inTank Media Baskets

Canon XSi or Nikon d40

cuboy

SaltWaterNewb

Knock my tank if you want. I don't care. Fact is I have not done anything with it other than maintain it. I have not put any money in to it since I am working on a PDF viv at the moment so my money and efforts are going in to that.

And who cares if I got a D200 in 2008. I also only paid half of what it was when it first came out. I am not a pro so for me there is no need to get a $5000 camera or the most up to date camera.

Yeah, thats guys name is Jack Watson, he is a professional photographer.

Jack Watson Photography

Back to laughing at your so called tank! :lol:

Who cares what the old guy's name is. You insinuated that you were a pro photographer in your post, then the next one you say your not. Which is it? And I still have not seen any nice shots from you....

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then dont complain when someone calls your camera out of date and inferior to a Canon!!!! :o:lol::rolleyes:

Knock on anything of mine you want, the fact is the pics and tank look better than your. Its obvious you love your camera so much you will make it a personal fight. I have belonged to some pretty rough forums, your not going to deter me from sharing my opinion.

I didnt say I was..."there are three girls who are all way out of your league, one of which is a much better reefer than you, and an actual professional photographer"...Its pretty clear what I meant. There are four people in that picture, I was in no way saying that I was the pro. The old guy is one of the better photogs in this area and has a ton of nice equipment, all of which I have gotten hands on experience with. The camera in the picture is a D2x....I have used all the high doller nikons and I am not impressed by any of them.

You know the tank pics I posted are nice but its all you got so of course you are going to call them bad. Anyone who looks at my corals shots and yours will easily be able to see which are nicer looking, much nicer than anything you will ever accomplish in this hobby.

Your camera isnt as nice as some others available from other brands at better prices. Get over it! you make it personal like a little sissy, and then I get to make you look bad. Your shooting yourself in the foot here.

SaltWaterNewb
I dont really think there is anything funny about that pic other than there are three girls who are all way out of your league, one of which is a much better reefer than you, and an actual professional photographer, but if you say so lets chuckle! :lol:

C'mon lets see some more coral shots or a FTS? Please? Dont make me hunt one down!

No, your shots are not nice. They are too dark and not in focus and the colors suck so try again. Lets see something.

And in your post you said there were three girls, one of which thinks she is a better reefer AND a professional photographer. That sounds like you are saying that you are a pro photographer. If you meant that the creepy guy is the pro, then you need better word your posts. As it was, your post much like your photos was very unclear.

Your camera isnt as nice as some others available from other brands at better prices. Get over it! you make it personal like a little sissy, and then I get to make you look bad. Your shooting yourself in the foot here.

I never said that my camera was the best. I know there are better ones out there, both Nikon and Canon. But I know that my camera does not "suckz" either.

one of which thinks she is a better reefer.

Hahahaha.........

Mine-

DSC010791.JPG

Yours-

Fulltank.jpg

Healthy-

DSC010702.JPG

Dying-

Zoas.jpg

Colorful-

DSC01855.JPG

Brown-

Paly.jpg

How are my pics out of focus again? And for not shopping like you do, my colors look great. Thats right from the camera, all your pics look cropped and enhanced.

Your pretty pathetic dude, you cant even talk about cameras, you just make it personal, and in that you still get beat. You own an out of date camera that you just bought, your tank suckz and looks like crap, and you think your pics in sunlight of bugs make you a good photog. You know exactly what I meant, you are just splitting hair looking for something to argue about. Why dont you spend some time and money on your tank since you saved so much buying your old azz camera. But I assume your the kind of person though that even with money, your tank would never look nice.

Thats right, I'm the new Kraylen. B)

Love how the Nikon posse cant talk about cameras without making it personal. Pretty weak guys!

SaltWaterNewb
How are my pics out of focus again? And for not shopping like you do, my colors look great. Thats right from the camera, all your pics look cropped and enhanced.

Your pretty pathetic dude, you cant even talk about cameras, you just make it personal, and in that you still get beat. You own an out of date camera that you just bought, your tank suckz and looks like crap, and you think your pics in sunlight of bugs make you a good photog. You know exactly what I meant, you are just splitting hair looking for something to argue about. Why dont you spend some time and money on your tank since you saved so much buying your old azz camera. But I assume your the kind of person though that even with money, your tank would never look nice.

