Innovative Marine Aquariums

Canon XSi or Nikon d40

cuboy

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dahliaheartsyou

save a couple hundred and get the XTi, I have it with the original lens, and a 75-300 mm and love it, and I'm getting a macro lens kit soon. The hiked up price of the XSi isn't worth it IMO.

=]

I'm still really wanting the XTi... I just need a DSLR period. :(

Honestly though I'd say it preferance of if you like Nikon, or Canon more between the two mentioned. But I'd agree with Dahlia that the XTi might be a better choice to the XSi...

save a couple hundred and get the XTi, I have it with the original lens, and a 75-300 mm and love it, and I'm getting a macro lens kit soon. The hiked up price of the XSi isn't worth it IMO.

=]

lots of improvements over xti:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012404...450dhandson.asp

price comp from amazon:

rebel xti: 609.95

rebel xsi: 640.00

-both with 18-55m kit lens

WELL worth the extra 30 bucks. Even if you can find it cheaper elsewhere, it's not that big a price jump that extra features and improvements aren't worth it.

I'd suggest lookin through places like www.dpreview.com for their reviews and hit up the best buy and try out both of them. Make sure you like the feel before you buy. Nikon and Canon are both great companies, of course, and there are plenty of lenses to fit either of those cameras. Can't go wrong with either one.

I'm still really wanting the XTi... I just need a DSLR period. :(

Honestly though I'd say it preferance of if you like Nikon, or Canon more between the two mentioned. But I'd agree with Dahlia that the XTi might be a better choice to the XSi...

Unless you have big hands.

The XSI is the way to go with tank shots, best SLR for it I have seen! I guess you could say the XS and 40d have it as well.

There is this awesome zoom function in the live veiw mode that lets you digitally zoom way in to make sure your in focus BEFORE you shoot....In other words, no more taking 5 pictures and then having to review them and zoom in to see whats in focus.......It is really THE FEATURE to have for macro photography.

Try it, go to a CC or a BB and put it on live view, any mode besides auto, usually "P" is the esiest for those who dont know how to use a SLR, and then press the middle "enter" button for the live view to come on....Then use the zoon in button to zoom in and the center of your frame, you can then see the actualy focus before you shoot, no more quessing!

I have an xt and the xsi makes me want to throw it at the wall.

Ohh yeah, no matter what, DO NOT get nikon with thier puny CCD sensors and crappy manufacturing quality. Canon rules, Nikon suckz. Even the newer nikons like the d300 still use a SONY sensor lol......They have so little money to spend on R & D that they are buying parts from their competition lol.

The XTi takes great pics, but it still gets defeated by the zoom feature on the live view that you get with the XSi or XS.

I am all aboyut eazy now a days.....I just cleaned 1500 tank pics off my hard drive!

If you know the close focus distance of your lens and you are using the correct aperture you shouldn't have any questions about whether or not a photo will be in focus. The live view mostly gets in the way, lending the same false sense of security that it does with P&S cameras, imo.

I agree Jer 100%, I hate live veiw EXCEPT for this function! I could make you a believer with a 100mm macro lens and some corals after a few shots....its just so easy.

Plus when you are shooting coral pics for a retail website, you need a small DOF to take pictures of corals clos,e far, and then in the middle of the tank. You have to make it pop and everything else be blurry.....This is an AWESOME tool for this, I promise you!

Ohh yeah, no matter what, DO NOT get nikon with thier puny CCD sensors and crappy manufacturing quality. Canon rules, Nikon suckz. Even the newer nikons like the d300 still use a SONY sensor lol......They have so little money to spend on R & D that they are buying parts from their competition lol.

lol

false

I just tried "P" mode.

I have no idea what it means, but it blew my mind.

In case you can't tell, I have no idea what I'm doing. I bought a rebel w/a tamron macro lens and the standard kit lens for $225 the other day, I couldn't pass it up.

lol

false

Whats false about that? Please prove me wrong, or I can prove you wrong if you like.

Nikon uses old technology, CCD sensors.....And the new Nikons with CMOS sensors are SONY made sensors. Pathetic!

Their point and shoot cameras are even worse. Nikon needs to hurry up and go out of business.

I'd have to agree there. I've been an avid Canon fan for several years now though. But I LOVE my 70's era Nikon Nikkormat 35mm. B)

SaltWaterNewb

Your a retard. I can put out pictures with my Nikon that are just as good as anything a Canon can put out. So go take off some clothes and pose for some "tank" pics and stop camera bashing because you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

summers.enemy

We used to use an xti at work, and it was ok. Consistent performance and good with what we used it for. Then my boss (always has to have the newest of the new :rolleyes: ) switched us to the xsi, and we are not happy. Used in the exact same manner and settings as the xti, the photos coming out of the xsi are looking pretty crappy.

I brought in my Nikon D300 to prove a point. We shot same settings, side by side with all three cameras. The pictures were labeled on the back so no one knew who shot what. My camera won 80% of the votes from everyone at work. Which I expected, because it's higher end. But side by side, the xti was definitely the second best photos. xsi is just crappy for some reason.

