Cultivated Reef

NRF's Simple Wonders 5.5

Needreefunds

:lol: Why not, he has all the other cool stuffs too.

Thanks D. And Thanks for helping Weets with running the contest. ;)

Added a few pics and edits to "final" post.

Pg 18 :)

eh, i'm just the random Mr Coral-esque cheerleader who steps in while Wee is busy ;)

gonna need a break after this - all the yellin is gettin to me :wacko:

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds
hey needreefunds - amazing tank. pics on page 18 are now my envy. Everything but the black sand... ;)

Thanks John.

Yea, I know.... black sand.... * facepalm* A poor choice on many levels.

Been thinking about a slow transfer. Wouldn't be too hard to do, its so light it'll come right out with WC's if I let it.

We shall see.

Thanks John.

Yea, I know.... black sand.... * facepalm* A poor choice on many levels.

Been thinking about a slow transfer. Wouldn't be too hard to do, its so light it'll come right out with WC's if I let it.

We shall see.

What is wrong with black sand? :unsure:

Considering I just filled my tank with the stuff this is a question I would really like to the know the answer to.

Needreefunds
What is wrong with black sand? :unsure:

Considering I just filled my tank with the stuff this is a question I would really like to the know the answer to.

Well, I suppose some did not care for it because this tank is filled with Florida live rock and the black sand looks unnatural and somewhat out of place.

In my opinion, while it looks awesome at first, it looks dirty shortly thereafter. No matter how much you clean, it will never look near as good as day one.

The worst part for me was there are tiny magnetic particles in the mix that foul your mag cleaner the first time you try to use it. It has been hand cleaning with pads, scrapers etc ever since that first time since I did not wanting to risk scratching the tank.

HTH

Needreefunds
:(

I guess I'll just try to enjoy the clean blackness of it while can.

In my situation, it could also be the way I set this tank up. In my efforts to save as much life as I could I did not "clean" the live rock as well as most would. This got a quick swish and in the tank it went IIRC.

I had seen other tanks with black sand an the contrast of coral color and the black sand looks awesome IMO.

Perhaps if I were more diligent in my efforts to keep the sand clean initially it would not be as bad. But so much white sand and other light colored particulate matter has come out of the rock through critter activity that at this point the sand appears almost gray.

Very nice looking tank and a lot of life.

Good job.

Adolfo

Thanks Adolfo! :)

I am the Natures Ocean black beach live sand in my AP24 supposed to be a grayish color and is actual live sand :)

reminds meh of the beach in Punta Arenas Costa Rica :D Volcanic beach sand...they should bag dat stuff

I also had bad luck with the tahitian moon sand..I mixed it :rolleyes: with my Seachems live black beach sand in my 40 long...scratched da crappola outta it

I had problems with tahitian moon sand as well, I put it in my freshwater and it immediately seemed to fade to a light light grey. It also got stuck in my filters alot.

Needreefunds
I am the Natures Ocean black beach live sand in my AP24 supposed to be a grayish color and is actual live sand :)

reminds meh of the beach in Punta Arenas Costa Rica :D Volcanic beach sand...they should bag dat stuff

I also had bad luck with the tahitian moon sand..I mixed it :rolleyes: with my Seachems live black beach sand in my 40 long...scratched da crappola outta it

I had problems with tahitian moon sand as well, I put it in my freshwater and it immediately seemed to fade to a light light grey. It also got stuck in my filters alot.

Yuppers, scratches big time and its pretty light too.

So cool looking when you first start that tank up tho init??

:P

Oh welz, live -n- learn. :)

Deleted User 6

Richie - my rocks are starting to come alive :)

I'm thinking maybe we could do an algae swap once my tank gets a bit more underway and I find out what algae I actually have. Maybe we could trade some algae "frags". Also, please tell me you're planning to keep this tank going for a while ;) Congrats on the category win - best macro algae indeed.

Needreefunds
The progression shots look awesome. This tank was a great idea and well done!

Thanks Brett!

Richie - my rocks are starting to come alive :)

I'm thinking maybe we could do an algae swap once my tank gets a bit more underway and I find out what algae I actually have. Maybe we could trade some algae "frags". Also, please tell me you're planning to keep this tank going for a while ;) Congrats on the category win - best macro algae indeed.

Thanks buddy, I would bet you will have pretty much the same as me, but we shall see. :P

I hope to keep it going as long as it "wants" too :lol:

Hopefully my good fortune with this tank continues, it is cool to stare at every now and then. Lots going on in there.

I'm glad you are happy with yur rocks. ;):lol:

Needreefunds

So bummed. I think I lost the pom-pom crab I got from rehype. :tears:

Looked too complete to be a molt. No nems on the claws, but when the crab dies, so too the nems yes?

Was such pretty crabby

0081.jpg

0091.jpg

0061.jpg

Pencil is getting big huh?

I had a Pom Pom for well over a year. Would not see it much, they are great at hiding. Mine became crab dinner to my Mystery Wrasse I think, as did my peppermint shrimp I think. Give it time he may pop back up when you least expect it. The reason you don't see the nems is perhaps because they are on him still.

Needreefunds

Thanks guys.

Was very good at hiding. Like you said weeks would go by. I would look hard and spot an arm, leg, nem and be happy with that.

If is is a molt it would be the first I found since I have had it. The body was very intact though. I figured the nems would still be with the crab....but then thought that was wishful thinking.

I'll let ya know if there is a sighting. And I truly do hope so. :(

Needreefunds
no pom pom still?

:tears:

no...and thanks for bringing up such a painful memory. :angry:

Why don't you just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

( can ya name the movie ^^^ ?? ) :huh:

I pulled the filter out this weekend for cleaning and even had the top rock out. That was the usual hiding spot so I no longer have high hopes. I really miss the little fella.

:tears:

no...and thanks for bringing up such a painful memory. :angry:

Why don't you just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

( can ya name the movie ^^^ ?? ) :huh:

I pulled the filter out this weekend for cleaning and even had the top rock out. That was the usual hiding spot so I no longer have high hopes. I really miss the little fella.

How could anyone not recognize that line from Princess Bride. I heard it waaaayyy more than I wanted because my Princess loved it. I am soooo sorry you lost your pom pom. I loved seeing it since I don't have one.

Speaking of Princesses, I hope your Princess is back to normal.

Needreefunds
How could anyone not recognize that line from Princess Bride. I heard it waaaayyy more than I wanted because my Princess loved it. I am soooo sorry you lost your pom pom. I loved seeing it since I don't have one.

Speaking of Princesses, I hope your Princess is back to normal.

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Great silly movie! :lol:

Nice job Susan!

My Princess is doing OK. Thanks for asking. But that is not a nice place to deal with stitches ! Ouch!

And, I am happy to post these .....

002-18.jpg

003-18.jpg

004-17.jpg

:wub::o:happydance:omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

Look who was hiding all that time!!!!!! I am shocked, really. That molt was the most complete I have ever seen. So happy I was wrong. :P

and while I'm here.

005-16.jpg

006-18.jpg

:)

Archived