Cultivated Reef

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

Yea dude I have been busy lately. I have some nice acans and rics in my tank now. The duncans are looking a little overgrown and need to frag them up. Tank is looking great though and everything is healthy. I need to get some pics of this week and if my schedule allows it I will be able to achieve this.

Happy Reefing

Jon

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I would stop in today and post some pictures. Let me know what you guys think of the tank. I have been better at keeping up on weekly water changes and feeding corals every week.

FTS

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

New Ricordeas

IMG_0562.jpg

New Acans

IMG_0563.jpg

Zoos Land

IMG_0565.jpg

Thanks for Looking and Happy Reefing

Jon

Looking good, Jon!!!

It's nice to see that your tank lives on, my friend...

Mine is eight months now, and is mature and very stable. I got my clowns, a six line wrasse, sea star, my skunk cleaner shrimp and tons of corals. Keep everything good with a 2 gallon water change every three weeks. I'll be posting pics very soon.

Love the Acans, and I agreed that Frogspan need to be frag, it is looking BIG!

Hey man, nice to see you here still, keep posting, I'm always checking my favorite threads...

• 10 months later...

About time I stop by and update this thread a little bit. Going to try to be better about posting weekly updates.

Tank is doing well with a little bit of a cyano problem. Ordered some snails from reefcleaners.org last night so they should be here within the week if not early next week.

I did lose my smaller clown. Decided to jump into chamber 3 and got pinched between the intake of the pump and the wall. Came home from school and right when I walked in the door I looked at my tank to find only 1 clown out and about. That's when I looked in the back and saw him. Immediately turned all the pumps off but it was already too late.

Did a 2.5 gallon water change last night and hoping to kick the cyano with the new snails and regular water changes. Definitely need to test my water this week because I feel the nitrates are high. Only have 1 fish right now and not going to add more until I get the nitrates down.

I have a new camera. Nothing fancy but I can take better pictures now and post them here.

Until then, Happy Reefing,

Jon

Hey Jon!

Happy to read about you and your reef again. I been in hibernation too. Has not update my thread in months, but I still visit nano-reef in a regular basis.

I'm sorry about your little nemo...but you are very smart in not getting a replacement until you get your parameters back on track.

About my BioCube, I will be writing an update this weekend. But is not very good either. I lost more than 50% of my corals just because my electric blue knuckle crab choose to nest in my trumpet (candy cane) coral. I'll give you a little more detail in my thread.

Also I recently sold my upgrade tank and equipment. And now planning a smaller upgrade. I was going to a 120, now to a 40 Breeder. Hopefully I'll have it running for the first quarter of 2011.

Well, Jon. Just keep us posted. The use of your new camera will be nice too... :D

See you around...Happy Reefing!

Hey Jon!

Happy to read about you and your reef again. I been in hibernation too. Has not update my thread in months, but I still visit nano-reef in a regular basis.

I'm sorry about your little nemo...but you are very smart in not getting a replacement until you get your parameters back on track.

About my BioCube, I will be writing an update this weekend. But is not very good either. I lost more than 50% of my corals just because my electric blue knuckle crab choose to nest in my trumpet (candy cane) coral. I'll give you a little more detail in my thread.

Also I recently sold my upgrade tank and equipment. And now planning a smaller upgrade. I was going to a 120, now to a 40 Breeder. Hopefully I'll have it running for the first quarter of 2011.

Well, Jon. Just keep us posted. The use of your new camera will be nice too... :D

See you around...Happy Reefing!

Hey jdantunes,

Thanks for stopping in a posting on my topic. I was planning on taking pictures of my tank but with finals coming this week it hasn't been possible. My lights come on near the end of the day and that's when I'm busiest. I clean it up on Tuesday and see if I can't find some time.

Sorry to hear about your loses. I had a blue knuckle crab and seemed a little violent so I told him he had to go.

I will definitely be waiting to see the 40 breeder. The 120 would have been nice too but that's a lot more money and time then the 40. Maybe later on down the road?

Cool tank.

Thank you 2nd nature. I hope to get update pics up soon.

Jon

• 7 months later...

Hello Nano-Reefers,

I realized that I my tank is coming up to the 3 year mark and I really haven't made a whole lot of progress as far as coral purchases and growing the tank out. So good for everyone following my thread because you haven't been missing out on much. Bad for me because it seems like my tank hasn't progressed a whole lot. Compare my tank to others at the 3 year mark and it looks like I'm behind in the game. Although my tank has survived several moves and I also am a busy student finishing up school.

Lets move on to the updates:

Picked up a Yasha Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair a month ago and they have been doing well in the tank.

photo1.jpg

Last Friday I decided to stop by the fish store to see if I saw anything I liked. Ended up picking up an orange plate coral and some silver pulsing xenia.

The orange plate coral is doing very well and is really fun to watch when it eats. Thinking about swapping spots with the dendro. What are your ideas?

photo2.jpg

(Aiptasia is now dead)

Xenia is doing well although I need to find a spot for him. He came in on a small piece of rock attached to a larger piece. Probably going to take the smaller piece off of the larger and glue him to the rock. Any suggestions on where to place him?

photo3.jpg

Here is a full tank shot. Sorry for the low quality. I snapped the pics with my iPhone. I do have a new point and shoot camera (Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS) thanks to my girlfriend.

photo4.jpg

I really plan to keep everyone up to date with my tank because I feel I should be giving back to Nano-Reef because I learned so much from here. Can't wait to celebrate the 3 year mark next month!

Happy Reefing,

Jon

Just looked over my thread and realize that page 13 has 3 different years in the post. How about I change that so that people who used to follow my tank don't lose hope in it. Will upload better pics with my camera this weekend. Will be asking advice on how to take better pics as I'm still getting used to my new camera.

Happy Reefing

Jon

Yea I'll get some better pics of the entire tank this weekend. Maybe tonight maybe tomorrow. Probably going to do a water change after work and more than likely the pics will be up tomorrow.

I fragged the colony (20+) heads about a year ago and gave 2/3 of it to my friend in exchange for the green candy canes. I kept about 4 heads and there are probably 8 or so good size heads. Checked them last night and 2 new baby heads are popping out. This thing grows like crazy. Had it for 2 years.

Might be up to trade half of my hammer/frogspawn coral. It is also getting really big and the bottom heads are not getting much flow/light. Any interest?

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

hrm. Im just waiting on my tank to finish cycling to add mines. I traded my 20g long and sump for my friends biocube with rocks and corals. Im also suppose to be picking up my orange/golden tipped wall hammer coral this sunday. I have 3 that i bought in my friends tank which is branching hammer, dendros, and moon favias.

When did you setup your tank? How long was your 20 gallon going for before you decided to trade it to your friend? The orange/golden tipped wall hammer should look amazing. First coral for the tank? Look forward to seeing some pics of it. Let me know if you have any questions on the BC14.

Jon

SouthFlorida_Tron

you may have complemented mine but yours is totally showing the length of time its been up.... totally nice setup :)

longbeachstateofmind

I was actually piecing it together before i traded it. All i gave him was the tank, sump and pump. In return i got some of his rock, the corals he doesnt want (which is pretty much everything he had except the gbta._, the equipment except 1 power head and his mh. Im building my leds so im not too worried about having lighting for the moment. Plus it seems like the rocks are pulling enough light from my window. Ive attached a pic of my friends 20g long

post-67901-1310763245_thumb.jpg

you may have complemented mine but yours is totally showing the length of time its been up.... totally nice setup :)

Thanks I am trying to spend more time with my tank and get some small frags set on the rocks and just watch everything grow.

I was actually piecing it together before i traded it. All i gave him was the tank, sump and pump. In return i got some of his rock, the corals he doesnt want (which is pretty much everything he had except the gbta._, the equipment except 1 power head and his mh. Im building my leds so im not too worried about having lighting for the moment. Plus it seems like the rocks are pulling enough light from my window. Ive attached a pic of my friends 20g long

Sounds like you did get a deal on the tank then. You wouldn't really want to gbta in a small tank anyways. Hopefully the 20L works out for your friend. Should have painted the back black but I'm digging the aquascape. Wish the BC14 gave me better options but looking to upgrade in about a year from now when I graduate. Don't know what it will be but research begins now haha.

