Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

How do you spot feed a coral? Should i be doing this to my moon polyps?

I had a frag with 2 moon polyps on it and now their is one and it is starting to flatten out, any tips on what i should be doing here? All of my other corals are doing fine.

Sorry to hear about the plate

Hey jeremycee I believe you should try to spot feed each polyp individually with a baster of some kind. I picked one up from my work made by h2o called a coral feeder. It's basically a turkey basted but a little bit skinnier. Just dissolve your frozen food in some tank water in a container and then take the baster, with the pumps off, and squirt a little bit on each coral. I also heard that they like phyto plankton of some sort because it feeds them indirectly. This means that the phyto plankton feeds the pods and the pods feed the corals.

Hope this helps

Jon

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey jeremycee I believe you should try to spot feed each polyp individually with a baster of some kind. I picked one up from my work made by h2o called a coral feeder. It's basically a turkey basted but a little bit skinnier. Just dissolve your frozen food in some tank water in a container and then take the baster, with the pumps off, and squirt a little bit on each coral. I also heard that they like phyto plankton of some sort because it feeds them indirectly. This means that the phyto plankton feeds the pods and the pods feed the corals.

Hope this helps

Jon

Awesome, thanks for your help once again!

Looks like im off to the lfs to get some dt's

Awesome, thanks for your help once again!

Looks like im off to the lfs to get some dt's

Just get the smallest size they have as it will last a long time.

Well I tested the water in my tank today and this is what I found out:

Calcium - 520 ppm (too high)

Carbonate Hardness - 11 dKH

Phosphates - 0 ppm

Nitrates - < 5 ppm

Salinity - 1.026 (a tad high)

PH - 8.0 (a little bit low)

Magnesium -1620 (extremely high)

I don't know what to do about the mag and calcium. Anyone have some ideas to lower these? I think my refractometer is calibrated wrong and my salinity is higher than what it really is. I used the 53.0 ms solution at the same temp as the tank to calibrate the refractometer but the screw is completely skrewed in so I don't know what is up with it. Might call Drsfostersmith early next week and see if I can get another.

Well I tested the water in my tank today and this is what I found out:

Calcium - 520 ppm (too high)

Carbonate Hardness - 11 dKH

Phosphates - 0 ppm

Nitrates - < 5 ppm

Salinity - 1.026 (a tad high)

PH - 8.0 (a little bit low)

Magnesium -1620 (extremely high)

I don't know what to do about the mag and calcium. Anyone have some ideas to lower these? I think my refractometer is calibrated wrong and my salinity is higher than what it really is. I used the 53.0 ms solution at the same temp as the tank to calibrate the refractometer but the screw is completely skrewed in so I don't know what is up with it. Might call Drsfostersmith early next week and see if I can get another.

People with larger tanks use two part solutions to deal with calc and mag levels. I have seen them used on nano tanks, but I don't think its really a good idea.

In nano tanks the best way to deal with mag and calc levels is to do regular 20-30% water changes with a high quality reef salt mix. I have heard the cheap reef salt can lead to screwy levels.

Well I use really good salt it's called red sea coral pro salt. We use it at my work and never had problems. That's why I was wondering if my refractometer was calibrated wrong because it would lead to more salt being added to my salt/RO mixture.

blizzardscout2

Hey Jon, I just followed your How to install Maxi-jet 900 Guide, you should add that to the new Biocube 14 Guide that was created.

Reese

WhiteVelvetStarfish

I agree, it's a great guide that helped me while I was a little unsure of what I was doing (turns out my water was too low and it kept spitting out air lol.

Hey Jon, I just followed your How to install Maxi-jet 900 Guide, you should add that to the new Biocube 14 Guide that was created.

Reese

I'll have to look into that. Thanks for following my maxi jet install.

I agree, it's a great guide that helped me while I was a little unsure of what I was doing (turns out my water was too low and it kept spitting out air lol.

