Pod Your Reef

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Update: Where to point bulb

Always try to point the bulb at the middle of the screen, not the top. You don't want too much algae growing at the top by the pipe, because it will grow into the slot and slow down the water. If you have no choice and you have to point the light at the slot, you can attach a thin plastic strip to the pipe, such that it blocks the light from hitting the slot.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SantaMonica

Update: Results of not cleaning

If you do not clean your screen in FW once a week (or at least put the whole screen in FW, and clean half of it), here is what happens:

1. Pods start growing and multipling in the bottom layers of the algae. They do this by eating more of the algae. They then get washed off into the water and get consumed.

2. The bottom layers of algae (attached to the screen) start getting shaded by the new algae that grows on top of it.

3. The bottom layers of algae (attached to the screen) start getting less flow, because they are being covered up by the new algae that grows on top of it.

4. The algae starts growing up into the slot in the pipe, causing less water to flow out.

5. The algae gets thicker and longer and heavier, and thus "lets go" from the screen easier.

The results of 1, 2, 3, and 4 above, is that the bottom layers (which you can't see because they are underneath) start dying and disolving back into the water. The result of #5 is that large pieces of algae on the top layers (that normally would be useful) also go into the water and die due to lack of light.

However, you don't see any of this. What you do see is that the growth seems to be great, but it gets to a certain point and stops. It seems to have "stopped growing". Also the nutrients start rising. So the tendancy of some folks is to leave it longer without cleaning it, so to give the algae "more time to grow". Big mistake.

What is happening is that the underlying layers are dying off so fast, that the algae is being removed from the bottom as fast as it is growing on the top. Kind of like building a second floor on top of a house, but then removing the first floor: You end up with a one-level house again. But then you take all the materials that you got from removing the first floor, and you use them to build a new second floor. But then you tear apart the first floor again, etc.

So what is happening is that the bottom layers (and the top layers that let go) are putting Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate back into the water, which gets used to grow new algae on the top layers again. So the scrubber can no longer filter your tank because it is so busy re-growing new layers to replace the old layers that died.

The easy solution to all of this is to just do your weekly cleaning in FW. And the solution to #5 (which really is the smallest problem) is to put a light-shield along the slot.

He's posted pics earlier in the thread.

Doesn't make it any less useless... Now he even repeating things he said way back on the initial pages.

Good thing his claims have already been refuted pretty effectively.

If Santa Monica was actually doing this research with a University he'd be expelled or fired.

The amount of abuse, misuse, and dishonesty he is guilty of when referencing other studies and quotations is staggering and repulsive.

The idea that articles and studies by honest scientists and hobbyists are being twisted and deformed by this person is disgusting.

I would fully support his being banned just for that. There is no room for the intellectual dishonesty being perpetrated by this bozo. It's an insult to science and to the people who wrote these articles and studies that is he is raping.

haha you just completely raped santa monica. It seemed like he was trying to advertise it. Also, I think all his posts have been on this thread.

SantaMonica

In case anyone is wondering why I'm not replying to certain posts, it's because I can't see any posts from:

supernip

wombat

Mr. Fosi

HecticDialectics

BLoCkCliMbeR

ubigbobby

zjharva

HecticDialectics
Interesting.... I might have to read this thread... Anybody have the cliffs notes?

SantaMonica acted like he invented algae scrubbers

SantaMonica started posting BS "science" to back it up

SantaMonica was called out by the people he's choosing to "ignore".

SantaMonica then started quoting prominent reef authors out of context to support the algae scrubber.

SantaMonica was called out again for bastardizing science.

SantaMonica now claims that he's ignoring the folks that called him out. (lmao)

Awesome. I love how he put people on ignore for questioning him.

AND someone mentioned he has posted this thread on other forums and has been banned from a few.

Classic. :happy:

I ask the question to anyone on here who has put this SantaMonica fellow reefer to ....... to put their hand up if they HAVE actually tried, used the recommended maintenance schedule and seen it not work, to now stop the rant and say "Well I tried it and I couldn't get it to work for me.

Santamonica has shown you a way to reduce your pollutant load and you rubbish the guy.

I enjoy this forum and have been luking in here for quite a while......

I have used one of these on a marine hatchery with great success to raise some very sensitive species.

You can't disregard smething until you've tried it.

All the best SantaMonica.

Fellow Reefer not mobster :)

Taken from "It's In The Water", by Ron Shimek

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/feature/index.php

Seems like that article's based on some pretty up-to-date info.

References Cited:

Atkinson, M. and Bingman, C. 1999. The Composition of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes.. March 1999 Aquarium Frontiers On-line.

Bloom, S. A. 1994. The Community Analyses System, V 5.0. Ecological Data Consultants, Inc., Archer, Florida.

Corel Corporation. 1997. Quattro Pro, V. 8. 0. 0. 709. Copyright © 1997 Corel Corporation and Corel Corporation Limited. All rights reserved.

Weast, R. C. 1966. Ed. The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 46th edition. Chemical Rubber Company. Cleveland, Ohio. Page F-110.

HecticDialectics

Any time you grow algae, of course, that algae will consume nutrients from the water. You gotta read the whole thread if you want the full scope of the outlandish claims santamonica has made...

and then made absolutely absurd attempts to back up with "evidence"

In case anyone is wondering why I'm not replying to certain posts, it's because I can't see any posts from:

supernip

wombat

Mr. Fosi

HecticDialectics

BLoCkCliMbeR

ubigbobby

zjharva

cool i made the list!

and btw, i know these work, but you didn't have to back it up with random things. It would have been easier to say: algae uses nutrients, and the scrubber rids the water of this harmful stuff!

i also saw a big scrubber on a 1500+ total gallon system here

BLoCkCliMbeR
<stuff you said earlier here>

he cant hear (err read?) you, your on the ignore list remember?

yeah, tis true, algae cleans water, even most noobs know this, but his build isnt free as advertised, i like having a chamber i can banish things to.... after checking out his site, there are some pretty impressive examples of turf scrubbers, however he hung himself....got copy and paste happy, mixed up info, and was generally long winded....

maintenince isnt as easy as said also, w/ a scrubber i got to take out the algea "frame" and spray it off in the yard w/ a hose? -vs- removing "x" amount of cheato and selling it to make money....scubber looses this battle sorry dude....i like money, you cant sell the slime off your scrubber

post-23358-1243547753_thumb.jpg

post-23358-1243547767_thumb.jpg

yeah, tis true, algae cleans water, even most noobs know this, but his build isnt free as advertised, i like having a chamber i can banish things to.... after checking out his site, there are some pretty impressive examples of turf scrubbers, however he hung himself....got copy and paste happy, mixed up info, and was generally long winded....

I think we need to start up an Algae Scrubber Anonymous thread just for those who are coming to terms with themselves :D

Not trying to make fun of anyone :D but industry personal said we couldn't make our goldfish work properly and we now breed fish for market 2-4 weeks quicker than anyone else.

They said the ame thing about our recirculated abalone farm with a very large scrubber come abalone hatchery.

They said the same about people who drive fast in the new Model A's "they won't be able to breath if they go too fast.... "

Anyone at the head of innovation gets attacked by those that follow the mob.

HecticDialectics

People at the "head of innovation" should not lie and distort evidence to suit their goals.

Simple as that.

You grew algae on a plate. Whoop dee doo. You should do some background research or something, or at least listen to the other 100 people on this thread...

I think we need to start up an Algae Scrubber Anonymous thread just for those who are coming to terms with themselves :D

Not trying to make fun of anyone :D but industry personal said we couldn't make our goldfish work properly and we now breed fish for market 2-4 weeks quicker than anyone else.

They said the ame thing about our recirculated abalone farm with a very large scrubber come abalone hatchery.

They said the same about people who drive fast in the new Model A's "they won't be able to breath if they go too fast.... "

THe problem people have with Santa Monica is not that he's talking about algae scrubbing. Everyone here recognized that it has its merits and has some beneifts.

The main problem people have is that he is not only making FALSE CLAIMS about what it can do, but he's also using published articles and studies and twisting them to try and make them support his views, which they do not. That is academic dishonesty. If he were a REAL academic or researcher, he would be fired for this.

People also have a problem with him because when someone points out a false claim he makes, he ignores it, which again, it not the proper way to act. Anyone is more than welcome to come here and discuss different methods for keeping our tanks. However it is unacceptable to lie, make false claims, and RAPE published articles and studies, and then refuse to own up to it. This isn't some Galileo issue where anyone is trying to silence his ideas. He's making stuff up and then trying to use REAL science to back it up by missrepresenting that science.

BLoCkCliMbeR
Not trying to make fun of anyone :D but industry personal said we couldn't make our goldfish work properly

:huh: you had faulty goldfish?

are you excited ? your missing important words here and there.....

hey, im just selling torches and rope...gimmie a break.

BLoCkCliMbeR

futhermore......

PhytoBreeder 2 - The Plankton reactor....not much to say about it, cept cleaner than a scrubber

post-23358-1243553834_thumb.jpg

Archived