Top Shelf Aquatics

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice most turf scrubbers are exposed to the air, which I understand for max CO2 exposure, but has anyone had success with submerged turf scrubbers?

post-926-1267329338_thumb.jpg post-926-1267329354_thumb.jpg

I did some mods to my canister filter to give it a try using the double inTank lights.

Santa Monica 100 growth pics for first 7 days:

No seeding. Screen is one layer of roughed up playsic canvas, never used before:

100Day1.jpg

100Day2.jpg

100Day3.jpg

100Day4.jpg

100Day4Left.jpg

100Day4center.jpg

100Day4right.jpg

100Day5.jpg

100Day6.jpg

100Day7.jpg

100Day7frontLeft.jpg

100Day7frontMiddle.jpg

100Day7frontRight.jpg

100Day7backLeft.jpg

100Day7backMiddle.jpg

100Day7backRight.jpg

100Day7frontOut.jpg

100Day7backOut.jpg

Videos:

Front Side:

Back Side:

has the algae in the display area gone down? stay the same? did it have an algae problem in the first place? what are we looking at anyhow with the pics aside from being able to grow algae with lights?

I notice most turf scrubbers are exposed to the air, which I understand for max CO2 exposure, but has anyone had success with submerged turf scrubbers?

post-926-1267329338_thumb.jpg post-926-1267329354_thumb.jpg

I did some mods to my canister filter to give it a try using the double inTank lights.

the turf algae is similar to dock algae and pier algae...algae that grows in highly turbulent areas where waves lap and such...i would imagine if it was submerged it would be no different than bare egg crate or rock, just more surface area than egg crate because of the smaller holes. Just blank surface area for recruitment of whatever...Good thinking on those lights, at least you wont have to worry about water contact concerns and you can place it really close to the screen.

I have read this thread.

I don't understand the basis for all the animosity. Where did it come from?

Is it because he advocates no skimmers?

Lots of people here are skimmerless, and advocate no skimming.

Is it because he advocates no refugiums?

Lots of people here don't have refugiums.

A system to grow slime and hair algae, and then export it seems completely valid.

As valid as a refugium.

Lots of people here have some product that they build, and then sell.

What's the big difference?

The OP posts an inexpensive(downright ghetto actually) DIY algae turf scrubber, showing how they are built, how they work. Then over the course of a year and a half designs and builds a slick one to sell. Sounds like about 5 other posters here, who have done exactly the same thing.

His sleek black acrylic system at the end of this thread is well, to say honestly, an obvious invention. While reading this thread I was imagining a 10 gallon AGA tank which I could take down, cut the sides and bottom down to an inch thick. And then just silicone the front and back to that. Imagined putting a cheap light on the front and back. Would hold about a gallon and half of water. And then pump water through it.

It is just a refugium that grows slime and hair algae instead of chaetomorpha. Big freekin deal, why the woe and anguish?

/shrug.

best comment of the thread :welcome:

Because he's dishonest and ignorant.

This guy misrepresents others' work and he makes claims that he can't/won't substantiate.

- Commercial posters like inTank and Nanotuners/customs never mis-represent anyone else's work.

- They don't tell people that their products do things that they don't.

- They don't try to weasel out of paying sponsor fees to sell their products.

- They don't act like they aren't selling something.

- They don't run away from questions, even hard questions, regarding if/how their products work.

Of course, this overlooks his various digs at the "skimmer industry" and how "they" are behind all the "persecution" he's endured.

It seems to me that that people who claim to have read this thread and don't come away with why Mr. Monica is taking hits must have been skipping over a lot of posts by his critics. I'm not the only person who's taken issue with his repeated mis-use of big hobby names. Heck, even HecticD came out of the 'Lounge to post in here; that's when you know it's egregious.

No this is the best comment of the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
SantaMonica

Here is the initial design for a nano scrubber. Nanos have always been the hardest to DIY a scrubber for. This scrubber is designed to be mounted above the waterline of a nano, and then drain down into it, without needing a real sump below the tank. It will come with a pump that will go into the display (like a powerhead) or into the hidden "sump" section at the back of the tank. I'm building a test version of it now, and if it works out good I'll post the plans for others to build:

25rough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
HecticDialectics
link to a pot forum :blink:

it explains a lot about his posts, actually :lol:

the 100% lack of reading comprehension of academic articles and such... he THOUGHT he totally understood them dude!

Archived