Cultivated Reef

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

NOT MY TANK....but look at what we can aspire to. The aquarium of Daniela Stettler:

sun20corals.jpg

Where is the link to what this tank is fed, AWESOME.

sublime1996525
Here is a picture of my black sun coral, an old picture from right after I got it. I havent really taken a new one of it yet.

IMG_3893.jpg

Ok that is awesome!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had my sun coral now for over two years... I feed it at least once a week and it looks great.. but it hasn't spread at all....I can't believe some of these tanks... they are spreading like zoas!!! What's the secret?

I have had my sun coral now for over two years... I feed it at least once a week and it looks great.. but it hasn't spread at all....I can't believe some of these tanks... they are spreading like zoas!!! What's the secret?

Feeding them daily.

Feeding them daily.

Really.... I don't run a skimmer on my Biocube 29 so I have a feeling if I did that I might have some issues.. but thanks for the reply!!!

Really.... I don't run a skimmer on my Biocube 29 so I have a feeling if I did that I might have some issues.. but thanks for the reply!!!

Regular water changes works great!! ;)

• 1 month later...

I recently got my third small "colony" of orange sun corals.

I'm having a hard time getting this new one to open.

I did the same thing to the new one like I did my first two sun coral frags.

I used the tupperware method on all three frags.

The first two responded really well and after about two weeks they were opening fully in my tank.

However, this latest one is giving me problems.

I've had it for 3 weeks. I try to feed it every night in a tupperware container.

I use rotifest and oysterfest to get it to open. I also drop a cube of PE mysis in there also.

Some night it eats, some nights it don't.

In y'all experience, how long do you guys keep doing the tupperware method until the coral opens fully in the main tank?

Is there something else I can add to make it eat more aggressively?

Edited by myjohnson
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a pretty big dork on camera, but here goes nothing. Some video of my tank, feeding, newly settled Tubastrea and some year old colonies from settled larvae. Starts at the 1:20 mark. Hope you enjoy.

Edited by wombat
Feeding them daily.

+1 Feeding is directly related to growth, there isn't any zooxanthallae helping these guys grow so you need to feed em, just keep up the water changes.

I no longer have the sun coral listed earlier. I sold it when I was away to make feeding the tank easier for my mom. I now have this beautiful dendro. Vote for it in the picture contest this month. JK its not great but can still be appreciated :)

IMG_0998.jpg

I'm thinking about picking up a sun coral that the LFS has. I've been watching it for a 3-4 weeks now and it's open about 80% of the times that I come in. It looks amazing! The other SCs that they have for sale are 'meh' but this one seems to be really happy for some reason.

Of course, the LFS wants to sell me the coral, but I am concerned about adding yet more complexity to the tank. The kid swears up and down that they never target feed them. He says, just feed normally and add frozen red bar cyclo to the tank once a week.

I've got a nice shaded spot with low-medium flow for the coral, but I want the expert opinions of the people that have been involved on this thread first.

thanks

Here is a pic

post-56028-1294413732_thumb.jpg!

Edited by Genj