Coral Vue Hydros

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

The Candy Cane Corals are really cool looking to. But yeah we all want to see that canopy finished!!! I want the mh lights and also want the closed lid so I am interested in what your finished product looks like. Keep up all the good work!!!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The light green algae youre seeing is most likey the early stages of purple coraline . My Purple coraline started as a lime green color at first then was followed by patches of purple covering the green . Tank looks nice man ...

The Candy Cane Corals are really cool looking to. But yeah we all want to see that canopy finished!!! I want the mh lights and also want the closed lid so I am interested in what your finished product looks like. Keep up all the good work!!!

Thanks Daisygirl, I have finals all this week so by midweek next week it should be completed finally. I hope condensation doesn't build inside the hood because my stock hood has been holding in some evaporation. I'm thinking about moving my tank to LPS corals instead of my original plan of SPS. I wish I had paypal so that I could buy some rics and zoas only just some frags or something.

Planning on adding a cleaner shrimp this week.

Hi Jon nice tank

I have the same tank but with the extra pc light upgrade. My tank is running at 80 degrees now in winter and i hate to see how hot it will run dureing our steaming humid summer months. I ordered a jbj mini chiller and was wondering which pump did you use for your chiller and where did you place it.

pics would be appreciated on where you placed your pump & chiller tubeing (s tube and u tube).

thxs for your reply

Cheers

Frank

Hi Jon nice tank

I have the same tank but with the extra pc light upgrade. My tank is running at 80 degrees now in winter and i hate to see how hot it will run dureing our steaming humid summer months. I ordered a jbj mini chiller and was wondering which pump did you use for your chiller and where did you place it.

pics would be appreciated on where you placed your pump & chiller tubeing (s tube and u tube).

thxs for your reply

Cheers

Frank

Hey Frank, I'm currently away from my tank but I will try to get pics up asap of my chiller setup. The oceanic chiller works very well with the rio800+. I have the pump in the first chamber with a u tube on it, then a u tube in the third chamber. For the ATO I use an s tube in the third chamber. I'll try my best to get you the pics but I have finals this week so it will be a little tough.

Any pics of your tank?

Jon

Very nice looking corals. How long has it been setup?

Thxs

This tank is set up now for 2 weeks the water, rock and live stock ( new sand bed )is a tranfer from a previous BC 14. I purchased used and leaked, I had the leaky tank set up for little over 1 month .

cheers

Frank

Thxs

This tank is set up now for 2 weeks the water, rock and live stock ( new sand bed )is a tranfer from a previous BC 14. I purchased used and leaked, I had the leaky tank set up for little over 1 month .

cheers

Frank

Looks like things are going along quite nice for you. I know I'm a little behind on coral additions but I'm waiting to finish this semester of school. 1 more day. Then my hood will be finished next week and corals will be going in. Thinking about getting some frags from other reefers on here even though I work at a fish store haha. I'm looking for some rics/yumas, zoas/paly, LPS. Anything with great color under a 70 watt MH bulb. I'm going to try and stay away from browns as they don't seem to stand out as much.

Anybody selling some corals for cheap that are willing to ship just PM me.

Looks like things are going along quite nice for you. I know I'm a little behind on coral additions but I'm waiting to finish this semester of school. 1 more day. Then my hood will be finished next week and corals will be going in. Thinking about getting some frags from other reefers on here even though I work at a fish store haha. I'm looking for some rics/yumas, zoas/paly, LPS. Anything with great color under a 70 watt MH bulb. I'm going to try and stay away from browns as they don't seem to stand out as much.

Anybody selling some corals for cheap that are willing to ship just PM me.

I only have a couple more days left of school also, then im going to finally get around to making that fuge light for my tank!

Cant wait to see ur light

I only have a couple more days left of school also, then im going to finally get around to making that fuge light for my tank!

If the pics aren't up by Saturday night then remind me so that I can take pics and put them on by Sunday morning. I will try to remember to take some pics/clean my tank on Saturday of today.