.Your a retard. I can put out pictures with my Nikon that are just as good as anything a Canon can put out. So go take off some clothes and pose for some "tank" pics and stop camera bashing because you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Dang take your camera a little personally huh? I know exactly what I am talking about. You put out some great pics huh? I will take tank shots with a 4mp camera that make yours look pathetic.

I have used some of the nicest nikons out, d2x's, d3's, d300s....I have also used 40d's, 5d's and 1d's. I know a lot about cameras and how they actually work. Before modeling and working at the reef shop I used to work at circuit city selling dslrs.

Any dslr can produce a similar image, its how much effort it takes you that counts.

The CMOS sensor in the Canons has a connection at each photosite on the sensor. This allows the camera to manipulate the data at each sensor, allowing it to react to light changes much better, IMO it makes getting the white balance of stuff liek tanks with funky colors much easier. The CMOS sensor is also a lot faster, thus the 6.5 and 7 fps rates you are seeign in new cameras.

The CCD sensor that nikon makes is out of date. Each photosite on a CCD sensor is connected to a processor on the side of the chip, which after each shot all the data has to be swept off the sensor to the chip, then converted from ANALOG to digital, and saved to the memory card. This takes much longer from shot to shot, thus you only get a 3.5 fps rate at a maximum.

The d300's CMOS sensor is made by SONY. Why cant Nikon produce their own sensor? Also, the shutter system in the d300 is still one designed for a CCD sensor, and from what I have seen this causes some d300s shutters to lock up in the continous high speed more, or "Ch" mode.

Of course you d300 will out perform a XSi, but a 40D will out perform or match your d300 for $1000 less. Hands down, and XSi will beat any d40, d60, d80 or d90.

In the time I sold cameras I saw more than double the amount of nikon dslrs come back with issues than canons.

NOW, on to the point and shoot cameras. The coolpix series has been far behind the elph series for many years. Canons digic processors were MUCH faster than any nikons, you have to love the little hour glass symbol you get with the coolpix between each shot, even when using ultra II or extreme III memory lol. I can take three pictures with my canon point and shoot, a sd 630, in the time it would take someone with a new s550 or something similar to take one picture.

Also, color representation in the coolpix series is a joke, the canons produce a much more realistic looking image than the nikons. Also canos stablized is much better. And last but not least, very important to us reefers, the canon has much better macro capabilitys.

Canons only real competition right now is sony. Nikon has potential but I only call it like I see it, they need to up their game big time!

SaltWaterNewb
Dang take your camera a little personally huh? I know exactly what I am talking about. You put out some great pics huh? I will take tank shots with a 4mp camera that make yours look pathetic.

I seriously doubt that. Besides, being the camera expert that you are you should know that mega pixels don't mean sh*t unless the picture is being blown up so why even bring that up.

It is one thing to constructively criticize a camera but to say don't buy that because it "suckz"? Stupid. You can say what you want but Nikon does NOT suckz.

I seriously doubt that. Besides, being the camera expert that you are you should know that mega pixels don't mean sh*t unless the picture is being blown up so why even bring that up.

It is one thing to constructively criticize a camera but to say don't buy that because it "suckz"? Stupid. You can say what you want but Nikon does NOT suckz.

You didnt address one single point I brought up as to why canon is better than nikon. I am not just saying it sucks, I am proving it lol.

Your right MP's dont mean anything the sensor does, and my 4mp camera has a CMOS sensor, something your Nikon is lacking.

"I cant prove it but say what you want but nikon doesnt suck!"

Hahahaha I bet your name on photography forums is PhotographyNewb lol! :lol:

I seriously doubt that.

Well then throw up some pics ehh?

Before modeling and working at the reef shop I used to work at circuit city selling dslrs.

Isn't that like saying I worked in the fish department at Petco?

I mean I used to try to go to store like circuit city and best buy hoping to get good info but found (after wasting some money on in-store sales reps reco's) that I'd of been much better off doing my own due dillegence.

Seriously See Dem - I'm not saying you don't know cameras - you probably know more then I do.

I have a Canon D30, I was raised on Canon and it's what I'm comfortable with. I had a hard time with the size and feal of the Nikon and was turned off by it before I ever got that far into the specs.

I was also sold on the canon once I saw some pictures posted here using a canon w/ the 100m macro lens. They where simply amazing.

Isn't that like saying I worked in the fish department at Petco?

I mean I used to try to go to store like circuit city and best buy hoping to get good info but found (after wasting some money on in-store sales reps reco's) that I'd of been much better off doing my own due dillegence.

Yea...Any advice you get from Circuit City, Best Buy and Ritz is usually PURE garbage and they dont know the difference between point and shoots and DSLR most of the time. The only usefullness of those stores is just to be able to hold it in your hands first. Dont even let the wanna be sales person try to open their mouth about anything cause 90% time you will leave with false info and even more confused and less knowledgeable. Well I think that goes for any department in those stores as well.

This nano reef board is rough :D

Rough?

Maybe.. .but all done with the best of intentions and results in mind.

In the end everyone is pretty cool.

Archived