Pod Your Reef

Nanoty's 10g AGA [Contest tank]

nanoty

Paint it unless it gonna be veiwed from all sides...I had a a tank in front of wood paneling...that didn't last long before I put a black vinyl background on it since I couldn't move it to paint lol

Tank looks awesome so far!

Thanks, I am leaning towards paint.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pismo_reefer

that ###### looks pro! i vote for all clear, no paint. i love the look of it. a7.5 gallon shallow tank...beatiful!

pismo_reefer
hot pink or hot orange spray paint!

+2!!!!! hot pink f****n spraypaint!!!! then take a plastic bag and marble-ize it!!! :lol:

+2!!!!! hot pink f****n spraypaint!!!! then take a plastic bag and marble-ize it!!! :lol:

lol.....imagine that bad boy under actinics!!! hawt!!!

You guys are freaking hilarious. :lol: I'm thinking a black background might hide some of my crappy siliconing skills. Honestly, this is way too much work for a 10g tank, lol. I better win something damnit! :happy:

Btw, it looks great man. It doesn't even resemble a $10 Petco tank anymore.

Thanks Glenn, it's been a lot of work, a lot of time on the floor switching out razorblades every few minutes scraping silicone. I hope my re-siliconing skills are up to par, I think I am too far in to bail out now, lol.

Thanks Glenn, it's been a lot of work, a lot of time on the floor switching out razorblades every few minutes scraping silicone. I hope my re-siliconing skills are up to par, I think I am too far in to bail out now, lol.

I'd say so! I think you may actually win something with this one. Re-siliconing it shouldn't be all that bad, especially since you cut it down a bit. It will be easier to get into the bottom corners with the sides shorter.

Btw, I forgot to tell you about the look on the post office guys' face when I shoved the little ziplock bag full of green stuff into one of those little padded envelopes. It was pretty damn funny. I think he thought I was mailing weed. So, you may, or may not get that package afterall. He looked like he might have been a smoker!

I'd say so! I think you may actually win something with this one. Re-siliconing it shouldn't be all that bad, especially since you cut it down a bit. It will be easier to get into the bottom corners with the sides shorter.

We'll see. I think I am going to go with clear and not try my hand at black although I like the look of a good black siliconed tank. I am ordering another holesaw, silicone, bulkheads and lockline tomorrow.

We'll see. I think I am going to go with clear and not try my hand at black although I like the look of a good black siliconed tank. I am ordering another holesaw, silicone, bulkheads and lockline tomorrow.

I like black too, but on a rimless tank I think clear is the way to go.

dapellegrini

Elos does some very nice rimless tanks with black silicone, where as ADA uses clear. Both can work out very well, depends on the rest of the setup. Painting the back also depends on what you are looking for. FWIW, I have put a couple of self-adhesive black backings on my tanks, including my large ADA FW tank, and I am not sure if I like it... the big pro is that you don't have to keep it super clean. The con is that it takes away a little of the depth.

This is a cool build you have going and I see what you are trying to do with your aquascape. When you put the LR in there, try and make fingers come off from the bigger rocks - this will give you a nicer looking scape. Put all 5 fingers on a table and push down, so that your finger tips bend outwards a little... this sloping finger like extrusions that draw down to your substrate really help join the sand and the rock... I hope that makes sense. Then you want to do a 3:2 split with the larger mound on one side and the smaller mound on the other. Google golden ratio and you should fine plenty of food for thought.

Here's to hoping it holds water! fingerscrossed

Yeah you lost me at "Elos does......."

I just wanted something a little different. I really think I am going to paint the tank mainly to give me some leeway with keeping it clean and to hide the hideous wall paneling.

I am waiting on the stuff to put this thing back together, I have never siliconed a tank together so here is hoping it holds water AND doesn't look like a retarted orangutan did it.

Wow this is really cool cant wait to see it with the 70w over it!

I'm trying, I'm trying -_-

Duct tape background FTW!

Hey your back from Vegas/AA meeting/Greenland/Breast reduction surgery.

Just ordered:

1/2" bulkhead

3/4" bulkhead

Holesaw for 1/2" bulkhead

1/2" linelock segments

"" splitter

"" round nozzles

Aquamed clear silicone (couldn't talk myself into the black)

Sweet. I'm tagging along.

I might have to rip the trim of my 20 long when I get it. Been planning since March so it better be good.

But back to yours:

Glad you went with the clear, its hard to get an even looking black DIY silicone seal. Since the black is easier to see your mistakes. GL on the siliconing.

I vote for black background painted. The frosted glass thing actually sounds BA.

Looking forward to more pics and a completed tank.

Archived