Cultivated Reef

disaster's custom 20gal

disaster999

Great shots! I just got a 18-135mm for my D60 and so far I love it. Great walking around lens though. I also have a Sigma 70mm Macro and works very nice.

Where can I get one of those NAC3 online? The smallest I saw from them was the nac6 but this is just great! I wish this one had the small reaction chamber with the diffuser like the larger ones

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had the D80 kit with the 18-135mm before. decent lens until i switched to the 18-200mm VR. that lens is a better all round lens and the VR is a plus. sold that to get the pro series 17-55mm :D

cadlight has custom nac3 skimmer for their revised line of 39 signature series. it features a bubble/diffuser plate and a smaller footprint. the pump is placed under the skimmer instead of beside it.

i dont know where you can get the nac3 online at the moment. but im sure it will be available soon.

Thanks! That NAC3 from cadlights looks very nice. That bubble plate was no exactly what I was thinking, but still nice. Looks like tit will be available for november. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know what this bubble plate actually does? i originally thought the water was getting shot up into it to distribute it around and reduce turbulence, but that's not how it works. water is just shot straight up into the skimmer. so, what's the point of the plate?

18-200mm VR lens = would be nice. i thought since they came out with the 18-200mm VR-II, the price would drop for the first version. sadly, it has not (i guess because there were no major improvements between the new version and the old -- just a 'zoom lock' or whatever). as it is, i am still stuck with the 18-135mm and that's it. i've been thinking about getting a faster prime lens for my aquarium shooting. what's your experience been/recommendation with the different lenses you've tried?

well not only they fixed some of the minor problems with the old lens (lens creep, the barrel will slide down if you are partially zoomed) the vibration reduction is beefed up too. before it allows 2 stop slower, but the VR-II allows 4 steps.

if you want a lens strictly for aquarium shooting, you cant beat the 105mm VR. the best lens ive tried so far. i have the 60mm macro and its decent, but you got to be pretty close to the subject to get good macro shots, and sometimes its pretty hard in a tank. i really regret getting the 60mm over the 105mm.

as for the skimmer, i dont have an answer for you. i THINK its just to deflect the bubbles to return to the sump maybe? but from the looks if your tank thread, doesnt seem to be doing its job. i think its best if you message cadlight about it

not really. im just setting it aside right now. ive got projects and midterms coming up (grad school) so after those are done, ill get this thing started. stay tuned

been a month since my last big purchase...just got paid again so i finished up buying all the equipment for my setup

Hailea HC-100a Chiller

2800047762_a995c47dce.jpg

Fishneedit look alike T5HO 4x24w light. Modded it so i can run off 2 power cords and timmer

2800052614_3a1d26726f.jpg

FTS

2800050604_aea4b55a07.jpg

Overall tank and equipment shot

2799205757_a51ef417a6.jpg

as you can see...my water was at 29.1C which is around 84.56F. thats without the light ,the sun was set and 2 fan blowing across the water in the sump. after less than 2 hours, the chiller brought the tank down to 26C, or 78F.

so far im really impressed with the chiller, at $167 its a whole lot cheaper than jbj or current usa. sure you might think...MADE IN USA YO...but hailea is the best chinese made chiller available and the local rave about this chiller. one complaint is that i wish it was a little bit quieter. it wasnt as quiet as what ive read about it.

That is a huge chiller! :) I like...i will probably need one for my 28g jbj nano HQI

according to its website, its a 1/20hp chiller capable for 50-220L of water. its a nice chiller, but a bit on the noisy side. if its in a bed room living room, it can become a problem

got 2 new clams so i decided to take some pics.

the one in the middle is the one i always had. the 2 on the side of it are the new ones. cost me 20 bucks for the 2 clams

DSC_3264.JPG

better shot of the clam on the right

DSC_3266.JPG

while i was taking pics of the clams, might as well take some other shots as well

check out the growth of this birdnest

DSC_3187.JPG

if anyone remember how small my clown fish were when i go them...

DSC_2347.JPG

and this them right now 5 months later

DSC_3185.JPG

DSC_3205.JPG

Wow clowns are awesome and those clams for $20??? WTF? ahaha thats a great deal!

BTW, I ended up buying the NAC7 Skimmer. Still waiting for it though :D

got 2 new clams so i decided to take some pics.

the one in the middle is the one i always had. the 2 on the side of it are the new ones. cost me 20 bucks for the 2 clams

DSC_3264.JPG

better shot of the clam on the right

DSC_3266.JPG

that, sir, is unbelievable. $20? beautiful clams. i am so jealous.

that, sir, is unbelievable. $20? beautiful clams. i am so jealous.

im surprised about the price as well. when i first bought my clam, it was more than $20 each. now i can get 2 for the same price. somehow the price of clam dropped so much

I like those purple and green acan's look nice get some nice close shoots of those with the actinics on

will do, ill see if i have time this weekend

i can't exactly determine the size of those clams from your picture, but i think those exact ones are available at my LFS for $250.00 - they are about 6".

(granted, my LFS is pricey, but still).

im surprised about the price as well. when i first bought my clam, it was more than $20 each. now i can get 2 for the same price. somehow the price of clam dropped so much

will do, ill see if i have time this weekend

i can't exactly determine the size of those clams from your picture, but i think those exact ones are available at my LFS for $250.00 - they are about 6".

(granted, my LFS is pricey, but still).

the new clam are about 3-4 inches

as requested, here are some shots of the acan and sun coral

DSC_3270.JPG

DSC_3282.JPG

DSC_3287.JPG

and while i have my camera out, would be a shame if i didnt take more

actinic shots

DSC_3275.JPG

DSC_3276.JPG

DSC_3278.JPG

DSC_3281.JPG

this is a long lost freebie i got from a shop. i was buying an SPS frag and saw this zoa chilling in a corner. i asked if i can have that little piece too and he just threw it in the bag with the SPS. i just dropped it in the tank on some rubble and it disappeared a few days later. months later, it showed it up again. this time i glued it down for good.

DSC_3299.JPG

someone on the forum i frequent is giving out 2 huge colonies of pink acro milli since its taking up way too much space in his 6' tank. the colonies are 8" and 12". another forum member quickly said he'll take it, and started fragging it out and is GIVING the frags away to people. lucky i got in the deal quick enough and went to get the frags today. at first he was thinking there should be enough for 7 people, but turns out the pieces are so big theres at least enough for 10-12 people. since my tank is still small, and my big tank isnt setup yet, i dont have any room to house the huge piece. so i end up taking the small pieces and any other frags that broke off during the fragging process.

here are the frags i got today. their colors are kind brown. i heard the person was running it in a zeovit system before. hopefully it will color up pretty nicely after a while in my tank.

DSC_3296.JPG

DSC_3297.JPG

DSC_3304.JPG

DSC_3300.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived