Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not talk about the positive of a ATS for a change I'll start with 1

1= more pods and protein/food then a skimmed tank since food added is not sucked away this will feed pods all the while controling inorganics

This single fact opens up countless advantages that one day will open up doors for fish that love pods this fact alone will mean that people can have smaller tanks and less rock all the while keeping their copepod fed and their copepod dependant fish happy

another fact that people are going to realize in the near future is that a once hard to keep coral are going to benefit from this extra protein/specialized food that is not sucked out of the system door's are going to open shortly keep a a sharp eye on this so called ATS

Lets talk about a negative of a skimmer for a change I'll start with 1

1=protein skimmer's don't discriminate they don't care that they are taking out food/protein that feeds pods/hard to keep coral that require specific protein/food for their very survival and this fact alone forces people to feed expensive food just to have a protein skimmer suck it out of the system

this logic makes no sense same with the fact protein skimmer's don't even take out phosphate/nitrate

why use a protein skimmer if this is what it does?

I think that the reason why people use those evil skimmers and refugiums is because they can achieve results like these

img_5889.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's why they use them.

this logic makes no sense same with the fact protein skimmer's don't even take out phosphate/nitrate

why use a protein skimmer if this is what it does?

Hmmmm, this is like saying humans don't ingest carbon, sodium, and calcium...

Skimmers remove organic molecules. Plenty of precursors of nitrate and phosphate there. There may also be some removal of phosphate directly (via apatite) if kalkwasser is dosed near the skimmer.

Negative of a system solely filtered by ATS: It does not remove DOC. There is more to "clean" water than nitrate and phosphate.

No. I said I kind of hoped he did start crap in someone else's thread. I deleted it but obviously nate saw it.

yeah... =P sozz man. but is SOOOO FUNNY!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

PS im stealing it. :P

"REEFs Robby Digital" needs to learn how to read. He mis-quoted me on somthing I never said. Now I'm going to start posting things on his threads that he said said.

Awww....Tear : (............

Maybe you should make a website for your revolutionary reefing techniques.

Militant Jurist

Seriously, this thread is still active?

duh.gif

As Einstein once said, insane is when you do something over and over expecting different results.

SM, you, sir, are insane.

paddedcell.gif

Or you guys could stop bumping it as well and just let him talk to himself... since he isn't doing anything wrong.

Just a thought.

You are so right.

Bye, ya'll.

HecticDialectics
"REEFs Robby Digital" needs to learn how to read. He mis-quoted me on somthing I never said. Now I'm going to start posting things on his threads that he said said.

Just an fyi, but you're misquoting his name.

How? How did he start out telling us that a piece of screen the size of a cell phone would solve most of the problems experienced by nano reefers and end up trying to make a case by posting scores of photos showing sump dwelling jigsaw puzzles of amp pumping death?

he is refining the FAQ section though, all this heat and he will eventually come out with a decent prototype by the time he is ready to sell it on a large scale.

Why Algae Works

More Info:

Algae and Human Affairs, By Carole A. Lembi, J. Robert Waaland, Phycological Society of America

www.PSAalgae.org

www.AlgaeBase.org

WhyAlgaeWorks.jpg

Text: 90 percent of all living matter (except bacteria) in the ocean is algae of all forms and colors. The remaining 10% (except bacteria) of all living matter in the ocean is: Corals, Plants, Sponges, Worms, Snails, Clams, Octopi, Shrimp, Crabs, Pods, Urchins, Starfish, Small Fish, Medium Fish, Big Fish, Sharks, Whales, Giant Squids, and Everything Else. The algae is what does all the filtering of the waste from the animals, and the algae is also what feeds all the animals through the various food webs.

Aquariums, however (especially ones without refugiums), have no algae to do the filtering or feeding. So all the filtering has to be done manually with equipment, and all the feeding has to be done manually too. At least with a refugium, there is some filtering and feeding, although most refugiums are far too small to do all of it. Scrubbers are powerful enough to do all the filtering by themselves, and can do a lot of the feeding too, if copepods are the food that is desired.

Text: 90 percent of all living matter (except bacteria) in the ocean is algae of all forms and colors.

Of course, we'll ignore the fact that this algae is almost completely that which resides in the water column and thus not the sort that you find associated with Mr. Monica's cyano farms.

The algae is what does all the filtering of the waste from the animals, and the algae is also what feeds all the animals through the various food webs.

Note that he has so far in this thread (or anywhere else) failed to define "filtering of the waste". Also note that he is incorrect in stating that "algae is also what feeds all the animals through the various food webs". In fact, shallow benthic systems such as coral reefs depend a great deal more on bacteria than they do upon algae both for food and for biogeochemical cycling of nutrients.

Aquariums, however (especially ones without refugiums), have no algae to do the filtering or feeding.

Here again Mr. Monica fails to distinguish between the types of algae found on his cyano farms vs. the algae found in most people's refugia. Generally, most people stock their refugium with macroalgae, which is both attractive and worth a little money when it comes time to thin it out. Mr. Monica's cyano farms, on the other hand, produce nothing of monetary value, look terrible, have questionable value with regard to nutrient export and are almost all fire/electrical hazards.

So all the filtering has to be done manually with equipment, and all the feeding has to be done manually too.

Once again, note the use of the term "filtering" with no definition. Also, since all aquaria are by definition, no better than semi-closed systems, some "manual feeding" will always be required.

At least with a refugium, there is some filtering and feeding, although most refugiums are far too small to do all of it. Scrubbers are powerful enough to do all the filtering by themselves, and can do a lot of the feeding too, if copepods are the food that is desired.

Note the lack of data to back up his claims of refugia vs. cyano farm. Anyone can make unfounded assertions, even a head-beater like Mr. Monica.

Additionally, by claiming that his cyano farms can "do a lot of the feeding" by adding copepods to the system, he glosses over the fact that he is directly contradicting himself. Several places places in this thread he has claimed that the avid cyano gardener needs to clean their screen often to keep the 'pods from populating the screen and consuming the algae. He said this was bad because it put nutrients back in the water that the algae had "filtered" out. He has made this claim more than once and been rebutted by other, more experiences aquarists who corrected him by saying that 'pods were a desirable addition.

Way to go Mr. Monica... Another very informative addition to your thread. :rolleyes: I think this thread could use a re-title: Cyanobacteria Farming Today with the bylines: "Learn how to twist the findings of science to your own aims" and "NEW: 10 ways to flood your home before you burn it down".

---quote removed to save space, see above post----

STFU fosi, if your so smart why dont you teach science in a school or something....

(f-bomb) i just bumped.....sorry

Archived