They are out of focus because you suck. That is how. All my photos are from the camera. The only thing I do is crop and resize. The FTS to posted up was when the tank was first setup. But like I said, I don't care because I have not made any effort with it. I guess if having a better tank makes you a better photographer then you are the big wiener....I mean winner.

Oh and just for the record, the zoas that you say are dying, that was taken just a few moments after I got them in the mail and glued them down and placed them in the tank. Those six zoas are doing great now and there are about 20+ of them now, so not dying.

so this went from Cameras to comparing fish tanks now....HMMMMM

since this thread makes no sense at all anymore..I am gonna toss in some of my pics..LOL

KH5V1136.jpg

KH5V0984.jpg

KH5V0236.jpg

KH5V3239.jpg

KH5V1313.jpg

KH5V1352.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

there..I just made this even more off the wall

They are out of focus because you suck. That is how.

Yeah right man everyone knows the shots are not out of focus, like I said of course you would not admit my shots are good no matter what.

Wow you have grown a few zoas......Try growing dozens of SPS colonies lol.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a good shot of a fish like an anthia with the flash off? Of course not because you dont seem to have any fish.

I'm just about done here, I have proven my point, you are not making any points for your arguement other than "your photos suck blah blah blah". This isnt about who is a better photog, its who makes a better camera, even though my shots are better than yours.

Bug shots are easy, you have a ton of light and you can shoot from any angle. You have to shoot straight through glass which effects how the light reflects off the subject, and you have to compensate for the lighting. You pics prove nothing other than you take pictures outside with an out of date system, and that you are an unaccomplished reefer.

You have admitted that your camera is out of date, and has an inferior sensor compared to what the canons have. You have also been embarassed by your crappy tank, and yur crappy attitude. Hahahahahaha FAIL!

I like the pic of the guy breathing fire and the jets!

I think the biggest thing to mention is that we're comparing the two bottom end cameras for the respective brands

canons top camera, what is it 1DmkIIIIIIv6.0? is better than nikons, but that's not what this OP is in the market for

Im not going to say the D40 is a camera for the ages, but it has great IQ for the price (maybe the xsi does too, but like Ive shot one)

post processing is not any indication of photographic quality, IMO photography is an art, and how you present your art is your decision....SDT personally prefers a more raw representation in her art, while the other guy prefers a more saturated and colorful view....

I think important aspects of photography are the composition and art side, so both of you can create great photographs regardless of the level of post processing

most importantly to this thread, IMO is this point:

bodies come and go every few years, I think glass is the important thing to talk about here

Nikon and Canon both have excellent glass, and for someone considering a camera that is under $600 I think they will be more than happy with the selection of glass available to them with either brand (its not like he's going to be buying the 400 f/2.8 at the same time as his camera)

this also brings me to the D40s autofocus downfall (which I dont think is that big of a downfall)...the fact that the D40 needs AFS or AFI lenses shouldn't be considered a downside, it is simply a restriction to get [iMO] nicer lenses, since most of the higher end lenses are AF-S anyways

unfortunately for the OP, the thread was hijacked by some people on soapboxes (myself included) and his concerns were not addressed

so with saying that,

OP - you need to go to the store and hold them and see which is more comfortable in your hands, see which one fits your hand and fingers the best, see which one has easier menus for you to navigate

do some googling and look at pics others have taken with it (be sure to consider what glass was on the camera, a D40 + 400 f/2.8 will look awesome and not representative of normal)

look at lenses each company offers and see which ones will fit your budget better...I assume you'll want a macro lens, nikons most popular macro is about $700, so that is something to consider, again I don't know anything about canon

edit: DAMN 05, I always love your pictures

SDT : are you really suggesting that people buy new bodies every time new technology comes out? come on...........

Great post latazyo!

SDT : are you really suggesting that people buy new bodies every time new technology comes out? come on...........

