inTank Media Baskets

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

1. Change CFL or T5 bulbs every THREE MONTHS!

Another great reason to run this equipment!

Now you have the privilege of changing your lamps at a rate 2-3x faster! That means you get to spend 2-3x the money :bling: :bling: :bling: you would spend growing a regular macroalgae!

This is great. :lol: So now you are promoting a piece of equipment that is fugly, needs to be cleaned every three days and now has lighting that costs 2-3x more than a regular macroalgae bed.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a lot more research into this technique over the last few weeks than I really care to admit, and finally realize that while it may have the potential to work in certain limited situations, the reason you see so many really ugly setups is because it is very difficult to set one up that isn't a fire hazard. SM has set up a forum for promoting the ATS and they all looked like fire hazards and were basically cyano farms.

And the same old complaints as you see here. Get the light a safe distance away and it's too far. Get it to close and "FLASH" "BOOM" electrical fire.

I think this should be moved to somewhere where the new members won't see it.

Edit: Lol @ Lajz9 :)

This thread isn't a help to anyone.

I've seen this on like 6 other sites so far, why are you working so hard to sell free information?

I like reading the replies to SM's ATS on the other sites to gauge the difference in the members from one site to another.

We are much less forgiving here :-)

I made a couple adjustments to the above image to reflect the accuracy of the research:

3853303573_3fcdb70f0a.jpg

lol "i'm lovin' it."

I've come to the conclusion that I'm far too lazy to even begin a system like this, not to mention its a horrible eye sore.

Basically it looks like a giant piece of toilet paper that you are hording away, that one that didn't get flushed.

10. Cyano in display: Sometimes, after an algae scrubber has removed most of the nuisance algae in a tank, cyano will grow a bit more. This is normal, because cyano does not eat the same thing that nuisance algae does (thus, the cyano now has less competition). But the cyano will reduce too eventually. The cyano occurs because it has the capability of getting nitrogen directly from the water, without needing Nitrate, Nitrate or Ammonia/Ammonium (which is what algae gets nitrogen from). But as the scrubber continues to filter, the cyano will have a harder and harder time holding on.

That's DOC, baby. Plenty of N and P in your tank that cyano can access directly even if your nitrate and phosphate test kits read zero. Of course turf algae scrubbers do nothing to address this issue.

BLoCkCliMbeR

this again.....still??? :huh:

wombat, fosi, a few others other than myself.....do you really think he still has us blocked?

is it to the point that he is spouting off the same info as he is on other sites just to spite us?

i dont get it........i got kids SantaMonica..... i wouldnt risk a fire hazard such as a ATS......

i always keep at least one small all macroalgae tanks, and they are not even a 1/4 the work your set up is.....

ive read your other post on other sites and some seem to bite at your bullchit....but here its diffrent, smaller water volume, bigger room for error....

all i want is one post that says you hate nano reef and i will leave you alone to post your garbage....

That's DOC, baby.

Don't forget that Mr. Monica doesn't distinguish between DOC and POC.

wombat, fosi, a few others other than myself.....do you really think he still has us blocked?

Probably. He's already shown that he has no affinity for facts and no interest in learning anything.

Success Updates:

Jason1 on the RS site: "I have to tell you, this thing works great. My tank is definitely showing signs of improvement and looks really cleaned up from what it used to. Thank you."

Danno.Thomas on the SWF site: "Have mine up and functional on a 30 gal, that was just changed over from a 20 gal, had zero new algae growth in the DT. Scrubber is working like magic. Small feather dusters abundant. 6 years in the hobby and my tank has never looked more alive. This is my exclusive filtration."

Troythegreat on the 3R site: "i personally think that scrubbers are a Godsend to reefers. IMO scrubbers work much better than skimmers at 1/10th the cost, all you need is a little discipline. I've had my scrubber running on my 75gal for about 7 months without any trace of nitrates or phosphates. I have 2 clowns, 4 damsels and a engineer goby plus many coral. i feed my coral once a day and my fish twice a day.........i clean the scrubber every 5 days and change carbon once a month."

Chadjwil on the scrubber site: "I've been running an algae scrubber on my 55 [for 7 months]. That tank has never had a skimmer or canister or any other filtration in it, ATS since birth! I'm totally loving it, and...due to space restrictions in the stand ... my screen is undersized, and until last week it was under-lit (bare minimum now), and it's still keeping that tank clean and nutrient free. My fish are so healthy looking, more so than all but the best of the LFS within 50 miles, and my shrimpies molt like mad. I used to be a little leary about telling people that I ran an ATS because of all the sideways looks and comments that I got (and I'm sure my wife thought I was crazy too), but over the last few months more and more people have been commenting on how nice our tank looks, and that theirs was full of algae and a pain to clean all the time, we must spend all our time cleaning and screwing with it...now I get a lot of satisfaction telling them that I spend 5 minutes scraping algae off a plastic tank divider every week or so and I'm done. True believer here."

One of the best reefkeepers in the world once told me: "You can say this and say that, but before you say anything: Let's see your tank."

So, where are the tanks? I've seen SM's tank. Not too impressive. Can we see a tank that utilizes SM's philosophy of an ATS with no skimmer?

