SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

BLASTO!

Tada! 'Superman Blasto' to be precise from 'BuddytheLion'.. Right now it just looks pissed and wrinkled as a raisin, but hopefully it'll puff up in a few days.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Man I was eyeing that one, great addition.

My track record with Blastos is less than stellar, but my fingers are crossed for this one.

My track record with Blastos is less than stellar, but my fingers are crossed for this one.

Low flow and near the sand bed has worked for me, they are very similar to acans imo.

Nano sapiens

Yeah, they are like Acans, but every one of the 2-3 I have attempted to keep has developed some type of bacterial infection. It is really frustrating when there is a coral you really like, but have problems keeping it for any length of time.

My Acans are doing very good up on the rocks, but I've placed the Blastos on the SB with some low flow.

One of the polyps has slight damage to the rim (possibly caused when I glued the frag to a mini rock), but the good news is that it just ate a small piece of Mysis. I'm going to try light daily feedings for a few weeks to make sure they have enough energy for tissue repair and general health.

Nano sapiens

'Superman Blasto' after a few days of daily feeding (thought I might loose this particular polyp, but looking so much better now):

SupermanBlasto_052913_zps6524ac28.jpg~or

And, just because, 'Rics-on-top-of-more-Rics':

RicJungle_052913_zps86f2b03e.jpg~origina

Blue/Purple Ricordia floridas getting bigger (3+ inches)...and even bluer than this pic:

Blue_PurpleRics_052913_zpse697d284.jpg~o

...and I have an order in for the last corals that will physically fit in this little tank (all Mussids...pics coming soon) :)

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Glad to see the blasto is doing better, it sure is a nice one.

The pic is under ~12k lighting, but it still looks nice I'll have to take a pic under just the Royal Blue LEDs

buddythelion

Hope the superman does well for you. I had that piece for a really long time. Maybe I should glue them down onto some sort of rock next time I frag them so that the tissue would develop around the rock vs around the skeleton. I'll keep you in mind if I find some other blasto!

Nano sapiens

Hope the superman does well for you. I had that piece for a really long time. Maybe I should glue them down onto some sort of rock next time I frag them so that the tissue would develop around the rock vs around the skeleton. I'll keep you in mind if I find some other blasto!

No worries, the one polyp was missing about 1/8 of it's tissue (which I may have caused when gluing it down to a piece of LR). I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to injured Blastos since I've lost a few to infections. I think the tank can manage one or two more Blastos, so thanks.

I received a nice blood cherry red/teal center Indo Blasto in my order today plus a few other odd goodies including an Acanthastrea bowerbanki (looks like melting florescent orange goo) and an Ultra Lobophyllia that is a psychadelic trip under Royal Blues. Lobos are often underrated, but they can be crazy patterned and colored.

Nano sapiens

They just came in about an hour ago. This weekend I'll be mounting them onto LR pieces, so I'll have some pics in a few days after they fully adjust :)

Nano sapiens

Ok, a 'sneak Peek' (Royal Blue with yellow filter), but they have yet to puff up:

UltraLoboampBowerbanki053113_zps026f463c

The Lobo on the right has a lot more orange around the center, but there are five or six florescent colors mixing it up in there so the camera is confused.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

A couple pics of the new arrivals:

Acanthastrea bowerbanki (front) and Lobophyllia hemprichii (rear):

BowerbankiampUltaLobo060213_zps1804fa73.

Indo Blastomussa wellsi (forground), Superman Blasto (right) and Acanthastrea lordhowensis:

BlastosampAcan060213_zpsc1a0ff12.jpg~ori

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Very nice man, can't wait to see these grown out.

Thanks. The Lobo is especially nice, so I'll be trying to get it to create a second polyp. The biggest worry is that the Rics are expanding to silly proportions (I measured a Florida at 6-1/2"across!) and stony corals can't take the contact.

FlowerMama

I just got 2 rics. You have a stunning ric garden and then the other elements you have just all mesh together so well. Any picture you've taken in this thread is amazing.

Nano sapiens

Thanks for the kind words. Do you have Ricordia florida or Ricordia yuma?

The Ric 'garden' has turned into more a 'jungle' these days due to increased feeding and now having (2) clownfish. The nice thing about Rics (vs the Discosoma mushrooms) is that they aren't as prone to detach, float around and make trouble elsewhere. Most of the other corals I acquired as 'mini-frags' or single polyps and I just let them grow in over time.

My camera is just an early model Olympus digital that has real trouble with LED lighting, but I do what I can with it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Playing around with taking macros today...

New Blastos getting 'puffy'. Went from reddish to orange-ish, but still nice looking:

Blastos_061513_zps79431313.jpg~original

Bowerbanki doing okie-dokie (strong nematocysts...gave me a painful welt when cleaning the tank):

Bowerbanki_061513_zps53f3a868.jpg~origin

Acropora sp. This one has started to develop a non-florescent purple pigment when I re-added a 405nm violet Stunner Strip lately. 2/3 of the backside of the coral was missing when I got it as a present from my son, but it's nearly healed (bottom, lower right):

XMASTreeAcro_061513_zps00b1076f.jpg~orig

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Five years up-and-running, so I'm celebrating with a change of title for this tank thread.

That is all...for now.

• Like 2
buddythelion

Congrats man, five years in nano reef world is like 15 years in real life.

For reals man. 5 years running without an upgrade or anything is already an accomplishment. I had my tank running for less than a year and I already want an upgrade. Congrats on the 5 year! Glad to see the superman blasto looking good.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

For reals man. 5 years running without an upgrade or anything is already an accomplishment. I had my tank running for less than a year and I already want an upgrade. Congrats on the 5 year! Glad to see the superman blasto looking good.

I don't think anyone is immune to 'upgrade-itis'. I've eyed a few of the ADA tanks, for example, but this little 12g is humming along so well and maintenance is such a breeze that I'm just not enticed enough to go through the whole new tank thing again. I'd also like to see how some of the micro-frags do over the next few years.

Your SM Blasto is doing very well. Direct feeding 2x/wk is working to keep it plump and happy.

5 years, I love it.

I can't keep blasto welsii alive, but the merletti (spelling) does ok for me. I'm sorry to hear you've had issues as well, but also glad someone with more experience is having the same issue.

I hope you can keep this tank going for another 5. :)

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic