ReefCleaners.org

Canon XSi or Nikon d40

cuboy

SaltWaterNewb

I won't argue with you on that point. But do you think Canons don't break? They do. No camera is going to be immune from breakage. On the other side I also know people with Nikons that have over 200,000 clicks and still going strong without a problem. But regardless of their shortcomings I still love my Nikon and I just didn't like the untrue bashing. Just because they are behind does not mean they suck.

On the point and shoot issue, I have actually never used a Nikon so I can not comment. I know at the time my Canon was nice. It is about 4 years old and still works ok. The refresh rate on it is not too bad but it still uses AA batteries :P I also have a FujuFilm FinePix 7000 P&S that is a really good camera, especially for the price.

Then get out of the hobby and leave this forum.

Sorry, not going anywhere. If nothing else I'll just join the other 90% of tankless members here and hang out in the lounge.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, you post edit them. Sorry if my tank and corals look good enough that I dont have to post edit my pics. I hate when people dont post natural looking pics. And whats so great about your pics? Those zoas dont look any better than mine as far as image quality goes, and I wasnt even using a camera!

This thread origionally never was about who is the best photographer until Newby threw his tantrum....It was about who makes the betetr camera, Nikon d40 or Canon XSi.

Canon wins, Nikon fails.

This thread isnt about cameras anymore, I'm out!

summers.enemy
"Fine" means they work, but that doent mean one is superior and easier to use than another.

Exactly my point. I have extensively used both brands in high demand situations, neither are superior or easier to use than the other. I can come up with high and low points for each brand:

*Canon 580 Flash sucks batteries

*Nikon grips tend to be too large for my hand

*Buttons on the Canon can be pushed and flipped easily by accident

*Nikon body sucks batteries

*I hate CF cards (both brands take the cake in this one)

*I wish the xsi had a top view panel so I don't have to get into the menu to see stuff

I could go on and on, but I won't cause it's obviously pointless. Yes Ms. Icon, whatever you say must be correct.

Smartest thing you have said in this whole thread.

Shame I had to drag you through the mud first huh? ;)

I have extensively used both brands in high demand situations

But this isnt a high demand situation, it is probably this persons first DSLR and the Canon is the better choice in this situation.

SaltWaterNewb
Shame I had to drag you through the mud first huh? ;)

Thought you were out. And yes, you actually did start slinging mud first.

Ohh yeah, no matter what, DO NOT get nikon with thier puny CCD sensors and crappy manufacturing quality. Canon rules, Nikon suckz. Even the newer nikons like the d300 still use a SONY sensor lol......They have so little money to spend on R & D that they are buying parts from their competition lol.

So....I don't want to get OFF TOPIC but which camera do y'all think is the best bang for the buck....I don't care who takes pics of what, and I'm not interested in who knows whom, or looks better in a bikini, or even who has the nicer tank....I'm not really even interested in who has nothing better to put somebody down about....just the camera question again....

I have a POS camera, and would love to buy a new one, but all my money seems to go into my tank....I wish somebody had informed me that the one I bought last year sucked as bad as it does, but nope....anyway, isn't this a reef forum, and not a personal attack forum?

People who get defensive about the brand of something they own are really pathetic....a Lambo in your driveway doesn't make you a better person....remember, personal insults are really a sad appraisal of one's own shortcomings.....

Maybe somebody needs to trade their camera for a LIFE!!!!! And, if anybody is wndering which individual I'm aiming this at, it's probably you....Let's NOT make a camera question personal....

nuff said....

So....I don't want to get OFF TOPIC but which camera do y'all think is the best bang for the buck

I have a POS camera, and would love to buy a new one, but all my money seems to go into my tank....I wish somebody had informed me that the one I bought last year sucked as bad as it does, but nope....anyway, isn't this a reef forum, and not a personal attack forum?

I wont argue anymore, but I will participate in the actual topic.

For tank shots, best bang for the buck, I really like the Canon S5 IS, although the new SX10 IS looks nice too, when you can get it. Super macro mode for great macros, available conversion lenses, and shoe for adding a flash makes it a great camera for tank and normal shots. The face detection is pretty cool for people shots.

May I ask what camera you have now?

SaltWaterNewb
I have a POS camera, and would love to buy a new one,

Budget? Are you wanting a new P&S or are you wanting to move over to DSLR's?

I really don't have the money to buy anything just now, but I would love to get into the DSLR realm....I have owned Nikon, Canon and Olympus film cameras in the past, and loved them all...my current camera is a Casio, bought from a now defunct store....it even has a red line through the pics....

I am always reading and comparing, but the current economy claimed me as a victim, so my budget is non-existent, but I follow stuff just to dream...(and by the way, my current one is a P&S, AS WELL AS a POS, meaning a Piece Of Shist)....