Update: Deep-Sump Nano's

There are two types of nano's: The one that has a hatch on the top, so you don't have to open the whole lid to get to the filters, and the one without a hatch, where you do have to open the lid. It's this second one (with a deep "sump"), that is the most difficult to put a scrubber into. Indeed, if at all possible, you want to instead make an external scrubber, that sits above the tank:

SumplessFeed.jpg

You can enclose the scrubber with a box, or just use the lid of the bucket, to keep the light in. And actually, since nano's need such small screens, you could just use a coffee can, with the lid, which will block out all light once sealed. Decorate the can like a vase, and it will add to your decor. And use black tubing too so it looks nice. It doesn't need air flow, unless you want evaporation and cooling. Regardless, if you do this design, make sure to use "aquarium-safe" silicon on all electrical connection inside the bucket (including where the bulb screws in), because water and salt will build and short it out.

If, however, there is no possible way to put a scrubber above your nano, then you can install one in the "sump" area if you are good at DIY. It's a tight fit, but it can be done:

Riaanp on the MASA site did this:

UserRiaanpOnMASA-2.jpg

UserRiaanpOnMASA-3.jpg

And Nitschke65 on the SWF site did this:

UserNitschke65onSWF-1.jpg

UserNitschke65onSWF-2.jpg

UserNitschke65onSWF-3.jpg

The idea is to use one of the compartments (probably the middle one) for a waterfall area. For lighting, although Riaanp put the light inside, it's probably best to put the light on the outside (back) of the tank, and scrub off the paint on the backside so that the light can get through to the scrubber screen. The bulb only needs to be one watt for every gallon, so a 13 or 18 watts CFL 3000K is fine.

Fortunately you don't need much screen size for a nano... just 2 square inches (6.25 square cm) for every U.S. gallon (3.8 liters), because the screen is one-sided.

This type of setup is nice because it does not require any cutting of the sump walls, and thus can be converted back easily. Also, there is no real cost... just the screen (2 layers of roughed-up plastic canvas, about $1 USD), and the bulb and socket, probably $7.

UserRiaanpOnMASA-3.jpg

Sigh. I can see the headlines now:

"Local Man Electrocutes Self after following advice from Internet--Hospital lists Condition as Critical."

If this is SOOOO revolutionary why the F isn't anyone mass producing it and putting some $ behind a REAL product that WONT BURN A HOUSE DOWN?? Eh, genius?

if anything, doesn't this replace refugiums and not skimmers? So if I have a protein slick on the surface, this does better than a skimmer because it removes nitrates? :huh:

Help me out Fosi, haven't had a skimmer in awhile and maybe I am forgetting the purpose.

-1 to using a painted coffee can

-1 for clip on lights. dangerous stuff

John,

A major problem here is that Mr. Monica doesn't distinguish between what skimmers and refugia do. He routinely mixes the terms "dissolved" and "particulate" and he also argues that more dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is a good thing.

He would therefore say something like: "A slick on the surface of your water is a good thing since it means that the microbes have plenty of DOC." Of course, a slick doesn't indicate the presence of labile DOC, nor has he shown how more DOC is good for reef tanks. He also fails to distinguish between DOC that is labile (usable) and that which is recalcitrant (not usable) or dangerous (allelopathic).

I'll say again: It isn't a coincidence that the development of skimmers has tracked closely with the ability to keep corals in aquaria. Skimmers have no capacity for adding sludge to a system. By design, they can only remove it. This is not the case for algal scrubbers as seen in this thread.

Skimmers also require a lot less energy, they can be low-profile, they don't look ugly, they aren't inherently dangerous and even a moron can get them to work well enough. None of this can be said for the kind of scrubber that Mr. Monica is promoting.

Additionally, a macro-packed sump/refugium not only looks great and effectively removes dissolved nutrients, it can also put a little $$ back in the pot. By contrast, nobody wants to look at or buy cyano slime scraped off a screen.

I like the pic of Eric's turf scrubber and I would bet it does about as well as my sump/refugium but we don't have any details on that design or the maintenance required. I guarantee that it isn't anything as arduous as Mr. Monica is proposing in this thread.

BLoCkCliMbeR

this is the only site that pretty much shoots SM out of the sky....those poor gullible retards.....if its on the net its gods word right?

If this is SOOOO revolutionary why the F isn't anyone mass producing it and putting some $ behind a REAL product that WONT BURN A HOUSE DOWN?? Eh, genius?

word....ive seen one or two that are "safe", made by a company, and well made.....now that i count....only one...probably a 1990's model from the look of it...id find it and post a pic but why? any hoo, im building a tesla coil for my toddler....that seems safer

Skimmers also require a lot less energy, they can be low-profile, they don't look ugly, they aren't inherently dangerous and even a moron can get them to work well enough. None of this can be said for the kind of scrubber that Mr. Monica is promoting.

and dont spontaniously combust

:angry: hey! what are you gettin at smarty? i resemble that remark....further more i dont think SM appreciates your tone...too bad he wont see this...

this is the only site that pretty much shoots SM out of the sky....those poor gullible retards.....if its on the net its gods word right?

Not true, he got shot down on every site when he began posting. He simply pulled a C777 and kept on yapping until he drowned out all criticism <_<

Archived