Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

Q: Since scrubbers don't remove food from the water like skimmers do, won't the DOC (dissolved organic carbon) build up and cause problems?

A: No. You need to realize that DOC is food also, it's just microscopically small food, mostly eaten by bacteria, and by some corals. So the DOC gets to a certain level and stays there, since it's being kept in check by the bacteria. And the bacteria themselves are food for corals. But also you need to know that recent research has shown that skimmers themselves actually don't remove (much) DOC as previously thought. Skimmers are mostly removing POC (particulate organic carbon), i.e. pieces of food. That's why they are called "protein skimmers", because food is protein.

How do the DOC levels of ATS tanks compare to the DOC level of wild reefs (~0.8 - 1.2 ppm)?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jourdy, are you a mmber of ReefPhilippines? SM started posting there a year and a hlf ago and very few people there have "Juimped on his bandwagon".

I found this a most interesting quote from SM:

"You are right about experienced folks not wanting to change, and that's fine because I'm targetting beginners with their first or second tank who just have algae problems on their rocks/glass. And as for folks involved in selling skimmers etc., they are invited to post too, and as long as they have logic, they'll be able to make their point. One thing though is they employ shill posters who are paid (or are given free skimmers) to go after any anti-skimmer posts. Turf algae has no such support."

You'd think DIY skimmers would get the same obstruction, but no one ever offered me a free skimmer to quit posting on DIY skimmer threads. Sigh. He's corrupting the minds of newbies!!!!!!!!

After all that time the few people on RP who tried ATS systems were growing nice screens of cyano only.

I've visited one of the larges exporters of fish in the PI, on Mactan, and he had no such ATS. As a matter of fact, only used UV, since, as I'd think most exporters would, he was located right on the water, so used water from the ocean run through UV for all his very healthy tanks. No point to an ATS.

OverviewofFacility.jpg

jourdy, are you a mmber of ReefPhilippines? SM started posting there a year and a hlf ago and very few people there have "Juimped on his bandwagon".

I found this a most interesting quote from SM:

"You are right about experienced folks not wanting to change, and that's fine because I'm targetting beginners with their first or second tank who just have algae problems on their rocks/glass. And as for folks involved in selling skimmers etc., they are invited to post too, and as long as they have logic, they'll be able to make their point. One thing though is they employ shill posters who are paid (or are given free skimmers) to go after any anti-skimmer posts. Turf algae has no such support."

You'd think DIY skimmers would get the same obstruction, but no one ever offered me a free skimmer to quit posting on DIY skimmer threads. Sigh. He's corrupting the minds of newbies!!!!!!!!

After all that time the few people on RP who tried ATS systems were growing nice screens of cyano only.

I've visited one of the larges exporters of fish in the PI, on Mactan, and he had no such ATS. As a matter of fact, only used UV, since, as I'd think most exporters would, he was located right on the water, so used water from the ocean run through UV for all his very healthy tanks. No point to an ATS.

OverviewofFacility.jpg

Ive worked for a wholesaler in the past, as well as spoken to farms in other countries as well and this was the consensus I got from the ones I had spoken to. A lot of them just pumped water from the ocean and had a high turn over rate. Not so much in terms of equipment as there was no need

a flow through system would be so sweet....:)

cyano consumes phosphates and nitrates...

Here is how to post this thread on NR without much trouble:

Thread title - DIY Turf Scrubber

He guys, I was checking out Dr. Adey's turf scrubber and I figured I could make a smaller one for personal aquaria. This is what I did:

post of the one you setup

The idea is that the nuisance algae on the screen, (which is mostly a cyano species from the pictures, species id me if I am wrong - and that is fine, rather have cyano than turf algae anyway, cyano is easily cleaned, grows fater etc...), will consume some of the nitrates and phosphates in my system, much like a refuigum (not a skimmer) would do. I hope it works out, I will post my progress as I go along.

What you don't want to do:

MEGA POWERFUL GREATEST THING EVER I CAME UP WITH:

fill it with outrageous claims, misinterpret what it does completely, misinterpret what nuisance algae is, and how making the water too clean will leach phosphates that will grow cyano in your display because cyano doesn't eat phosphates it searches for ammonia and dissolving food despite the laws of nature, here is a graph from NASA that says water flowing over something means something unrelated to this post, I am not in the business of selling scrubbers, I just want you all to check out my new website and sign up and buy the screens I am selling. Oh, and here are some untested possibly unsafe ways you can build your own, but I am just posting them for noobs to do, I wouldn't want them to actually do it and risk a fire hazard. Beware anyone who disagrees with facts I have laid out before you, they are paid off by BIG skimmer, and are corrupt. :wacko:

the thing about having a conversation via spam post with faulty science/logic etc... is that you will bump into a mr fosi et al...who will disagree with you, when that is followed up by more of the same, they will get ticked that you are trying to attract newbs to the faulty logic/science and keep up with corrections as need be. Dont be too proud to say that other methods work, and that this is another layer of filtration only and not the be all end all. Best of luck in your business, get some insurance.

A favorite of mine:

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewto...p?f=2&t=305

and for the record this is cyano:

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/d...S/IMAGE_348.jpg

i personally think that scrubbers are a Godsend to reefers.

Thank you jesus!!!!

PS: My head hurts looking at how long that post was WTF.

BTW MY POST WAS APPROVED BY:

post-46133-1253151115_thumb.jpg

Yeah well I just got an eco aqualizer So I'm good, thanks though SantaMonica.

And here is Total Proof that the Ecoaqualizer works as advertised, per an intensive study done by the Army Corp of Engineers. NOT!

I can't believe I read this whole thread when all I really needed to do was read John's single post.

Thanks a lot John.

"REEFs Robby Digital" needs to learn how to read. He mis-quoted me on somthing I never said. Now I'm going to start posting things on his threads that he said said.

"REEFs Robby Digital" needs to learn how to read. He mis-quoted me on somthing I never said. Now I'm going to start posting things on his threads that he said said.

So then you don't think that scrubbers are a Godsend to reefers? I mean you did use that to quote to support your point, right?

Hey SantaMonica:

Q: Since scrubbers don't remove food from the water like skimmers do, won't the DOC (dissolved organic carbon) build up and cause problems?

A: No. You need to realize that DOC is food also, it's just microscopically small food, mostly eaten by bacteria, and by some corals. So the DOC gets to a certain level and stays there, since it's being kept in check by the bacteria. And the bacteria themselves are food for corals. But also you need to know that recent research has shown that skimmers themselves actually don't remove (much) DOC as previously thought. Skimmers are mostly removing POC (particulate organic carbon), i.e. pieces of food. That's why they are called "protein skimmers", because food is protein.

How do the DOC levels of ATS tanks compare to the DOC level of wild reefs (~0.8 - 1.2 ppm)?

How are you measuring DOC? What method and how often are you testing?

Hey SantaMonica:

How are you measuring DOC? What method and how often are you testing?

i dont think he's measuring anything at all. -_-

So lame. <_<

With everything else substantive in this thread, Mr. Monica chooses to go after a noob who was making a run at comedy... Then he follows his lame comment up with a threat to start stuff in other threads.

loser.jpg

Archived