SaltCritters.com

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

nanoreef11
Maybe dip it and see what happens.I had something eat my hammer one time pretty bad and it came back fast

fw dip? How long?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a iodine dip of some sort

what lighting are you running now?Did you ever try a chalice of any sort?You can find some deals on them nowdays.I like them alot.

The first night I put the hammer coral in my cleaner shrimp was picking at one of the heads. The head looks like it is pretty much dead now. I don't think I can save it. What should I do?

Man, I'm sorry about your hammer. What do you think happen? Is it normal that a cleaner shrimp attack a hammer coral?

nanoreef11
a iodine dip of some sort

what lighting are you running now?Did you ever try a chalice of any sort?You can find some deals on them nowdays.I like them alot.

How would I do an iodine dip? I have never dipped corals. I am back to my stock lighting, the metal halides just didn't work out for me.

I'm not a big chalice fan because they seem to cost a lot.

Jon

Man, I'm sorry about your hammer. What do you think happen? Is it normal that a cleaner shrimp attack a hammer coral?

Yea it's only one head so I'm not super bummed but still it's a coral that we should try and keep alive. All of the other heads are doing good. When I put the coral in my tank only half of it was out and the cleaner shrimp kept going up to it and popping out stuff. I was mad at him and tried to keep him away. I think it's a gonner but I might try a dip.

Jon

Hey John,

I noticed you crossed out the Chaeto on your list. Did you take out the fuge from your tank? I have a month old tank with Nitrates around 10 - 20 ppm and was going to add Chaeto to the center chamber, but just wanted to check in with you as your tank looks great.

Hey John,

I noticed you crossed out the Chaeto on your list. Did you take out the fuge from your tank? I have a month old tank with Nitrates around 10 - 20 ppm and was going to add Chaeto to the center chamber, but just wanted to check in with you as your tank looks great.

I actually had StevieT's media basket and the chaeto wasn't doing to well in it so I ditch the fuge idea and went with a sapphire skimmer.

I have lost 2 heads of my hammer coral but the rest of them look really good. My cleaner shrimp on the other hand seemed to dissapear and I can't find him. I think he died and disinegrated before I could take him out.

Anyways that's all I have for an update today. I need to do a water change tonight after work so I might take some new pics while I'm at it.

Jon

How do you like the skimmer compared to the chaeto? is your prams better?

I have thought about going the skimmer way just because every tank I have ever seen until I came here had one. Though from what I have read here is that skimmers can take out some of the things you want to keep and chaeto only really helps with nitrates. So my thoughts were that you only a skimmer as a last resort but I would like to know how it's been working for you.

I actually had StevieT's media basket and the chaeto wasn't doing to well in it so I ditch the fuge idea and went with a sapphire skimmer.

I have lost 2 heads of my hammer coral but the rest of them look really good. My cleaner shrimp on the other hand seemed to dissapear and I can't find him. I think he died and disinegrated before I could take him out.

Anyways that's all I have for an update today. I need to do a water change tonight after work so I might take some new pics while I'm at it.

Jon

Hey, what's up Jon?

You sound tired, seen that you've been busy at work, same here.

Sorry about your hammer & shrimp, what do you think it happen? Have you been reading your parameters and doing water changes?

Do you think you had a cycle after you put the new rock in?

Anyways good to see you around, need update pics!!! B)

I like the skimmer and I'll try to get some pics of it.

I have been extremely busy. Too much traveling. A different city every two days last week. Been spending a lot of money as well haha. Anyways on the tank parameters I havnt really been checking which I need to do before my water change tonight. I'll post them after I test tonight.

I might of had a mini cycle but the clowns were doing fine and so was the shrimp. He just suddenly dissapeared and I never saw him again. Interesting hmmm.

Until then happy reefing!

Jon

I havnt tested my water in 2 months and everything looks good! I thought for sure my nitrates or something would be high but it doesn't look that way.

Calcium - 420ppm

Carbonate hardness - 9dkH

Phosphates - 0ppm

Nitrates - 5ppm

PH - 8.3

Magnesium - 1425ppm

Salinity - 1.026sg

The calcium might be a little low but I'm not that worried about it right now.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hey a little update here. I have been running around, busy as always. Not much going on with the tank. Thinking about picking up some rics from my work.

My other ric dettached itself and I can't find it in the tank anywhere.

Hopefully it pops up next month when I move my tank.

I need to do another water change and take a couple shots.

• 3 weeks later...

I was all ready to take pics of my tank this morning but I couldn't find the camera. Stay posted later tonight.

I have been meaning to update this page and tonight I found the time to take a lot of pics and post them. So I will let the pictures do most of the talking.

Start off with a FTS

100_0091.jpg

Left Side

100_0103.jpg

Right Side

100_0108.jpg

Orange Zoas (id?)

