet lower on the rock work, I also dimmed my LEDs as a montipora I bought was slowly bleaching. The planet seems to be getting some pink back, on cue like you said. I will post pictures for comparison when I take some.

Of course now that I have a clam that is weak and starving I had to turn up the lights again, but I don't want to loose the clam, the corals can color up later.

I see, well that is very interesting on the 405nm. I have been meaning to post but I moved the planet lower on the rock work, I also dimmed my LEDs as a montipora I bought was slowly bleaching. The planet seems to be getting some pink back, on cue like you said. I will post pictures for comparison when I take some.

I've cut my photoperiod from 10 to 8 hrs. At this level the Rics are cupping slightly, so that's as low as I want to go. I'm thinking of fraging a small branch of the RP and placing it down at the same PAR level as the Granulosa to see what happens.

Of course now that I have a clam that is weak and starving I had to turn up the lights again, but I don't want to loose the clam, the corals can color up later.

Absolutely! Clams can be rather difficult sometimes, but I wish you all the best luck with them.

Edited by Nano sapiens

Love that granulosa. I have one of unknown color. It was a bleached freebie when I got it and is now vaguely brownish. Hoping it will surprise me.

Seems like everywhere I look, someone is having trouble w/their Red Planet...

Love that granulosa. I have one of unknown color. It was a bleached freebie when I got it and is now vaguely brownish. Hoping it will surprise me.

Seems like everywhere I look, someone is having trouble w/their Red Planet...

When I received this Granulosa it didn't have any color other than creamy yellow, which was odd since the pic on Vivid's website and elsewhere showed many more colors. I suspect it was grown under higher lighting. This coral is found in various depths even down to 40 meters or more. This one is developing a beautiful florescent teal green at lower levels (~130 PAR under LEDs) and med-low flow. From what I've read, these deepwater types seem to really like lots of actinic. Hope yours colors up nicely!

Sigh, the infamous Red Planet. I enjoy a good challenge and this is certainly one. You are right that there are many, many posts online where folks are having issues with coloration. For this coral I think one needs to find the 'Goldilocks' zone where all physical and chemical parameters are just right. The hard part is trying to determine what is 'just right'.

Edited by Nano sapiens
When I received this Granulosa it didn't have any color other than creamy yellow, which was odd since the pic on Vivid's website and elsewhere showed many more colors. I suspect it was grown under higher lighting. This coral is found in various depths even down to 40 ft. This one is developing a beautiful florescent teal green at lower levels (~130 PAR under LEDs) and med-low flow. From what I've read, these deepwater types seem to really like lots of actinic. Hope yours colors up nicely!

Sigh, the infamous Red Planet. I enjoy a good challenge and this is certainly one. You are right that there are many, many posts online where folks are having issues with coloration. For this coral I think one needs to find the 'Goldilocks' zone where all physical and chemical parameters are just right. The hard part is trying to determine what is 'just right'.

Thanks! Unfortunately mine is on the side of my tank where it doesn't get much of the pure Royal Blue (445nm) dawn/dusk lighting, so I'm not really sure if it's fluorescing. I will check tonight.

I too like a challenge - to a point. Not enough to get a Red Planet. :lol:

Hypsophrys said:
I too like a challenge - to a point. Not enough to get a Red Planet. :lol:

LOL. Probably a smart move, although there are a few nice specimens out there.

For inspiration, I look to this one:

ORARedPlanet4.jpg~original

(photo from 'Aquatic Connection')

I finally found my old pics. Here is the planet before

IMG_2693.CR2.jpg

And I moved it lower only about a week ago, this is the result:

IMG_3105.CR2.jpg

That's very interesting. It looks like it developed a bit more red when you lowered it. Most posts show that this coral gets more red the higher up it goes, but a few mentioned the opposite.

What a strange coral!

That's very interesting. It looks like it developed a bit more red when you lowered it. Most posts show that this coral gets more red the higher up it goes, but a few mentioned the opposite.

What a strange coral!

+1 i was thinking the same thing

That AquaCon pic is gorgeous..

Yeah, that is probably the nicest one I've seen. I don't see any odd colors on the pic's SB, so it appears to be the coral's authentic coloration.

Do want to point out that the monster frag in Zeph's pic is now dead. :(

Oh no, what happened?

ah that sux.

Yeah, that is rough.

I just measured Alk with a 'new and inproved' Salifert kit and its slightly over 10.5 (previous kit measured 9.8). Fingers crossed that mine colors up a bit as I decrease this.

Edited by Nano sapiens
I just measured Alk with a 'new and inproved' Salifert kit and its slightly over 10.5 (previous kit measured 9.8). Fingers crossed that mine colors up a bit as I decrease this.

Hmm, I wonder if I should do the same. Do you have a link?

Hmm, I wonder if I should do the same. Do you have a link?

I bought a replacement Salifert kit a few months ago and just started using it. In the instruction sheet it' states:

The Nov 2010 version. Color are stronger and the accuracy has been improved...blah, blah.'

Supposedly the newer kit will read lower by approx 0.3 dKH. I suspect my older kit was inaccurate, mainly due to it's age, so was giving an inaccurate reading.

I bought a replacement Salifert kit a few months ago and just started using it. In the instruction sheet it' states:

The Nov 2010 version. Color are stronger and the accuracy has been improved...blah, blah.'

Supposedly the newer kit will read lower by approx 0.3 dKH. I suspect my older kit was inaccurate, mainly due to it's age, so was giving an inaccurate reading.

Ahh OK then I already have that version. Thanks :)

Updates:

Had to move the Golden Leptastrea to the SB from it's rocky perch due to encroaching on Acan colony:

GoldLeptastreaSB120812.jpg~original

Moved the Rainbow Acan from the SB up to where the Golden Lep had been:

Acans120812.jpg

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic