SaltCritters.com

my 40 breeder...

glennr1978

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spring break isn't 3 weeks long, lol. Jk, hows the tank?

it is if you live in a tourist town. in fact, it's just now starting to wind down and get back to normal around here.

the tank looks like crap. i pretty much cooked alot of my sps, and absolutely every frag I had on my frag rack (about 30 frags total, most were good ones too :angry: ). i made quite the noob mistake and didn't acclimate the tank to the new lighting. who would've thought that two little 150's would fry everything like they have. needless to say, i cut my photoperiod back quite a bit. i'm confident that all of my colonies will recover, but the frags that were on the rack are toast. i'm easily out $600+ because of my stupidity.

since that happened i've either been too busy, or am truly just over reefing. the jury is still out on that one. i just did my first water change in a month earlier today, and on more than one occassion i've forgotten to change the filter floss in my sump for a week or more. i typically have to replace it every 3 days, so, yeah.....

my mc coskers wrasse died yesterday too. i'm really not sure why, though. had i paid more attention to the tank this past month i may have noticed something wrong.

om a brighter note, i've started a new dosing routine that seems to be working pretty well. i'm dosing Brightwells' "coral color", elos HCAA, and lugols (1 drop every ~3 days). i'm definitely seeing positive results in the corals that have been unaffected by my acclimation f#ck up.

Nick's Reef

Sorry to hear about the corals glenn, I had forgot to test my sg for awhile only to find it sky high yesterday, only reason i tested was my A. aborholensis RTN'd. :angry: Hopefully your corals will come back.

ohhh no! thats not good glen!! im really sorry that things have turned out like that!!! but you started from basically nothing, to produce one of the sweetest 40breeders around! and im sure it will all turn for the better, and be back to its glorious state!!! good luck brodda!!

chill out, have a beer, water change, and have another beer!! :P

gulfsurfer101

That blows man, I can relate since all my really expensive frags melted away when I moved and I kinda wanted to throw in the towel then. I'm shure now that things have settled back down for you you'll be back into it in no time.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it.

I was bored today and shot a little video of the tank. It's not very good, but it's cool because the tank doesn't look all that hot right now anyway!

(today).

Sucks about your tank Glenn. Sounds like you've gotten a little bogged down. Maybe you should try to simplify some things up and scale down a bit. IDK :huh:

Sucks about your tank Glenn. Sounds like you've gotten a little bogged down. Maybe you should try to simplify some things up and scale down a bit. IDK :huh:

funny that you say that, that's kinda what I've been thinking. I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me set up a 125g (I'm getting close too!). I want to keep it really open with just minimal LR in the display. I would probably keep less than 20 SPS in the tank and just let them grow HUGE. Less corals + 3x's the water volume = less headaches.

funny that you say that, that's kinda what I've been thinking. I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me set up a 125g (I'm getting close too!). I want to keep it really open with just minimal LR in the display. I would probably keep less than 20 SPS in the tank and just let them grow HUGE. Less corals + 3x's the water volume = less headaches.

Sounds like a good plan. Minimalist ftw!!! Should be easy to sell your stuff and upgrade.

Sounds like a good plan. Minimalist ftw!!! Should be easy to sell your stuff and upgrade.

Yeah, but I plan to transfer over all the good stuff. All I really need is the tank, stand, canopy, and a bigger sump. I can still use my lights (plus my old 250w), skimmer, and controller. I also have a big enough pump for a return on a 125g.

Basically I'm all set, I just need to get the go ahead from Momma.

looks really good.Do you have a stock list of fish?

keep updates coming

yep, there is a list of my fish on the first post of the thread....minus the mccoskers wrasse which died a few days ago :( .

Yeah, but I plan to transfer over all the good stuff. All I really need is the tank, stand, canopy, and a bigger sump. I can still use my lights (plus my old 250w), skimmer, and controller. I also have a big enough pump for a return on a 125g.

I suppose I could do the same thing except next time I think I'm going open top.........maybe.

I suppose I could do the same thing except next time I think I'm going open top.........maybe.

I like wrasses so it's canopies for me.

Do you dip with iodine? if so which kind?

nah, I don't ever dip anything. I probably should have since in the last 6 months I've had redbugs, and monti eating nudi's. Both of which have since been irradicated.

I do dose 1 drop of lugols every ~3 days. It definitely helps some of my SPS coloring, and the zoos and palys love the stuff.

gulfsurfer101

I would do it. Get the go ahead already and set it up. I wanted to get another 250w and set up a 70br but that's always a possiblity for the future.

I would do it. Get the go ahead already and set it up. I wanted to get another 250w and set up a 70br but that's always a possiblity for the future.

You just want my tank :D !!! Which I will be selling when the time for a bigger system comes (won't be for a while though). I'm going to buy a 125 whenever I find a good deal on one. It will probably just sit in my garage until my wife and I figure out whether or not we are going to stay here in Corpus.

In other news, I ditched the GFO and chaeto in my tank today and started dosing vodka. I've seen way too many pics over on RC that show serious improvements in peoples' tanks to not try it myself.

Archived