SaltCritters.com

Canon XSi or Nikon d40

cuboy

SaltWaterNewb
No arguements please, but it seems we are back on topic. Without ANY bashing, please let me adress your statement.

Thats like buying a high performance car and saying, "I dont care what engine it has, or the tires it uses, as long as it "looks" the same and gets me from point a to point b".

There is nothing "abstract" about pointing out that a major camera maker has started to outsource one of the most major components of their products. Also, 5 minutes of research and you will see why the CMOS sensor is much better than the CCD sensor in many ways.

These are high dollar cameras compared to anyting but other DSLR's one brand uses more advanced coponents than anothers, and has a super easy to use operating system that they have kept the same for years..."if it aint broke dont fix it". This would make it a better purchase for a new dslr customer.

As far as how the buttons and grip feels, thats subject to anyone interpritation, but the other facts are just that, facts, and should be taken into account when making a first time purchase of this magnitude.

I'm glad you are leaning towards the camera you are, you will be very happy.

Ok SDT...this is a legitimate question I am asking you. Nikon uses Sony sensors. Since that is such a huge issue with you I can only assume that Canon makes their own. I don't know because I don't like Canon so I have never really looked in to them or know much about them. But my question is why does that matter so much to you? I mean seriously. I am not trying to be a smarta$$ here. I am sincerely curious. And also you say that CMOS sensor is much better than the CCD. Ok. That is fine. But regardless, photos that come from a Nikon camera (DSLR) with a decent lens are just as good as pictures that come from a Canon with the same lens. The proof is all over the internet. Go to any photography site and you can see thousands of examples of fantastic photos taken by Nikon AND Canon. So in my opinion at least, even if Nikon is out sourcing and using older technology, but they are getting the same results as Canon, why would Nikon be a bad choice for someone buying a DSLR for the first time? And just to clarify why I don't like Canon. All that is with me is brand loyalty. Nothing more. I have no disrespect for Canon. You will never find a post anywhere on the who net where I have ever disrespected Canon. It is simply that when I used to do surveillance work at my job I used a Nikon. That was my first real exposure to a DSLR and it has just stuck with me. Now, if any of this comes across as bashing or anything of the like, let me know so I can edit because that is not my intent with this post.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SaltWaterNewb
Actually, the sony CMOS sensor is a good sensor, but only the D300 uses it. I just dont like the fact a major brand isnt following everyone else and making their own, better component, they are piggy backing on sony and charging much more for the sensor.

The D90, D700, D2X, D2Xs, and D3 are also using the CMOS sensor. See, we are catching up :D

Not at all now we are getting somewhere! :)

But my question is why does that matter so much to you? I mean seriously. I am not trying to be a smarta$$ here. I am sincerely curious. And also you say that CMOS sensor is much better than the CCD. Ok. That is fine. But regardless, photos that come from a Nikon camera (DSLR) with a decent lens are just as good as pictures that come from a Canon with the same lens.

why would Nikon be a bad choice for someone buying a DSLR for the first time? And just to clarify why I don't like Canon. All that is with me is brand loyalty. Nothing more. I have no disrespect for Canon.

Its not that it matters so much to me, but just like you, it is instilled in me from my last job. The OP askied which camera everyone though he sould get. Rather than just say get a canon or get a nikon, I told him why he should get a canon and why he should not get a nikon. I shouldnt have said nikon stinks in the beginning, for that I appologize, I should have taken the strictly factual approach.

It's easy to get good shots with a CMOS sensor in almost any strange lighting situation, like the blue light from a reef tank. For a beginner the CMOS is easier to use IMO. I have used both, we use a nikon d40 and a canon XSi at the LFS I work at to take pictures. I have also used many other nikons and canon, and have drawn my conclusion this way. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I went in with the outlook that either camera had to prove to me why it was better before I bought one. I ended up with a canon and the newer models since then have all followed suit IMO. This does not mean either camera is not capable of producing a great image, but it's easier with the cmos cameras, including the d300 and apparently the d90.

summers.enemy
Thats like buying a high performance car and saying, "I dont care what engine it has, or the tires it uses, as long as it "looks" the same and gets me from point a to point b".

Well, those are the things that matter to me when I make a camera decision. What do I care if I have an amazing sensor, top of the line lens and flash, if the camera is too heavy for me to comfortably hold for 6 or 8 hours? I can't take one of those amazing pictures if the grip is an awkward shape and makes my hand go numb after 30 minutes? It all has to come together in one package, and sometimes that means making "sacrifices" and have an older type of technology. As another poster says, you can look on any photography site anywhere and see fantastic pictures taken on cameras with CCD sensors. For the user, it's not going to be more difficult as all we still do is set the cam and push a button. (Although I am a huge advocate of never using auto mode when you're a beginner).

And I'd forgotten that about the CF cards, thanks. Unfortunately the higher end models I use still have CF cards. :(

Also, it seems to me that we should be comparing the D60 and the XSI. IIRC, wasn't the D40 released like 2 years ago? So of course, it will be older technology than the XSI. Although I'd imagine it would be quite a bit cheaper.