100_0069.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Green Zoas (id?)

100_0070.jpg

100_0096.jpg

Eagle Eyes Mother Colony

100_0076.jpg

100_0106.jpg

Eagle Eyes Frag

100_0071.jpg

100_0094.jpg

Green Star Polyps (probably going back to my work soon)

100_0095.jpg

100_0073.jpg

Hammer Coral (4 heads)

100_0077.jpg

100_0078.jpg

100_0102.jpg

Duncanops NEW!! I have only had it for a week or two and there is already another head. (6 total now)

100_0066.jpg

100_0067.jpg

100_0068.jpg

100_0098.jpg

100_0104.jpg

Baby Duncanop!

100_0099.jpg

Ricordea Mushrooms NEW!!

100_0074.jpg

100_0075.jpg

100_0100.jpg

Hand Feeding Clowns

100_0113.jpg

100_0116.jpg

Skimmer doin its job

100_0109.jpg

Another FTS

100_0092.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Reefing

Jon

Hey Jon!

Glad to see you back in nanoland! See you've been busy adding a bunch of corals, behind our backs, :D

Everything looks great, that hammer made a good comeback, and the new additions are awesome. Great choice picking them up. Did your cleaner shrimp really died?

So what's the deal with your GSP? Why are you taking them back to the store. Too big? Are you going to frag them?

Now you pushing me for an update, I'll better get to work on it... B)

Hey Jon!

Glad to see you back in nanoland! See you've been busy adding a bunch of corals, behind our backs, :D

Everything looks great, that hammer made a good comeback, and the new additions are awesome. Great choice picking them up. Did your cleaner shrimp really died?

So what's the deal with your GSP? Why are you taking them back to the store. Too big? Are you going to frag them?

Now you pushing me for an update, I'll better get to work on it... B)

Hey there, thanks for staying posted. I have been busy and trying to stay cool over here in California. Been going to the beach more. I am also getting ready to move for school next month. Transferring to Cal State Long Beach.

I have been trying to pick up some corals here and there. I am sure once I move I will buy more depending on funds and how busy I am.

My hammer did make a good comeback. Two of the heads died within the first few days but the others are thriving now. I have no idea what happened to the cleaner shrimp but my CUC probably ate him up before I could see him. I have my eye on a fire shrimp at my work.

The gsp just seems too big for my tank. I am going to take it back tomorrow morning and maybe pick up a smaller frag. I also want some xenias.

Today I brought home a red leg reef hermit crab, a blue stripped hermit crab, a small diamond goby, and a purple/yellow feather duster.

Happy Reefing

Jon

I'm very happy for you, Jon!

Yeah, you might be right about your GSP rock, is a big one. But remember if you take that rock out, you might have to replace it with another piece of LR.

IMG_1850.jpg

I moved my rocks around and open up a big space to add a couple of more pieces of LR in. I'm also thinking of moving that torch down to the bottom right of my tank. In the glass shot there's another Ricordea getting attach to rumble.

Don't know what's happening to that small colony of pink dye zoanthids, open for like a week and then close up and never open again. Any Ideas?

You wanted to know about my opinion Xenia. Just get a head, and place it high in the rock, that way it won't walk much, spreading less in your tank. That's what I did... ;)

Hey, also I would like to see pics of your new additions, don't let us hanging too long.

I had plans last night so I acclimated them and didn't have time to take some pics. I didn't even have time to take the gsp back to my work. I just replaced the left moonlight and the tank looks way cooler. The hammer is neon green! The right moonlight needs to be replaced now.

So I might get a small piece of xenia. Still up in the air about it. I want to get a candy cane and some blastos. Dont really want to pay a lot for them though. Any ideas on where to get them? We never seem to get a lot in that are small.

Man, I've looked at a colony of maroon Blastos in my LFS for weeks!

Here they started asking for $85, but price came down after Independence day sale to $75. I might go there and offer $65 just to take them. I'll try to snap a pic next time I go. If I don't get them.

Today I saw a friends 125G reef system, it was beautiful. Plenty of fish and corals. And he's keeping orange caps under PC's. They have grown and not loose any of their color. Wonder if we can keep them in our BioCubes....We have to ask GGA, she was getting one.

Yea definitely snap a pic for me. I want like a 3-5 head frag and just let it grow from there. Some red/orange/white ones. I know I can find them but I just havnt looked hard enough. Hit GGA up and see. I'm not going to risk an orange cap right now because I'm getting ready to move soon.

looking good.You will love the duncans when they start to grow away.

I already love them. I was amazed at how fast a baby duncan popped up. I need to get some pics of the the feather duster tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some more pictures.

Did a water change and mounted my corals. They are finally out of the sand. Happy with how it turned out. Let me know what you think.

photo4.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Happy Reefing

Jon

Archived