Coral Vue Hydros

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

Anyone have comments on the pics. Should I shoot in florescent mode or underwater mode. Maybe I should set up the custom white balance on the camera?

Jon

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

i like flourescent personally... i dont fuly understand WB yet, my dslr shoots raw then i customize each pic in photoshop til i get the best color of the coral and tank...

i like flourescent personally... i dont fuly understand WB yet, my dslr shoots raw then i customize each pic in photoshop til i get the best color of the coral and tank...

Thanks for the reply. I currently have a P&S but seems to take pretty good pictures. Can't afford a DSLR but wish I had one. Some people, including yourself, take amazing photos. I think I'm going to play around with it a little bit more. Maybe put something white in the tank and have the camera recognize it to get the true white balance.

Jon

Anyone have comments on the pics. Should I shoot in florescent mode or underwater mode. Maybe I should set up the custom white balance on the camera?

Jon

Tank is looking fantastic. I've been following off and on since 08. Is that still PC lighting?

I think the florescent WB is a good start. The underwater is a little red for my taste. Looks noce on the xenia and rics but just kills the color on the candy canes. Those candy canes are insane. Mine split before they get that big. Even their texture looks intense. The florescent WB helps their color look nice and green IMO.

Tank is looking fantastic. I've been following off and on since 08. Is that still PC lighting?

I think the florescent WB is a good start. The underwater is a little red for my taste. Looks noce on the xenia and rics but just kills the color on the candy canes. Those candy canes are insane. Mine split before they get that big. Even their texture looks intense. The florescent WB helps their color look nice and green IMO.

Hey sstuckey,

I remember you. I'm back in action on nano-reef.com and it's great to be in this reef hobbyist community. I have missed it so much but definitely making the effort to stay on top of my tank and updated the thread.

Yea the tank has been growing a lot. Need to get some smaller frags in there so that the tank can grow/fill out. The lights are still stock pc's. Ready to change the bulbs out again. About every 10 months or so.

I agree that the florescent is a good start. I need to sharpen up some of the photos I think in photoshop next time. The underwater mode is a little on the red side but makes some of the corals look cool. The candy cane is growing like crazy. Think I started with 6-7 heads last year and every week a new head is splitting. Keep feeding it and they will grow.

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

yea i was able to pick up my wall hammer coral. I lost my wallet thursday, so i wasnt able to pick up more

yea i was able to pick up my wall hammer coral. I lost my wallet thursday, so i wasnt able to pick up more

Well that's cool that you got a wall hammer coral but not cool that you lost your wallet. Hopefully someone turns it in and gets it back to you.

Any pics of the wall hammer?

Jon

sorry for the bad pic, his lights were off already.

Looks like a nice piece. So is your tank going to be stocked the first month haha?

Jon

Nope its sitting in my friends tank for 2 months more. I'm building my led

Sounds good. Do you have a thread going on the LED build? Interested in following it.

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

No thread yet, waiting till i got everything and actually build it. Im building 3 different types of leds system. The 5mm, crees, and the high power leds. Im planning to test them all, then use the best of each (moon light, day light, and blue visual enhancement)

No thread yet, waiting till i got everything and actually build it. Im building 3 different types of leds system. The 5mm, crees, and the high power leds. Im planning to test them all, then use the best of each (moon light, day light, and blue visual enhancement)

Dang I hope the build goes well. Seems like you know what you want to do with the LED's. Next year I'm gonna upgrade and want to do LED's so I need to start learning everything now.

Jon

longbeachstateofmind

The leds itself is easy. I found the other electronic parts to be far more complicated. Then there is debate that china led dont last longer then american made leds... Im not waiting 10+ years to find that answer out.

The leds itself is easy. I found the other electronic parts to be far more complicated. Then there is debate that china led dont last longer then american made leds... Im not waiting 10+ years to find that answer out.

Yea well good luck with the build.

nice tank !

Thank you! Trying to stock more corals in this small 14 gallon haha.

Jon

Trying to stock more corals in this small 14 gallon haha.

Jon

Save your room. Get on those LEDs so you can start collecting some SPS. They really help out with adding new shape and interest to the tank. Not that I'm the expert I just bought my first two frags back in May.

Save your room. Get on those LEDs so you can start collecting some SPS. They really help out with adding new shape and interest to the tank. Not that I'm the expert I just bought my first two frags back in May.

Well if I upgrade next year I think I'm going to save the money. Any suggestions on a tank? I want to do LED's either DIY or buy a fixture. My next tank will be SPS for sure.

Jon

Archived