SaltWaterNewb

Yeah, the D40 came out about two years ago. I do agree that feel and layout are important. I won't even disagree with SDT that CMOS is a better sensor than CCD. As far as the D60 vs. XSi, as much as it pains me to say, the XSi would be a better camera for the money. The D60 is slightly less money but uses the CCD, has less mega pixels, no AF focus motor in the body, smaller LCD....

Soooooo....... which camera you gonna buy? :lol:

Please say Nikon, please say Nikon... come on... say Nikon..... paaahhhhlllleaaaaassseeee.

:P

It's more like, comparing 2 high performace cars, and saying which one do I feel more comfortable driving around in?

The point is, at this level, the thing that will prevent you from taking great pics is not the limitations of the camera, it's the limitations of your skill, and to an extent, the quality of the lens you're using. Either camera can take equally good pictures.

So, in the end, it comes down to the way it feels in your hands and the amount you want to spend on lenses. The body of the camera is not the important part here.

I am happy to see the turn in this thread....I wish I could get one of these cameras, but for now I will keep pointing my POS and shooting with it....until I can actually go out and point AT it and Shoot IT!!!!

The last really nice camera I owned was a Nikon F1, before that I had a Canon A1 and an Olympus OM-1. Sure, these were all 35mm's, but they were all 3 very fine cameras. I loved all 3, but have to reiterate the need to go out and hold one for a while before buying. While I got great results from every one, the Olympus was a problem for me because I have very large hands and it was a very small camera. Read and research, but then "test drive" before dropping the bux for these cameras.

alright, so this case should now be closed

last night on dexter sealed the deal for me:

dexter - nikon

pedophile - canon

:haha:

I noticed that too........ -_-

alright, so this case should now be closed

last night on dexter sealed the deal for me:

dexter - nikon

pedophile - canon

o boi...

:unsure:

The XSI is the way to go with tank shots, best SLR for it I have seen! I guess you could say the XS and 40d have it as well.

There is this awesome zoom function in the live veiw mode that lets you digitally zoom way in to make sure your in focus BEFORE you shoot....In other words, no more taking 5 pictures and then having to review them and zoom in to see whats in focus.......It is really THE FEATURE to have for macro photography.

Try it, go to a CC or a BB and put it on live view, any mode besides auto, usually "P" is the esiest for those who dont know how to use a SLR, and then press the middle "enter" button for the live view to come on....Then use the zoon in button to zoom in and the center of your frame, you can then see the actualy focus before you shoot, no more quessing!

I have an xt and the xsi makes me want to throw it at the wall.

Ohh yeah, no matter what, DO NOT get nikon with thier puny CCD sensors and crappy manufacturing quality. Canon rules, Nikon suckz. Even the newer nikons like the d300 still use a SONY sensor lol......They have so little money to spend on R & D that they are buying parts from their competition lol.

Nikon has not been known for their image sensors, but are known for their optics, auto-focus sensors and superb metering. If your camera does not auto-focus as well or meter as well, then it doesn't really matter if the sensor can resolve more details. Canon has better sensors but Nikon generally has better glass (though Canon Glass is VERY GOOD), auto-focusing and metering. In terms of subjective opinions, I believe most people prefer the fit and finish of Nikon's versus Canon's. Though SDT states that more people return their Nikon DSLR's then their Canon Equivalent, i've heard the exact opposite. The D60 or D40 fit and finish IMHO is better then that of the Canon XSI and XT, i've held both in my hands. The Sharpness you see on Canon's is due to their anti-aliasing filter being weaker then Nikons. Weaker Anti-aliasing filters will appear sharper but will have problems with moire. The noise on the D40 is amazing, but Canon is known for having lower noise then Nikon's. Noise really doesn't bother me that much as long as the detail is there. Though the D40 only has 3 autofocus sensors, I believe it has 530 contrast point sensors.

I kind of like the nikon feeling in my hands and my gf likes the xti feeling.

Stick with what you like.... many cameras outlive relationships.

whati'mjustsayingisall?

Stick with what you like.... many cameras outlive relationships.

whati'mjustsayingisall?

been together for over 5 years.

Plus, she'll be using the camera more than I am. I just want it to take tank shots =]

been together for over 5 years.

Plus, she'll be using the camera more than I am. I just want it to take tank shots =]

then i say get the cannon. it is probably easier for someone with large hands to use a small camera than it is for someone with small hands to use a large camera, imo.

hmmmm

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom Lenses - $531.19 after taxed shipped

or

Canon EOS Rebel XSi black with 18-55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S - $621.88 after taxed shipped.

hmmmm

Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom Lenses - $531.19 after taxed shipped

or

Canon EOS Rebel XSi black with 18-55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S - $621.88 after taxed shipped.

I would not purchase a 55-200 mm kit unless it were VR. 18-55 without VR, you could get away with, but not the 55-200 VR. The VR makes a huge difference at tighter zooms.

The Propagator
I just tried "P" mode.

I have no idea what it means, but it blew my mind.

In case you can't tell, I have no idea what I'm doing. I bought a rebel w/a tamron macro lens and the standard kit lens for $225 the other day, I couldn't pass it up.

"P" mode stands for "Program".

When in P mode you are using what ever settings you have set your self, or that are present in stock configuration.

"TV" is shutter speed priority.

"AV" is aperture priority.

"M" is manual focus.

Archived