Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nanoty's 10g AGA [Contest tank]

nanoty

Sweet. I'm tagging along.

I might have to rip the trim of my 20 long when I get it. Been planning since March so it better be good.

But back to yours:

Glad you went with the clear, its hard to get an even looking black DIY silicone seal. Since the black is easier to see your mistakes. GL on the siliconing.

I vote for black background painted. The frosted glass thing actually sounds BA.

Looking forward to more pics and a completed tank.

Thanks, I HOPE to have water in it by the end of the weekend if all my stuff shows this week. Its going to be close.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just got a subcurrent filter on sale of DF&S when i ordered some salt. i'm debating whether or not to start a contest tank. i'm broke, but i have a lot of sand, rock, and pumps left over from my 30g build. if i do set one up, it will probably be a mushroom/zoa/macro tank and i'll just use the old water from my 30g for water changes every week (since none of the coral would need super-clean water). the only think i don't have is lights. there's no way i could match your tank, but it would be fun anyway...

i just got a subcurrent filter on sale of DF&S when i ordered some salt. i'm debating whether or not to start a contest tank. i'm broke, but i have a lot of sand, rock, and pumps left over from my 30g build. if i do set one up, it will probably be a mushroom/zoa/macro tank and i'll just use the old water from my 30g for water changes every week (since none of the coral would need super-clean water). the only think i don't have is lights. there's no way i could match your tank, but it would be fun anyway...

You could match my tank easily, just take it apart and throw it in the laundry room......... :mellow:

You could match my tank easily, just take it apart and throw it in the laundry room......... :mellow:

if i do a tank, its gonna have a spray-painted neon pink background. seriously.

Sounds like this tank is gonna kick a## Ty cant wait to see it when you get it together. Now im thinkin about doin a diy 24in x 24in x 24in glass cube tank with black silicone damnit my tank isnt even done cycling and im lookin to upgrade lol.

Casey

. Now im thinkin about doin a diy 24in x 24in x 24in glass cube tank with black silicone damnit my tank isnt even done cycling and im lookin to upgrade lol.

Casey

Welcome to reefing ;)

Thanks BTW

Sounds like this tank is gonna kick a## Ty cant wait to see it when you get it together. Now im thinkin about doin a diy 24in x 24in x 24in glass cube tank with black silicone damnit my tank isnt even done cycling and im lookin to upgrade lol.

Casey

you and Ty are going to get along great!!!

Ok. So I just took a spare 10 gallon that I had and tried to remove the trim. I cut my hand once and said oh well it happens and kept removing it. Then, me being dumb, I cut towards myself on this one and cut the fudge out my thumb. So I have given up with 1/2 of the bottom removed =)

I have no idea how you did yours so well....

Ok. So I just took a spare 10 gallon that I had and tried to remove the trim. I cut my hand once and said oh well it happens and kept removing it. Then, me being dumb, I cut towards myself on this one and cut the fudge out my thumb. So I have given up with 1/2 of the bottom removed =)

Probably cut away from his body ;) .

Lots of super sharp razors. First you cut under the rim as far as you can all the way around on both sides to separate the silicone. Then I cut up the corners so I could peel the trip up and along the side. Usually just one side of the trim would come off leaving the top and other side. I would then between the top and glass where the majority of the silicone it.

I used this for reference but the instructions were not the best. It might help you out. Removing trim.

Good luck

I just finished it today. It worked a lot better when I used a proper razor blade and did it properly haha.

So now all the trim is off, working on scraping the silicone.

NanoReefer112

WOW awesome job on removing the trim looks great i cant wait to see what your gonna do to it. I'll be tagging along for the ride :)

I just finished it today. It worked a lot better when I used a proper razor blade and did it properly haha.

So now all the trim is off, working on scraping the silicone.

Here is my tip for that. Buy a huge pack of razor blades and change them out very often, I mean like one or two per edge. The work 100x better brand new. Also, hold them at a 45deg angle, it seems like too much but you will get more of the silicone film off.

WOW awesome job on removing the trim looks great i cant wait to see what your gonna do to it. I'll be tagging along for the ride :)

Thanks a lot. I will post pics of me putting it back together when I get my stuff itn.

Sorry for the jack bro:

I took your advice on the new blades and it worked great. The glass is pretty much spotless now. Did a leak test and it is good!

Putting flourite in it tomorrow. Also looking for a light that I can fit on to a rimless 10G and CO2 setup.

Sorry for the jack bro:

I took your advice on the new blades and it worked great. The glass is pretty much spotless now. Did a leak test and it is good!

Putting flourite in it tomorrow. Also looking for a light that I can fit on to a rimless 10G and CO2 setup.

No apology necessary. Thats great about your tank. I know a lot of fixtures have adjustable legs but not sure which ones. Got a pic?

Here it is. With a small layer of flourite. I plan on getting Eco-Complete and finishing the setup on the 18th.

In the mean-time I am looking for a light, small powerhead, and CO2 setup.

post-34891-1223601562_thumb.jpg

Here it is. With a small layer of flourite. I plan on getting Eco-Complete and finishing the setup on the 18th.

In the mean-time I am looking for a light, small powerhead, and CO2 setup.

sorry to further deviate your thread Ty....

but nice job takin the rims of to the both of you. they both look awesome. but i think Ty's is a "little" more innovative... *pismo love's lame pun's* :D

Nice! Looks like you did a good job of lining everything up straight. :)

It was a HUGE pain in the ass and I don't ever see myself doing this again but at least it came out ok. My wife helped hold stuff while I was making sure it was lined up. I sure hope it doesnt explode when I put water in it :huh:

Archived