Glad it helped everyone.

• 2 months later...

Well I think it has been long enough since an update. I'm finally updating this page because I am out of school and on spring break. So I FINALLY have time to post something. Anyways I have been very busy at school. Trying to finish up to transfer out.

For the tank:

I finally finished my 70watt MH and 2x18watt actinics. I had the hood on the tank for about 3 weeks and the corals didn't seem to like it too much. I have two zoas, a bubble coral, and some GSP. Everything was closed except the zoas. I decided to put my stock hood on two days ago and the bubble coral and GSP are already looking better. I don't know if I'm going to leave the stock hood or not. Any suggestions.

I took pics tonight with my girlfriends camera but I didn't have the camera to transfer the pictures over to the computer so everyone is going to have to wait. Sorry but that's the way it is sometimes. haha

Anyways stay posted I'm going to try to get on here more!

Happy Reefing!

Jon

Couldn't get the camera from my girlfriend tonight to upload pictures. I fed my bubble coral some mini mysis and it ate a lot. It looks like it is doing much better under the stock lights. Funny huh?

I thought the MH would make everything a lot happier but I guessed wrong.

I think I might need to change out my bulbs here in the next couple of weeks. I'll go ahead and order some from my work. I'm going to try and start stocking corals and watching them grow.

I want some colorful zoas to start with then some various LPS. Maybe a hammer or frogspawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I think I am going to end up taking my GSP and Bubble coral back to my work so that I can put my MH back up on my tank. I really like the look of them! I just realized I havn't even posted pics of the MH or my corals so I will need to do that shortly. I want to make a list of corals to get once I start putting a lot of corals in.

i just read it all, its lookin good, im plannin on using a 70 watt MH retro i just got and making a hood for my 12 gal eclipse (its bowed like the BC) just wondering how you built your hood with the 70 watter, and your going to have corals close up they just have to get used to the light, or you can screen the light at first

reece

i just read it all, its lookin good, im plannin on using a 70 watt MH retro i just got and making a hood for my 12 gal eclipse (its bowed like the BC) just wondering how you built your hood with the 70 watter, and your going to have corals close up they just have to get used to the light, or you can screen the light at first

reece

I'm going to get some screening for the tank to acclimate the lights and I also need some fans. I mounted the 70W MH next to the aluminum shielding which is in contact with the wood. It gets hot so I need to install a couple fans in the back I think.

So I have a to do list on my tank to get the halides back up and running.

Thinking of trading my bubble coral in and getting some LPS corals like a hammer or frogspawn coral.

I still have pictures on my girlfriends camera but I need the cord so I'll try to get those up by this weekend.

Happy Reefing

Jon

Well finally I have been able to get those pictures of my tank up and running. Here they are enjoy!

FTS to start it off

DSC01544.jpg

Some pics of my Zoas. Frag had 2 polyps but now it has 3!

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01548.jpg

Cleaner shrimp waiting for food to steal from the bubble coral.

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

Snail Pic

DSC01547.jpg

GSP

DSC01549.jpg

Clowns

DSC01561.jpg

FTS Different angles

DSC01558.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
nanoreef11

Time to celebrate!!! School is out and I am ready to move to Long Beach. I will be going to Cal State Long Beach next semester so if anyone is looking for a roomate, I need one.

Anyways with school finally out, I decided to take a couple of quick pictures of me new additions.

On Sunday the 10th I brought home diamond goby. I have been needing one because my sand has been collecting some purple slime algae. I havn't had a chance to fully clean it. Finals and everything has been keeping me busy.

On Monday the 11th I brought home some zoas. I believe that they are eagle eyes but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone can ID them for me that would be great.

Things to do:

Test water parameter

Do a water change and full cleaning

Add fans to my metal halide hood

Build new reflector for metal halide

Build screening to acclimate tank to new light

I hope to have the metal halides up this weekend. I had them up before but everything got shocked if though I decreased the lighting time. I learned that it needs to be the light intensity. I plan to get some things done this next week. Hopefully people chime into my thread as its been slow here.

