Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

disaster's custom 20gal

disaster999

disaster999
looking nice! And when you make that skimmer... Make two haha!

IF i do make one..ill think about it :P

wow that looks sweet

thanks =) im stoked!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
disaster999

just wondering, should i paint the back of the tank black...or leave it clear? i cant decide...i kinda want this elos feel to the tank, but if i leave it clear you can see the return hoses

JMHO, but I think paint the back. Maybe look through the FTS thread to see tanks with backs painted & not, then decide what you like better.

• 2 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

disaster,

I liked your 10K light look better, the white light...that was awesome.

I know you want those colors to glow, but to me that natural white light is better.

What did you decide on the back of the new tank, did you paint it?

just wondering, should i paint the back of the tank black...or leave it clear? i cant decide...i kinda want this elos feel to the tank, but if i leave it clear you can see the return hoses

new tank looks great!

IMO i don't think you would be disappointed with painting the back wall black. the biggest mistake i made, when i had my previous 55 gallon tank, was leaving the back glass clear. you could see all of the power cords, equipment, etc. it is also not condusive for photography, to NOT have a solid color background. \

my new tank (modded and rebuilt from the very tank you built a while ago) has a black background and i love it!

jm$.02 though.

good luck,

dan

disaster999

went ahead and setup the tank this weekend. didnt paint the back black YET. going to get some vinyl sheets and cover the back black. dont have krylon fusion here and dont know what paint is tank safe.

the process could of went better, didnt have enough buckets to save enough tank water so i ran out in the middle...heres a picture of it half filled...or half empty however you want to look at it =P with actinics.

DSC_1347.jpg

after waiting what seems to feel like forever for the 5gal bucket to fill...finally got the tank fully running. heres a shot of it filled with micro bubbles as i left the chiller return line suspended in mid air causing slashes inside the return chamber and creating a micro bubble storm

DSC_1357.jpg

disaster999

what still need to be done is media rack that goes inside the overflow. the water instead of trickling down the walls of the overflow....is "jetting" out of the teeths creating a HUGE water fall sound. right now i just have filter floss stuffed in there to quiet it down.

disaster999

snapped more pictures when i got home

heres the mess i left yesterday

DSC_1360.jpg

here is it after around 2 hours of rock-scaping

DSC_1362.jpg

some close ups

DSC_1364.jpg

DSC_1363.jpg

DSC_1365.jpg

disaster999
Nice color on that clam. Tank is looking good. B)

thanks lani, i was surprised how much color that clam had too :D

I really like you tank it is very nice.

thanks im really liking this tank too.

wow what a great looking tank!

and IMO if you have clams in there, im sure you can support SPS.

y not try a stag acro or some montipora and see how it does?

Do you have some friends you can split it with?

2 of my cousins and I usually buy ricordea rocks that way and split it 3 ways. We get really nice coral for lower prices that way.

disaster999

ill see what i can do...probably shop around more and see if i can find small frags. or probably beg on the local forums =P

ive always wanted to try, but i cant get pinky sized frags...they sell then in colonies!!!!!

Mail them to me, jokingly! HAHA

Lawrie, nice to see your tank taking shape! Remember I told you about my tank getting hit with nuds, FW dips seem to be doing the work. The frags you sent me are healing well :D

Keep up with this one! and PLEASE COME TO SINGAPORE THIS CHRISTMAS! haha! :D

-MJ

disaster999

haha..ill try and find some spare time and more importantly...$$$$$$ and see if can come to sing again =)

this tank is definitely a keeper. i'll keep you guys posted!

anyways, im starting to stock this tank up with fish. just wondering what kind i should go with. went to the fish street yesterday and i was unimpressed with the selection they had last night. the shops i want to buy fish from was closed and the other shop only have firefish, 6lines, some diamond and yellow watchmen goby etc.

i saw a tail spotted blenny that i fell inlove with, but the shop was closed so i couldnt get it last night

p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg

im also thinking of getting a yashia goby if they have them in stock

how about a school of chromis. i think it would look pretty cool, but not sure if i have sufficient space. any suggestions?

NP bro, I am sure you will find a way to make it to Singapore here :happy:

anyway, just an update,

yesterday there was a so-called US zoa shipment that came to my side of town. Went down first hand to see it, only to find all of the stock are actually from Hong Kong! Bloody cheatty bugs! :angry: alot of which looked very close to what you sent me but nonetheless, I still bought 2! Under orders from some friends. haha (:

Edit: I also came to realise that orange-orange eagle eyes are highly sought after in my town. Wanna send me somemore? hahah :D and I will try to get my friend to do my paypal thingy. We have been busy amidst this economic crunch :(

About your tank bro, I think you should go ahead and get that blenny. Yasha will be equally fantastic, but I will not give thumb up for chromis. For chromis, they school but in captivity, more often than nought, I see them running around the tank alone. I think cardinals are great instead. Get those single dot red cardinals. One of the guys here has a school of them. I think it's Dave*something*. Check them out :)

Cardinals simply rox! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc

disaster999

hey marc, i went and got a cardinal, without even reading your post first :D didnt get the red dots ones tho, got a black and whiteish silvery one. looks pretty cool in my tank. too bad he lingers BEHIND a rock and not in the open so i dont get to see him much

DSC_1395.jpg

i would send you some more of those zoas,...but do you want to risk the sleepless nights worrying about it? :P

ill try and see if i can get them to grow on some plastic plates i have so i can ship them WITHOUT any live rock =)

also got a black clown with orange face. i think they are just black clown, it somewhat got along with my other clown, some fighting, but im sure it will subside really soon. got a huge chunk of his fin missing tho, oh well. ill just let them be. cant get a decent picture of it because they MOVE TOO FAST

lastly i got a freebie Acropora-millipora frag. i saw a tiny frag of it on the bottom of the tank. pretty sure it was broken off when the main colony was knocked over and one of the tip got chipped off. i asked the owner if hes selling that. want to try SPS and see if i can keep it in my tank. first timer and dont want to kill of an entire colony and waste my money if i couldnt keep it alive.he said hes gonna give it to me for free!! sweet! :happy: but i feel kinda bad having him give it away, so i bought some purple epoxy puddy so i can mount the frag :D it seem to open up a bit in my tank, im not sure if its doing good or not. i read about it liking alternating current. i will get a SCWD sometime later so ill see if he likes it better. but heres a pic of it from last night

DSC_1396.jpg

should i be point a nozzle at it?

Reef Lobster

Love your tank! It's been nice watching it progress! Wish we had those prices here in the states, and I'm completely jealous of your LFS. Great job, keep it up :)

disaster999

thanks! you should definitely come visit sometime.

took some new coral shots and the SPS. i hope its doing good!

DSC_1398.jpg

DSC_1403.jpg

DSC_1404.jpg

DSC_1413.jpg

either red people eater, or orange envy...not sure what they are but very cool non the less

DSC_1397.jpg

DSC_1412.jpg

lastly...wtf are these tiny flaky things all over the place?

DSC_1405.jpg

Archived