Hi Jon nice tank

thxs for your reply

Cheers

Frank

Hey frankyV, I managed to find some time and get those pictures for you of my chiller setup. I have my 1/10 hp Oceanic Chiller sitting on the ground next to my biocube 14 gallon. The tubes are connected with metal clamps (only on external tubes) and just fitted on the internal pump. A U-tube is connected (as shown in the 2nd picture) to a Rio+800. It is pushed down almost all the way down in chamber 1. As for the return, it bypasses the fuge area and gets pumped into chamber 3. The 3rd picture shows an S tube (for ATO) and a U tube (for chiller return). I originally had the S tube on the chiller return but it kept splashing water around and decided to put a U tube on instead. Hope the pictures help you out.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Jon

Hey jeremycee, I got some pictures of my light for you. Its very easy to do. Just buy the following:

Gang box (electrical section, blue box)

Lamp cord (Ceiling fan/lamp section, end aisle)

Lamp socket (Ceiling fan/lamp section, end aisle)

Acrylic cover piece

Light Bulb (around 5k-6k preferred)

Skrews

Something to cut off plastic edges on Gang box

Velcro

First off scrape the back of your glass to the size you preffer.

Just take your gang box, trim up the sides and cut your acrylic to size. Then cut a notch at the bottom for the wire to fit. Then assemble the lamp cord and lamp socket and place in box. Then skrew in the light bulb, and cover with the acrylic. Skrew the acrylic to the gang box. Place velcro on acrylic piece and tank glass and enjoy. Your fuge light done in less than 30 minutes.

Attached are the pics with light over spill as well.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Jon

Well I do have a new addition. It's a skunk cleaner shrimp. While I acclimated him, I decided to do a water change. He seemed to go in well and is hanging out under a rock near the front. Here are some new updated pictures of my tank.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Happy Reefing

Jon

Well I do have a new addition. It's a skunk cleaner shrimp. While I acclimated him, I decided to do a water change. He seemed to go in well and is hanging out under a rock near the front. Here are some new updated pictures of my tank.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Happy Reefing

Jon

Awesome shrimp! i have updated pics of my sunpod finally, it fits quite nice

Things are looking good! Are you gonna gift yourself some corals for Christmas?! Cant wait to see what you add next!

Reese

I want to add some corals but need to finish my lights. I thought I would be able to finish it this week but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Got some extra hours at my LFS because I'm on break so kinda hesitant on adding any corals. I want some rics but idk if my work can get them in. Maybe after christmas I will see if anyone on here is willing to ship them to me as I finally have a paypal account but hardly know how to use it. Anyways until my lights are hooked up I will not be adding anything. Livestock is done, just need to see about corals, probably LPS. Any other suggestions?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have a plan to finish my lights this weekend and order some corals on monday. We get a shipment in on Tuesdays so I need to decide what I want to order. I have been wanting some rics but we can never seem to get them in. I also want some small frags of zoas and maybe a gps colony.

I don't know much about the requirements to get lps corals to grow well. Any input here? Any suggestions on types of corals to order for a beginner?

• 2 weeks later...

Updates on coral additions:

12/30 - small zoa frag added with 3 polyps. Now it has 2 polyps and aren't opening.

1/02 - I added a bubble coral and green star polyps which are doing very well.

1/03 - Long tentacle plate coral added. Ended up dying this morning and removed it.

1/07 - I removed the plate coral and did a 2 gallon water change.

I am hoping to order some more corals from my work. Doesn't look like we can get any rics so if anyone on here is selling some pm me.

Made some progress on the lights but need to buy some different screws. I have short ones and really long ones so I need some in between. I have the metal plate mounted and the ballasts. Just need to screw down the light connectors and I will be finished.

Updates on coral additions:

12/30 - small zoa frag added with 3 polyps. Now it has 2 polyps and aren't opening.

1/02 - I added a bubble coral and green star polyps which are doing very well.

1/03 - Long tentacle plate coral added. Ended up dying this morning and removed it.

1/07 - I removed the plate coral and did a 2 gallon water change.

I am hoping to order some more corals from my work. Doesn't look like we can get any rics so if anyone on here is selling some pm me.

Made some progress on the lights but need to buy some different screws. I have short ones and really long ones so I need some in between. I have the metal plate mounted and the ballasts. Just need to screw down the light connectors and I will be finished.

nice to see some updates, have been following since i started my biocube......sorry to hear about your plate

nice to see some updates, have been following since i started my biocube......sorry to hear about your plate

Thank you for your support splitskater.

I got home tonight and found that my bubble coral was deflated. I don't know what could be wrong as I just did a water change this morning. I'm going to check the water parameters in the morning as it seems like it is hard for me to keep corals. I hope this one really pulls through though.

I just fed my bubble coral some mini mysis so hopefully he puffs up by tomorrow morning. I am wondering if he is stressed from the plate coral dying this morning. Just a though.

Anyone have any suggestions to stop losing corals. I did remove my chemi pure elite bag this morning as it wasn't fitting well in StevieT's media basket. I'm sure that the 5 ounce size will fit perfect and hope to get it in my tank tomorrow. Supposed to be getting it in my work tomorrow.

Gonna pickup some new 3/4" tubing for the chiller as one of the fitting started to leak when I mo we the tank to my dresser.

Hope to have the lights done by the end of the week and start accoimating the new corals to the light. Probably going to start with about 4 hours of metal halide for two days then move onto 6 hours of metal halides for two days and then possibly 8 hours a day. I don't really know how to acclimate corals to new lights. Any advice on this part? Hopefully I still have corals by the time my lights are finally finished.

I didn't make it to the hardware store to pick up the new screws but tomorrow afternoon I will.

Hopefully everyone elses reef tanks are coming along nicely as I am struggling a little bit here but hopefully I will get the hang of it.

Happy reefing

Jon

I am not sure why you are losing corals. It is possible that the water was contaminated by something on your hands and it is sticking in the water. I read an article on here once where a guy got some gasoline on his hands and forgot to wash up before reaching in his tank and it killed everything and contaminated his equipment.

I am not sure why you are losing corals. It is possible that the water was contaminated by something on your hands and it is sticking in the water. I read an article on here once where a guy got some gasoline on his hands and forgot to wash up before reaching in his tank and it killed everything and contaminated his equipment.

I'm usually pretty good at keeping my hands clean but then again you never know. The open brain drag that I have has been in there for a while and doing great.

I hope this is t the case because then I would I have to start all over. I have my 2 true percs and a cleaner shrimp in there that are doing excellent.

I don't know what it could be. I'm going to test the water in a little bit and re alibrate my refractometer. The solution is supposed to be the same temperature as the tank correct?

Thanks for everyone help as I'm just struggling to find answers.

Jon

Just looked at my tank this morning and the bubble coral is doing excellent. It's about half inflated because the lights are off and I know when the lights come on that it will be fully inflated. So I am guessing that the mini mysis that I fed it last night made it happy again. Should I be feeding it daily?every other day? Twice a week? Once a week? I spot feed it with the pumps off for about 5-10 minutes and use about a 1/4 of a frozen cube.

Looks like this coral is gonna make. Still need to test the water parameters to make sure.

Just looked at my tank this morning and the bubble coral is doing excellent. It's about half inflated because the lights are off and I know when the lights come on that it will be fully inflated. So I am guessing that the mini mysis that I fed it last night made it happy again. Should I be feeding it daily?every other day? Twice a week? Once a week? I spot feed it with the pumps off for about 5-10 minutes and use about a 1/4 of a frozen cube.

Looks like this coral is gonna make. Still need to test the water parameters to make sure.

How do you spot feed a coral? Should i be doing this to my moon polyps?

I had a frag with 2 moon polyps on it and now their is one and it is starting to flatten out, any tips on what i should be doing here? All of my other corals are doing fine.

Sorry to hear about the plate

Archived