No, I own an old azz XT, but I have had it for years. Doesnt mean that if you are buying a new camera that some are not better than others. I really wish I had a 40d or a 50d.

I really like the xsi in this case though because of the zoom function in live view, it really is the perfect feature for macro shots! The 40d, new 50d, and XS all has this as well.

SaltWaterNewb

Not embarrassed by my tank because I don't care about it. If I put a bunch of work in to it or a bunch of money in to it then maybe I would be, but I have not so I am not. No fish by choice. No SPS by choice.

And you are wrong. If you posted a few pictures that were good I would tell you they looked good. But the ones you have up are not. Maybe bug pictures are easier but the fact is they are still better than anything you have posted. They are good pictures period. That is the point. The photos were taken with a Nikon and they are good. It does not matter if they were easy or hard to take. That is all relative to the skill of the picture taker, not the camera. Fact is my camera produced nice photos whether they were outside in the sun or inside in a fish tank. That is all the proof I need to show that Nikon is not crap like you seem to think. I will say it here as I have said it many other times, Canon is a very good camera. I own a P&S Canon. I just prefer Nikon. I do not say that Nikon is better, but I also don't bash Canon because I don't like them in threads when people are asking for help choosing a new camera.

summers.enemy

A D200 is a fine camera, as is a 30D. I know PROFESSIONAL photographers would grabbed up several bodies of each before the newer models came out because they are good cameras that were now freaky cheap. Does that mean they are out of date? Sure. But how on earth does that really matter? It doesn't, it's the results that matter. If your client is pleased then you've done your job and whether or not you have the latest and greatest doesn't matter for squat.

I also love how having a better fish tank makes someone a better photographer LOL! Do we all think that these arguments are somehow going to deter someone from buying a Nikon or Canon? Because I'm willing to bet all it does is make some of us look like retards.

Random pic following in O5x foot steps:

bfly-1.jpg

I wanted to pick out a crappy one, but I do love my butterflies. And yep, you guessed it, that picture came from something "out of date" and "sucky".

that is what alot of people do..Kinda ALOT more common then one thinks.

As for on topic..I would go with the XSi anyday over the D40, 9 AF point system with center cross point and MUCH faster then the little 3 point in the D40. You have no ability to do bracket shooting on the D40, Next only Lenses with internal motors will AF on the D40, in the XSi any lens made for the EOS mount will AF and not have to worry about hat issue. XSi has live view for macro shooting, I would bet the high ISO performance is a bit better on the XSi as well. Nikon was pretty poor on high ISO until they released the D300 and newer..anything before that wasnt the best. There is also the Canon Rebel XS..its a little cheaper then the XSi and has alot of the same features but a 2.5" LCD and 7 point AF system

SaltWaterNewb

No, I own an old azz XT, but I have had it for years. Doesnt mean that if you are buying a new camera that some are not better than others. I really wish I had a 40d or a 50d.

That is awesome because this entire time you have been basing your whole argument on the fact that my camera is "old and out of date".

Do we all think that these arguments are somehow going to deter someone from buying a Nikon or Canon?

No, not at all. The fact that in the models in question, there are several things that make the canon better than the nikon, and that someone knows this and isnt afraid to share this because of the nikon posse will.

So if one camera is better than another, and that is what this person is asking about, why wouldnt you tell them?......Because you own the brand that in this case is inferior. I dont get why you think it is wrong for someone to talk about this, other than the fact you own the brand in question.

That is awesome because this entire time you have been basing your whole argument on the fact that my camera is "old and out of date".

Once again I never said my camera wasnt, but I have also owned my camera for three years! I bought it new, you bought yours way out of date.

From earlier in the thread...

I have an xt and the xsi makes me want to throw it at the wall!

I dont get why you keep arguing..I mean geeze drop it already. I argue once in a while but I never go this far..there is NOTHING to be proven between what either of you have said other then to just bash each other back and forth

SaltWaterNewb
that is what alot of people do..Kinda ALOT more common then one thinks.

As for on topic..I would go with the XSi anyday over the D40, 9 AF point system with center cross point and MUCH faster then the little 3 point in the D40. You have no ability to do bracket shooting on the D40, Next only Lenses with internal motors will AF on the D40, in the XSi any lens made for the EOS mount will AF and not have to worry about hat issue. XSi has live view for macro shooting, I would bet the high ISO performance is a bit better on the XSi as well. Nikon was pretty poor on high ISO until they released the D300 and newer..anything before that wasnt the best. There is also the Canon Rebel XS..its a little cheaper then the XSi and has alot of the same features but a 2.5" LCD and 7 point AF system

Actually the D50 which is not made any more has very good high ISO performance, possibly even a little better than the D300. I won't say that Nikon does lack in this area though. To get high performance in high ISO you almost do have to go with a D3. Not sure if this was addressed with the new D90 or D700. I have not read up much on either of these cameras.

I dont get why you keep arguing..I mean geeze drop it already. I argue once in a while but I never go this far..there is NOTHING to be proven between what either of you have said other then to just bash each other back and forth

Because it's fun.

I was just talking about cameras, but once someone makes it personal they deserve what they get.

He owns a Nikon, and will obviously cry a river if someone says it isnt great, or anything might be better. He just wanted to make this a personal argument all along, and he lost with his crappy tank and lame corals. Go take some pics of bugs man, join a bug forum while you are at it because you have no reason to be here with that tank lol.

SaltWaterNewb
No, not at all. The fact that in the models in question, there are several things that make the canon better than the nikon, and that someone knows this and isnt afraid to share this because of the nikon posse will.

So if one camera is better than another, and that is what this person is asking about, why wouldnt you tell them?......Because you own the brand that in this case is inferior. I dont get why you think it is wrong for someone to talk about this, other than the fact you own the brand in question.

If you would have just said that and included why you thought that Canon was better then Nikon there would have never been an issue. But to say that Nikon "suckz" and have "crappy quality", that is uncalled for. That is why I blew a gasket. Because that is garbage and totally not true. I am not saying that Canon is possibly a better camera maker and Nikon has some catching up to do but Nikon is still a good camera choice for anyone that owns one.

summers.enemy

I own both brands of cameras which is why I'm sitting here saying that from my stand point....THEY ARE BOTH FINE!

SaltWaterNewb
I was just talking about cameras, but once someone makes it personal they deserve what they get.

He owns a Nikon, and will obviously cry a river if someone says it isnt great, or anything might be better. He just wanted to make this a personal argument all along, and he lost with his crappy tank and lame corals. Go take some pics of bugs man, join a bug forum while you are at it because you have no reason to be here with that tank lol.

Who cares about the tanks? Obviously you base yourself on your tank. If your tank is better then that means you are better. Get over yourself. I just don't care about mine at this point in time.

Dude I have seen the broken cameras with jammed shutters. They are a year or more behind canon and flailing to catch up. Thier point and shoot cameras are horrible....Slow recycle times, horrible color representation, all using AA batteries until recently, obviously you know this becuase you own a canon.

I feel very correct saying Nikon has major issues. Like I said, if they were a new up and coming company they would never make it.

I own both brands of cameras which is why I'm sitting here saying that from my stand point....THEY ARE BOTH FINE!

"Fine" means they work, but that doent mean one is superior and easier to use than another.

I just don't care about mine at this point in time.

Then get out of the hobby and leave this forum.

SDT, I couldnt use PS if my life depended on it. I do use faststone and I do post edit my pics so that they dont look like yours when I post them. You know, crop them, resize them, sharpen them back up a bit after the resize... is that considered PS'd?

By the way, those PS'd Kaleidoscopes??

Kaleidosopes.jpg

I couldnt make those colors... unfortunately they shifted on me. If you dont believe that those are real, check out this link... http://www.rarezoanthids.com/kaleidoscope

The point is, Ms. Icon, is that for all of the trash you are talking on Nikon and considering your years of experience at Circuit City, you have FAILED to post ONE picture that impresses me. Yes, your pictures are out of focus, yes your pics have been dominated by many Nikons in this thread (and even my <$300 Panny P&S, and yes you should try to learn how to be less of a stuck-up #####. YOU LOSE and every time you open your "model" mouth you FAIL.

Face it.

Jesse

Archived