Does the S5 is do decent macro? That's really my biggest challenge....

Casios have platic lenses and their photo processors leave a lot to be desired. The s5 has a great macro, and even a super macro for shots so close it will focus on something touching the lens!....Also knowns as a 0cm macro.

Wow SDT at her best....

I had read about her in other forums and feel fortunate to have found this thread, anyway it's all true;

1. self centered

2. pretentious

3. know it all

4. angry

5. self absorbed

6. condescending

Please get help...

"ICON" LOL (couldn't stop laughing)

Interesting I'll agree with but just because of your ability to poison the life out of any logical discussion on these forums.

I just had throw my 2 cents into the mix, Anyway good day all...

Wow SDT at her best....

I had read about her in other forums and feel fortunate to have found this thread, anyway it's all true;

1. self centered

2. pretentious

3. know it all

4. angry

5. self absorbed

6. condescending

Please get help...

Interesting I'll agree with but just because of your ability to poison the life out of any logical discussion on these forums.

oh SNAP!

In the name of information, can you people just PLEASE STOP the slamming and BS!!!!??

Some of us are here to try and get INFORMATION!!!

Get a life. You people probably key other peoples' cars just so they will suck like yours'.

Just stop the personal digs. SDT has gone past the crap and is now just trying to move on....give it a rest...children....

SaltWaterNewb
Casios have platic lenses and their photo processors leave a lot to be desired. The s5 has a great macro, and even a super macro for shots so close it will focus on something touching the lens!....Also knowns as a 0cm macro.

I'll actually agree with that. The s5 is a great camera. I have a FujiPix FinePix S7000 that is a decent camera that can be had for <$200. Someone said they saw them recently for like $120.

For the DSLR side, without getting in to another argument, I would recommend that you go to a store that has several cameras and hold them and play with the buttons and decide which is a good fit for you as far as feel and lay out. No matter what anyone says, you are going to get good shots from Canon or Nikon. It really comes down to user preference and money.

No problem Mitch!

Wow SDT at her best....

1. self centered - How am I self centered? I give all kinds of advice and free coral!

2. pretentious - I just have a nice tank and help a lot of people. Call it what you want

3. know it all - Hey call me out if you think I'm ever wrong, you may not like it but I speak when I'm right

4. angry - Only when people start calling names and making things personal, like you

5. self absorbed - Sure, I am proud of myself. Great feeling you would know about.

6. condescending - Again only when I am provoked.

Please get help...

Hahahahaha :lol:

What other fourms did you read about me in? Lemme gues SCNRS!? How do I posion the life out of discussions lol? This is like the only controversial thread I have posted on in like a year lol. I am usually to busy helping people in the reef sections. Totally untrue statements. From the looks of your tank you are one of those in need of help, but not for me for sure.

I only get like this when someone personally attacks me. Heck I give free coral away to anyone who pays shipping!

So go f*** yourself! ;)

SaltWaterNewb
give D40 Review a read.

I have two issues with the D40 that would keep me from recommending it.

1. Lack of controls on the camera. You have to dig in to the menu for some the settings that should be easily accessible by buttons on the camera.

2. Lenses. The D40 does not have an auto focus motor in the camera. This mean that in order to use the AF function you have to buy lenses that have the motor built in to them. This means more expensive lenses and less choices available.

as a current D40 and D80 user I have to point out the shortcoming that 05X brought to light about the focus points is important and a serious downfall for the D40

it may not seem important at first until you try to compose a shot that isn't just a snapshot, in that case the 3 focus points really sucks on the D40, when I got the D80 with 11 spots I was able to see how important that really is

I should also mention that the new D60 is also only 3 points

SWN - re: high iso performance, the D90 is improved, but the D700 is obviously amazing, following the footsteps of the D300 and D3

IMO best bang for buck depends on your use and situation

if your cousin has 900 canon lenses in his collection, I'd obviously get that so I could borrow/buy some lenses

on the other hand, if you're like me and the second you picked up a digital rebel you knew it wasn't for you (hand fit, grip size, button placement) then the nikon would be the better

this is seriously like buying a ford or a chevy, get in the dang car and drive it and see for yourself which is better

I have two issues with the D40 that would keep me from recommending it.

1. Lack of controls on the camera. You have to dig in to the menu for some the settings that should be easily accessible by buttons on the camera.

+1

2. Lenses. The D40 does not have an auto focus motor in the camera. This mean that in order to use the AF function you have to buy lenses that have the motor built in to them. This means more expensive lenses and less choices available.

I agree to a point, but IMO most of nikons nicer lenses are AF-S anyways, so it really only prevents you from buying the cheap slow glass anyways (the exception for nicer older glass and the 50 f/1.8, etc)

Archived