Jon

my bio has been up for 2 weeks tomorrow. I actually own a favia, dendro, and hammer.

So it should be near the end of it's cycle. I bet you're excited to start putting some corals in the tank. I have a dendro head as well. Was about 3 heads (1 reg, 2 babies) but when I had an algae breakout then the 2 smaller heads got covered and didn't make it.

Tank is doing a lot better and trying to feed the dendro to get it to grow. Might move to the spot under my green candy canes where the orange plate coral is and then move the orange plate more towards the middle.

Any ideas? Good? Bad?

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

me personally i like the candy canes were its at. but i will agree to the orange plate coral in the middle. Just a fyi if you want to know about a sale this sunday ask me. its like 50% off their corals

as far as the cycling, i want to do a 3 month cycle. At end of the month im adding a cuc. My dendros i got for 10 bucks with 3 heads on it. One of the heads looked like it was going to die, but it is looking good now.

me personally i like the candy canes were its at. but i will agree to the orange plate coral in the middle. Just a fyi if you want to know about a sale this sunday ask me. its like 50% off their corals

as far as the cycling, i want to do a 3 month cycle. At end of the month im adding a cuc. My dendros i got for 10 bucks with 3 heads on it. One of the heads looked like it was going to die, but it is looking good now.

I love where the candy canes are at. I was saying to move the dendro to the spot under the candy canes. I think I'll play with my tank a little tonight. Where is the sale at? I'm trying to look for smaller frags. You can PM if you want to keep it top secret haha.

That's good that you are taking longer than normal. Most people are anxious to throw things in and then they realize they move too fast so good job.

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

heavenly aquatic in the oc. they had monthly sales, then bumped it up to the 1st and 15th. I picked up that hammer for a really good price. What i would have paid for a 1 inch frag i got the whole 4-6 inches

heavenly aquatic in the oc. they had monthly sales, then bumped it up to the 1st and 15th. I picked up that hammer for a really good price. What i would have paid for a 1 inch frag i got the whole 4-6 inches

Sounds good. I will definitely stop by and check them out. Early you said on Sunday but today is the 15th?...

Jon

Edit: Do you have the cross streets? Can't find them on the internet.

Edit: Aquatic-Heaven.Inc?

Edit: Website says Sunday for 30% off on corals.

Thanks!

longbeachstateofmind

LOL yea, theyre only open on sundays. so which ever date is closer. 30% online, 50% at the store. :) there off producer lane.

thanks for the edit. yea aquatic heaven

LOL yea, theyre only open on sundays. so which ever date is closer. 30% online, 50% at the store. :) there off producer lane.

thanks for the edit. yea aquatic heaven

Hey I didn't have time to stop by aquatic heaven on Sunday. Did you stop by and get anything? I know your tank isn't ready yet but just wondering.

Jon

Stay posted for pictures tonight...

Update time. Took some pics on Sunday night and meant to put them up last night but here they are. I didn't get a chance to clean the tank before the pictures were taken but they still turned out pretty good. Tested water and cleaned the tank last night. Need to bring up ph, alkalinity, and magnesium. So will be working on that this week.

I am new to my camera so any tips would greatly be appreciated. I was trying to get the white balance correct. I shot some of the photos in underwater mode and some with florescent lights. Let me know what you think I should use.

Start with a FTS

IMG_0439.jpg

In underwater mode

IMG_0408.jpg

Left Side

IMG_0410.jpg

Right Side

IMG_0411.jpg

Duncans (florescent WB)

IMG_0419.jpg

(underwater mode)

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Green Tipped Toadstool (florescent WB)

IMG_0422.jpg

(underwater mode)

IMG_0415.jpg

Ricordeas

(florescent WB)

IMG_0423.jpg

(underwater mode)

IMG_0416.jpg

(florescent WB)

IMG_0424.jpg

(underwater mode)

IMG_0418.jpg

Xenia (soon to be repositioned)

IMG_0425.jpg

Candy Canes (getting big)

IMG_0426.jpg

Orange Plate Coral

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Dendro

IMG_0429.jpg

Zoas

IMG_0430.jpg

Let me know what you think of the pictures. I am always open to feedback on my tank and love to hear what people think. Thanks for looking.

Happy Reefing

Jon

Archived