You can see some algae on the glass which I need to clean off soon.

100_0003.jpg

New addition of what I believe are called eagle eyes.

100_0004.jpg

100_0008.jpg

My new sand cleaner haha. Diamond goby. He already made a home and it's hard to snap a pic of him. He likes it in there.

100_0007.jpg

My GSP is just taking off. I will need to trim it back in the next month or so. Good thing I can just pull the rock out and cut it off with a razor blade.

100_0005.jpg

100_0006.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay posted for an update this weekend on my final hood modifications.

I am also getting a used Sapphire Skimmer. It's in the mail and hopefully it's here next week!

nanoreef11

Does anyone know if those are eagle eyes or not?

I also have a question about my coralline algae. Where is it?

My tank has been setup for 9 months now and no coralline algae. My calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are always in the right range.

Can anyone direct me in getting some good coralline growth?

THEEGRIMREEFER

Those are eagle eyes IMO. For coralline algae to spread or appear faster get a really purple rock and put it in an area of high flow and it will seed to your other rocks, back wall, koralia etc... if done right in a week or two or three lol you would see many speckles of coralline that will eventually become bigger spots given that the calcium levels and are up to par and whatever else promotes the growth. thats what i did in my bc14 and now im getting really good coralline growth hth!

nanoreef11
Those are eagle eyes IMO. For coralline algae to spread or appear faster get a really purple rock and put it in an area of high flow and it will seed to your other rocks, back wall, koralia etc... if done right in a week or two or three lol you would see many speckles of coralline that will eventually become bigger spots given that the calcium levels and are up to par and whatever else promotes the growth. thats what i did in my bc14 and now im getting really good coralline growth hth!

Thanks for your input THEEGRIMREEFER.

I guess I need to find a coralline covered rock now haha.

I hoping to frag these zoas because the colony is a little big for my tank. I'm going to check into getting some more corals before I start selling some frags so it's not so limited on selection.

This weekend I will have my metal halides up so check back.

addicted2reefer

Congrats on that Diamond Goby, excellent sandsifter and just plain COOL to watch. Give em time he will be swimming around, watching you, moving rocks, yawning(or whatever they do when the open their mouths all crazy like). Next to my Yellow Clown Goby, the Diamond is my favorite, I wouldnt have a tank without one.

nanoreef11

Yea I used to have a diamond goby before my tank crashed and I don't know why I never got a new one. Haha well now I have one and I love him. Hopefully he isn't too big for my tank. And yes he is an excellent cleaner. I'm getting my skimmer in this week to help with the bioload. 3 fish in a 14 gallon biocube is a little much imo, which is why I didn't add a diamond goby immediately.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and work on my hood so stay tuned.

nanoreef11

Hey everyone I just got home from work. I am having to go to the hospital shortly because one of my family members is in the hospital and it doesn't look good so prayers for him.

Due to the fact I am visiting him in the hospital I will not be able to work on my hood tonight. So hopefully tomorrow after I finish golf golfing 18 holes in 102 degree heat, I might feel up to finishing my hood. I need to raise the metal halide off of the metal to wood contact so I need to build a mini reflector any suggestions?

Also when placing fans in the back should they blow in or out?

nanoreef11

Well I just got home from visiting at the hospital. I was able to get a couple of pics before I took off so I wanted to make sure I posted them.

Here is my diamond goby, finally out and about occasionally.

100_0013.jpg

You can see his home in the back there.

100_0014.jpg

100_0015.jpg

I also had a question about some brown coloring on my bubble coral. I might be taking it back to my work but I was just curious what it could be from.

100_0016.jpg

So it looks like the skimmer will be here on Monday. I'm going to try and get the hood done tomorrow night but don't count me on it.

Question: Should the fans blow in the hood or out?

Archived