SaltCritters.com

disaster's custom 20gal

disaster999

Wow Looking good. Great pictures too!

What return pump are you using on this setup? Mine is very similar to yours but I couldnt deal with the microbubbles I was getting with a quiet one 2200 and had to use a filter sock. Plus im using a 10g sump and im not sure what yours is.

Now I switched to a quiet one 1200 without a filter sock but I need a bit more flow.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
disaster999

im using a quiet one 3000 pump. have the return T-ed off so the flow partially goes to the chiller and returns back to the return chamber.

my return is a herbie style so i have a valve on the drain pipe to reduce the flow to the point where no air gets into the pipes for a totally silent operation but still keeping up with the return flow.

if you look a few pages back, i custom made the sump to fit my stand. the sump is roughly around 18X12X10. the bubble traps helps cut down the microbubbles a lot.

Oh ok that makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

How are you liking the cardinal? Thinking of getting one or two just dont know if my sixline will like it.

disaster999
Oh ok that makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

How are you liking the cardinal? Thinking of getting one or two just dont know if my sixline will like it.

hes a really nice fish that just chills in the open area and not move much. very peaceful but might need some spot feedings as i havent really seen him compete with the 2 other clownfish for food.

im not sure if the 6 line would become aggressive towards it tho. i guess monitor the fish for the first few days and if theres any sign of aggression might want to fish out and return it

Im pretty sure the little brown things are flatworms.

Fantastic BTW!

-texx

YUPPP..thats it..just looks like what i have. THANKS.

although i dont see any ill effect on any of my corals yet, not sure if i like to keep them around or not. i will have to see

definitly a very nice looking tank... the hand made and new custom are some of the nicest.

definitly a very nice looking tank... the hand made and new custom are some of the nicest.

Beautiful tank, I love the corner overflow, I think I'm definitely building my 10 gallon with a similar design. I'd love to see it with the back painted, that'd really finish it off.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

thanks! im getting the back black somehow. just need to get my lazy ass to get some black vinyl and it'll be all set

just a quick non picture intensive update, the SPS frag is doing pretty well. it started to encrust the epoxy and slowly spreading. everything is growing very well. i went and bought a few fish for the tank. mostly chromis so the tank isnt that "boring" as my parents would say. they wanted more fish in it so theres some movement making it more lively. they were dirt cheap so what the hell.

took a quick and dirty shot of my zoa garden im trying to grow

DSC_1568.jpg

and heres a new project im working on

DSC_1581.jpg

Oooo! nice! Don't point a nozzle at that sps!!!

I think this new tank is deserving of a new stand!

tagging along to see how that skimmer turns out

disaster999
Oooo! nice! Don't point a nozzle at that sps!!!

I think this new tank is deserving of a new stand!

dont worry, the nozzle isnt blasting at the SPS

i agree with the new stand tho. definitely needs a new one. but that wont happen until later.

tagging along to see how that skimmer turns out

im eager to see how this skimmer works out too! keep you posted

disaster999

after setting everything up i got the skimmer running

DSC_1602.jpg

im not really impressed with the performance. its not producing enough bubbles and after a few research i found out my venturi design is flawed so i need to further modify it. stay tuned. hopefully it will work a lot better

disaster999

its a small 3gal tank. works great and easy storage when not needed.

some updates. new FTS

DSC_1615.jpg

this thing is growing nicely

DSC_1597.jpg

Just found this thread and i must say it's a beautiful tank, i totally love black silicone lol.

thanks =) im loving the back too. im glad i didnt pick clear

I like your Zoos....as well as the entire tank.

thanks =) i need to acquire more different color zoas and make my tank more colorful =)

disaster999

after a month +, i finally got the background of my tank stuck and sure made my tank look nicer. not distracted by the hoses and the corner of the wall

DSC_1774.jpg

and some random shots

DSC_1783.jpg

DSC_1792.jpg

what fish is this?

DSC_1785.jpg

new fish...bi-color blenny. this guy better get to work and start eating

DSC_1796.jpg

finally, what is this?

DSC_1788.jpg

after a month +, i finally got the background of my tank stuck and sure made my tank look nicer. not distracted by the hoses and the corner of the wall

DSC_1774.jpg

and some random shots

DSC_1783.jpg

DSC_1792.jpg

what fish is this?

DSC_1785.jpg

new fish...bi-color blenny. this guy better get to work and start eating

DSC_1796.jpg

finally, what is this?

DSC_1788.jpg

i mis my chromis

the first fish u asked bout looks like a yellow damsel, cba to type the scientific name, they arent too aggressive but thats just ime

lastly they look like hydroids, they might sting corals im not sure a FW dip on affected rock or something similar should fix them before they spread

disaster999

thanks, did a search and it is a yellow damsel. i was trying so hard not to get one, but this doesnt look like any other damsels ive seen. so far it only chase some of the fish around and havent constantly pick on them, but i will take it out if it starts to. gonna be a ##### catching it tho.

thanks, did a search and it is a yellow damsel. i was trying so hard not to get one, but this doesnt look like any other damsels ive seen. so far it only chase some of the fish around and havent constantly pick on them, but i will take it out if it starts to. gonna be a ##### catching it tho.

IME damsels arent aggressive unless not fed enough, and if not given enough territory, if it gets a bit boisterish try feeding heavier first

disaster999

thanks for the tip. i did notice it eats like a PIG. zooming across the tank end to end just to catch the floating pellets. it did try to pick a fight with my bicolor blenny, but couldnt really get into a confrontation because the blenny was inside the rocks.

he has his own little island that he owns, the one on the right hand side, but he seems like he wants the whole tank to himself.

i will have to take him out if hes going to cause more trouble to my blenny.

Archived