ReefCleaners.org

my 40 breeder...

glennr1978

Nick's Reef

yeah, vodka dosing turns out some crazy colors, I'm going to try it on my tank but not vodka, brightwell has some stuff that's the equivalent to dosing vodka. Also get some two little fishes coral revive and dip all new sps in it, that stuff is the bomb for killing nasty hitchhikers like red bugs and nudis.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, vodka dosing turns out some crazy colors, I'm going to try it on my tank but not vodka, brightwell has some stuff that's the equivalent to dosing vodka. Also get some two little fishes coral revive and dip all new sps in it, that stuff is the bomb for killing nasty hitchhikers like red bugs and nudis.

Yeah i've seen the brightwells stuff, but I've already got the vodka on hand and it seems simple enough (even for me, lol).

I'm not worried about nudi's or redbugs anymore. My tank is free of both now, and I'm not adding anymore corals so I should be okay. However, if and when I set up a new tank I will DEFINITELY dip everything that goes in the tank, and will most likely have a QT tank as well.

i'm on day 5 of the vodka experiment. skimmate is looking a bit darker than usual, and the water is DEFINITELY clearerererer.

no noticeable change in corals yet, but it's still early.

We used the Brightwell stuff and it seems to have cleared up the tank and everything is looking real good. I think it is suppose to be a little more natural than the vodka but who knows. :huh:

how much vodka do you dose with? OH and i may have a 125 for you in the NEAR future

i'm at .4ml right now, but only through tomorrow. then it jumps up to .9ml. i'm assuming i will start seeing some noticeable difference in another week or so????

are you going to bring the 125 to tx for me?

We used the Brightwell stuff and it seems to have cleared up the tank and everything is looking real good. I think it is suppose to be a little more natural than the vodka but who knows. :huh:

what exactly are you dosing?

Can you put vodka in your top off so it will auto dose it?

I have absolutely no idea, sorry!

I do know that the dosage needs to be pretty accurate so I would say that no, it probably shouldn't be added to top off water, since it can fluctuate.

i'm at .4ml right now, but only through tomorrow. then it jumps up to .9ml. i'm assuming i will start seeing some noticeable difference in another week or so????

are you going to bring the 125 to tx for me?

yea ill strap it to my bike :) either that OR i might convince my brother to take a road trip (btw the 125 would come with EVERYTHING rock sand and maybe a little live stock too)

Just a canopy will not stop a wrasse from breakdancing.

true, but it will keep the little bastages from carpet surfing. that's why i added the egg crate to the back of the canopy.

DSC02251.jpg

yea ill strap it to my bike :) either that OR i might convince my brother to take a road trip (btw the 125 would come with EVERYTHING rock sand and maybe a little live stock too)

i'm only looking for a tank / stand / canopy combo. thanks anyway :) .

You should have said "fully closed canopy" :)

i'm lazy.

This is what she started to use. She puts a cap full in the afternoon. She just started to cut down on the dose as the slime is almost all gone. On the back of the bottle it states that this product is used to replace the vodka method. It says that it binds everything (Phosphate and Nitrate) together so your sponges and other living things like corals can you it as a food source.

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

Just came home and my halides were still on, oops. I had to turn them on manually a little early today for a wc and i obviously forgot to switch my controller back to auto. So my lights were on for a good ~14 hours, way to go me. I don't think I did any damage since everything looked fine, just kinda stupid on my part.

In other news, I'm on day 9 of vodka dosing and so far so good. I'm dosing .9 ml and my water is rediculously clear and my skimmer is really starting to kick in to overdrive. Nothing noteworthy happening to the corals yet, but I don't expect much for the first month.

Clear water eh? My tank looks cloudy, I think its the change in flow from the mp20 but I figured it would have cleared up by now. Glad it's all working for you. How's the evap on your tank?

Clear water eh? My tank looks cloudy, I think its the change in flow from the mp20 but I figured it would have cleared up by now. Glad it's all working for you. How's the evap on your tank?

i honestly don't know. i'd say my tank evaps about 1g a day, give or take. How much does yours evap?

throw some carbon in your sump, that should clear up your water. then start dosing vodka for double the clarity. my wife pays absolutely no attention to my tank (obviously or she would have called me to tell me that the freakin' halides were still on at 11:00 when they should have turned off at 7:30), and she even noticed how much the water has cleared up without me saying anything to her about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Your tank is looking great!

Nice canopy build too - you guys are making it hard for me to be tankless....

Looks like the ploy worked Glenn.

my tank now consumes 1.8ml of vodka daily, should i call a.a.?. so far so good, starting to see some things with better coloring. pics eventually.

Looks like the ploy worked Glenn.

funny how things work sometimes. seeing as how Tj's tanks have always been inspirational to me.

Archived