Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

jedimasterben

Reminded me that I had one of their desktop kits and paper kits that I never opened. I spent the last hour yelling at it and not really getting it to work, mostly because the printed instructions have me getting rid of one part of the DVD, the other instructions I found online tell me to use the other part, and neither of them seem to be correct, but I got a mediocre reading from the desktop one. I put the phone one together, realized that the site doesn't know how to handle phones with a front facing camera (or more than likely anything other than iOS like most things) and it only can use the front camera on my phone, and I almost superglued the thing to my phone's face lol. It's been QUITE the night and I'm still pretty much at square one lol.

Yeah, it's never quite as easy as it looks...

I figured '2 hour max' to get this thing built and decent spectral plots, but it took most of the day (and a fair bit of cussing) to finally get everything right. In the end I was surprised that the little phone gizmo worked as well as it did, though.

Hope you are using a 'DVD R' (I just cut up an old DVD I had lying around). It'll split into two thin, flat pieces. Just remove the backing/reflectorized part and use the clear see-through part. You'll notice a bit of rainbow effect in the right light and you want to orient that correctly in the viewing window (should show in the instructions).

jedimasterben

Yeah, it's never quite as easy as it looks...

I figured '2 hour max' to get this thing built and decent spectral plots, but it took most of the day (and a fair bit of cussing) to finally get everything right. In the end I was surprised that the little phone gizmo worked as well as it did, though.

Hope you are using a 'DVD R' (I just cut up an old DVD I had lying around). It'll split into two thin, flat pieces. Just remove the backing/reflectorized part and use the clear see-through part. You'll notice a bit of rainbow effect in the right light and you want to orient that correctly in the viewing window (should show in the instructions).

I actually just ordered a diffraction grating from Amazon since these damn DVD-R do not split cleanly (the clear part is covered with bits of the shiny part). It was less than $3 shipped, so if it isn't any better I won't be out too much lol.

I actually just ordered a diffraction grating from Amazon since these damn DVD-R do not split cleanly (the clear part is covered with bits of the shiny part). It was less than $3 shipped, so if it isn't any better I won't be out too much lol.

I must have got lucky. I cut my DVD-R into fourths and was able to extract a small square that was free of imperfections.

Hope it all works out for you

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Awww, shucks... :blush:

Im in love with your tank. Im going to base my tank on this. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Glad you like it :)

I am putting your latest FTS here. :). Looks fantastic!

Thank you! :)

your tank is so matured and beautiful, and it keeps getting better every month.

Thanks. Most of what you see started off as tiny thumbnail frags, so the corals have basically 'grown into the environment' and continue to slowly change the view over time. Takes time to develop, but it gives a different look than if fully formed coral colonies are purchased and glued into place.

• Like 1

i do have a few questions for you regarding ricordea care. I received a few rics a couple days ago. The orange ones look very bleached. What's your suggestion to get them to color up again? It's not from my light since they look bleached when I first got them. I assume it's from the stress during shipping in cold weather. Also, if one looks like it is dying, is it better to remove it from the tank so whatever disease it has doesn't spread? or have you nursed sick rics back to health before?

Those are some happy ricordias! :happy:

tank is awesome as always!

Thanks!

Sometimes the Rics are a bit too happy! It might sound cruel, but it's gotten to the point where I just snip the heads off if they start stinging the neighbors. And now my sand bed is getting full of 'chopped heads'!

i do have a few questions for you regarding ricordea care. I received a few rics a couple days ago. The orange ones look very bleached. What's your suggestion to get them to color up again? It's not from my light since they look bleached when I first got them. I assume it's from the stress during shipping in cold weather. Also, if one looks like it is dying, is it better to remove it from the tank so whatever disease it has doesn't spread? or have you nursed sick rics back to health before?

Ideally, you'll want to give them some time to recover from shipping stress. Perhaps start them off on the sand bed in bright, but indirect light and low-moderate flow. If they start to 'trumpet' (reach) towards the light then gradually move them into a brighter location. After a week or so you can try to feed a small amount of food, but if they don't accept it then try again in another week.

Color (pigment formation) has to do with light qualities and intensities and how much food is available. In a near sterile tank Rics often will look bleached, but when enough nutrients are available they can maintain rich pigmentation. Too much light will also make them look pale.

Rics occur in nature in deeper water (where they tend to be singular or form small colonies of large individuals), but also in shallow water where they can for large 'beds' of smaller clones.

They tend to melt away rather quickly when really not doing well If they are just shrinking, then that becomes trickier to handle since the cause(s) could be many.

• Like 3

oh my! :eek: It just keeps getting better...

Thanks, Rehype!

After 5-1/2 years I'm still having fun fiddling with this little glass box of salty water :)

Speaking of fiddling, not sure if you saw the DIY spectrometer and spectrum reading on the previous page.

Thanks, Rehype!

After 5-1/2 years I'm still having fun fiddling with this little glass box of salty water :)

Speaking of fiddling, not sure if you saw the DIY spectrometer and spectrum reading on the previous page.

I just read through it.... that is really impressive!

I just read through it.... that is really impressive!

Took a while to get everything working properly, but well worth the effort to actually be able to validate the spectrum/respective intensities for essentially no cost. :)

I'll need to put up a 'DIY' for the spectrometer. If we can eventually create a thread of plots of different lighting systems (LED only, LED+T5, etc.), then we'd have something to look at to compare the lighting aspects of different reef tanks as well as examine potential lighting related problems, etc.

Have you been able to get your yuma to pink yet? Mine sprouted a baby but they're both still red. Argh!

Well, it's slightly more pink than it was a month ago...and now it's over 2" across. Funny thing is, it'll change coloration on a day-by-day basis which I think is a function of just how expanded it is...or isn't. I also have noticed that certain areas are intensifying pigment, too, which I'll take as a good sign. I guess time alone will tell.

Cool that you have a little one growing. I may/may not have one since I can't see much under all the puffiness :)

• Like 1

I like the shrooms! I have a 5 month old tank hopefully my ricordeas grow out like yours looks awesome!

They can take a while to get going, so just be patient with them.

Took a while to get everything working properly, but well worth the effort to actually be able to validate the spectrum/respective intensities for essentially no cost. :)

I'll need to put up a 'DIY' for the spectrometer. If we can eventually create a thread of plots of different lighting systems (LED only, LED+T5, etc.), then we'd have something to look at to compare the lighting aspects of different reef tanks as well as examine potential lighting related problems, etc.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Ill provide the halides ;)

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic