ReefCleaners.org

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Feed multiple times in small quantities. This is the natural pattern in the ocean where daily plankton blooms are heavy in the morning and afternoon. Many corals open their polyps at night as this is a time for swaths of plankton to emerge.

I had various Euphyllia for years in my old 50g. Once in a while I'd loose a Torch head for no apparent reason while the rest of the coral(s) looked fine, so it's not a big deal IMO.

I'm feeding a variety of froze once daily right now. My macro should get here Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I'm going to start adding a second feeding every other day. I hope to be up to two feedings daily by the end of the month. Morning for sure and then maybe when my kiddo gets home from school (3ish). She likes to watch everything eat. Then later I could add a third feeding after lights out, maybe.

Nano sapiens

I'm feeding a variety of froze once daily right now. My macro should get here Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I'm going to start adding a second feeding every other day. I hope to be up to two feedings daily by the end of the month. Morning for sure and then maybe when my kiddo gets home from school (3ish). She likes to watch everything eat. Then later I could add a third feeding after lights out, maybe.

Think about the amount of food you feed daily now and just divide that amount into thirds (3x/day feeding) and you have a good starting point. An analogy to human beings is eating a humongous meal once a day vs eating three smaller meals that make up the same overall volume. Which is better for the body's system? ;)

If your macro grows well, best practice is to keep it trimmed to a certain size and not let it get out of control. This way you will be regularly removing some phosphate from the system. If any parts of it start to die/disintegrate, remove the dying part right away to prevent phosphate and other substances being released back into the water column.

• Like 1
MyLiquidBlue29BC

Think about the amount of food you feed daily now and just divide that amount into thirds (3x/day feeding) and you have a good starting point. An analogy to human beings is eating a humongous meal once a day vs eating three smaller meals that make up the same overall volume. Which is better for the body's system? ;)

If your macro grows well, best practice is to keep it trimmed to a certain size and not let it get out of control. This way you will be regularly removing some phosphate from the system. If any parts of it start to die/disintegrate, remove the dying part right away to prevent phosphate and other substances being released back into the water column.

Makes total sense :) Right now I'm dissolving some Ova, cyclopeeze, and mysis into fishy soup. Maybe I'll do the little stuff in the morning and mysis later in the day.

I'm placing the macro in a easy to get to, visible spot so I can really take care of it. I'm a little nervous about it, honestly, so I'm starting out with some red gracilaria. I have one citron goby and one occy clownfish right now. I plan to add a dragonet and another occy (husband and kid picked the dragonet and pair of clowns)...so in a 29 gallon BioCube I feel like that might be a fairly high bioload. I'm hoping the macro will help with that.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I'm trying to talk them into a scooter, but they want a male mandarin. We saw one at a LFS that was huge, easily 4", and they just loved him.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Great fish and I'm sure you are aware of the feeding requirements.

I've done a lot of reeding on feeding them and asked metrokat's advice, as well. I'm slowly trying to prepare everything. I know I will have to feed heavily, so I put in an order for a custom CUC, macro, and seed pods with Reef Cleaners. I'm going to give the pods and maco a few weeks to get settled and for me to increase feeding a little at a time so I don't overwhelm my bio filtration when we finally get the mandy. My LFS gets them from ORA and most eat Ova already. If it isn't already eating frozen, it isn't coming home. I still need to find a source for live adult brine and live black worms just in case I get it home and it won't eat.

Research...research...research

What do you think of my plan? :)

Nano sapiens

Sounds like a good plan. I'd suggest being careful with the CUC, especially if it includes lots of snails. A few larger ones (or lots of smaller ones) dying can unbalance the system (ammonia spikes, etc.). With a 29g it's much less of a problem than in a tiny Pico where one medium sized snail death can be a real problem if not removed quickly, but still something to consider.

I used to keep Black Worms in the frig for a few weeks at a time. Just keep them clean (rinse daily, if possible) and you'll have a supply for quite a while. Brine shrimp are easy to hatch, so it's easy to have a daily supply. I also used to raise Dwarf African Red Worms in a styro ice chest and feed them veggie leftovers from the kitchen. I then used the small, newly hatched worms to feed young fish. Easy to raise and very high in protein, but low in fats. Anyway, feeding aquatic, ocean derived foods mostly with occasional 'treats' (like Blackworms) would be a good strategy, IMO.

One of the things all the TOTMs that I like have in common is that they feed their tanks multiple times a day. So I'm trying to immulate that and not be afraid of feeding everything.

that's what i tried doing and boom...algae outbreak =(.

They key is balance. You can't add one component without compensating for it in another way. If you are increasing nutrients, you have to increase export of those nutrients.

• Like 1
MyLiquidBlue29BC

Sounds like a good plan. I'd suggest being careful with the CUC, especially if it includes lots of snails. A few larger ones (or lots of smaller ones) dying can unbalance the system (ammonia spikes, etc.). With a 29g it's much less of a problem than in a tiny Pico where one medium sized snail death can be a real problem if not removed quickly, but still something to consider.

I used to keep Black Worms in the frig for a few weeks at a time. Just keep them clean (rinse daily, if possible) and you'll have a supply for quite a while. Brine shrimp are easy to hatch, so it's easy to have a daily supply. I also used to raise Dwarf African Red Worms in a styro ice chest and feed them veggie leftovers from the kitchen. I then used the small, newly hatched worms to feed young fish. Easy to raise and very high in protein, but low in fats. Anyway, feeding aquatic, ocean derived foods mostly with occasional 'treats' (like Blackworms) would be a good strategy, IMO.

I have a few hermits and Nass snails that should make quick work of dead snails as long I don't get a mass die off. But I do an accounting of my snails every few days just in case.

The live food is just to help transition to frozen. I really don't like to culture live foods, but I can if need be. I use to breed bettas, so I had microworms, vinegar eels, and, of course, baby brine shrimp. I haven't heard of those red worms, though. They sound pretty easy. I am hoping to offer a more custom diet as I learn more though...like whole fish, shrimp, and clams maybe.

Nano sapiens

Mods should just sticky this build thread...I learn more here than hours of combing through other forums / threads =)

I try to keep this thread focused on the topic of...drum roll, please...'nano reef aquariums', so it's hopefully a bit easier to find pertinent info.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Update...

Every week I've been creating boundaries between corals to prevent annihilation. A side effect of this activity has been a lot of mucus/tissue starting to gum up my power head. This referee is officially on strike, so we'll see if Darwin was right ('Survival of the most ruthless') ;)

See if you can identify these combatants in the photo below:

1. 'Oxides' Zoas

2. Montipora setosa

3. 'Super Hero' Montipora (hint: It's red)

4. Speckled Fire-and Ice Zoas

5. Leptastrea pruinosa

6. ORA 'Red Planet' Acropora (hint: It's all green)

7. Pavona maldivensis

9. Montipora digitata

10. Acropora millepora

11. Montipora undata

12. 'Sunset' Montipora

SPSWars1_100414_zpsb997256a.jpg~original

I plan to take a pic every month or so there'll be a sequential documentation of the carnage.

So stay tuned for the next exciting installment of 'Coral Wars on a Rock'!

• Like 9

When I grow up...I want a tank like yours. I have your tank as my wallpaper and see it everyday to keep me on track.

I sure would like a Mandy though, I've read and re-read Kat's mandy thread. But I don't even have my tank up yet. I am waiting...patiently...for my stand to get shipped and it's been delayed twice :blink: So it will be a long long time before I can get it stocked and even longer before I am ready for a mandy.

I read and read and look at YouTubes all day long and plan. Until that day when I can start my build thread and geterdone! My lonely Nuvo 16 sits and waits, empty and hungry! But I keep hearing that phrase on here....nothing good happens fast.......

I am following a guy I subscribe to cyberaquarist on YouTube who does dry rock cycling. I will have control over my bacteria and good stuff. This method seems to be the quickest cycling technique and the safest. I may need your help with it....be talkin.

Glad to see that the tank is giving you some inspiration.

'Patience is a virtue', especially in this hobby. Take it slow, read a lot and think things through (especially before dropping big bucks on something).

Feel free to ask questions as they arise.

On 1/4/2014 at 5:53 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Update...

Every week I've been creating boundaries between corals to prevent annihilation. A side effect of this activity has been a lot of mucus/tissue starting to gum up my power head. This referee is officially on strike, so we'll see if Darwin was right ('Survival of the most ruthless') ;)

See if you can identify these combatants in the photo below:

1. 'Oxides' Zoas

2. Montipora setosa

3. 'Super Hero' Montipora (hint: It's red)

4. Speckled Fire-and Ice Zoas

5. Leptastrea pruinosa

6. ORA 'Red Planet' Acropora (hint: It's all green)

7. Pavona maldivensis

9. Montipora digitata

10. Acropora millepora

11. Montipora undata

12. 'Sunset' Montipora

SPSWars1_100414_zpsb997256a.jpg~original

I plan to take a pic every month or so there'll be a sequential documentation of the carnage.

So stay tuned for the next exciting installment of 'Coral Wars on a Rock'!

And people tell me I'm overstocked on corals. omgomgomg

And people tell me I'm overstocked on corals. omgomgomg

It's nearly unavoidable since they all look so darn tempting :)

I did take two corals to the LFS this weekend (A. bowerbanki and A. lordhowensis), but it hardly made a dent with so many Rics flopping around.

Theres no such thing as being overstocked on corals ;)

Yeah, if you have too many they'll just start killing each other off...

• Like 1
Hello, I write from Spain, barcelona have to desirte I really like your aquarium is wonderful

I started one of only 13 g and have circulation pump and nothing more rock

your aquarium inspired me, I've read all your post without knowing any English, I have translated all: D

the trouble is I do not have a good light is my light 7w eheim powerled blue white blue but what could I allow when I have more money I'll upgrade the lighting

Now I have zoos, and sarco brieñum long polyp

I hope you understand because I have translated all, congratulations for your aquarium and are a source of ideas I have inspiration, thanks

• Like 2

Very nice tank. I like your mods along the way as well. Contemplating a 28 gallon bowfront, and some of your equipment ideas will come in handy. I especially like that top off. Nice job.

Hello, I write from Spain, barcelona have to desirte I really like your aquarium is wonderful
I started one of only 13 g and have circulation pump and nothing more rock
your aquarium inspired me, I've read all your post without knowing any English, I have translated all: D
the trouble is I do not have a good light is my light 7w eheim powerled blue white blue but what could I allow when I have more money I'll upgrade the lighting
Now I have zoos, and sarco brieñum long polyp
I hope you understand because I have translated all, congratulations for your aquarium and are a source of ideas I have inspiration, thanks

That'a a lot of translation you did there! :)

It appears that you are asking a question regarding the type of lighting. Since lighting is so important to the corals we keep, you need to consider buying the best that you can afford. It should have enough power to keep coral on the sand bed healthy, cover the spectrum that corals utilize for growth and pigment production and also look pleasant to your eye. Another alternative is to make your own LED array, but I'm not sure if you want to try this.

Very nice tank. I like your mods along the way as well. Contemplating a 28 gallon bowfront, and some of your equipment ideas will come in handy. I especially like that top off. Nice job.

Thank you. Good luck with the 28g!

hehe if pe pass a good time translating but I learn a lot about the subject of light here is still quite expensive, this light that I bought cost me 80 euros in my opinion are very expensive and only 7 w

thanks for replying

a greeting

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic